iPhone Software v1.1.3 enhances Maps, SMS, more...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At the Macworld Expo on Tuesday Apple announced a free software update for its iPhone handset that allows users to automatically find their location using the redesigned Maps application; text message multiple people in one message; create Web Clips for their favorite websites; customize their home screen; and watch movies rented from the new iTunes Movie Rentals right on their iPhone.

New iPhones shipping from the factory will include the software update and existing iPhone customers will automatically get the update for free when they sync their iPhone with iTunes, the company said.

"iPhone doesn't stand still -- we're making it better and better all the time," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've delighted millions of users with this revolutionary and magical product and it's great to share these improvements with them."

Maps, one of the most popular and helpful applications on iPhone, has a new interface that is simpler and easier to use and adds incredible new features such as the ability to find your location automatically. With just the tap of a button, iPhone can now triangulate your position using nearby Wi-Fi base stations or cellular towers. You can use this as a starting or ending point for directions or to find local points of interest. The new hybrid map view combines map view and satellite view so you can see major street names overlaid on satellite imagery.

Users can now also create Web Clips -- icons on the home screen that take you directly to your favorite websites, including to the exact spot you have zoomed into. Web Clips are a great way to easily track websites that you frequently check such as news, blogs, sports sites and movie listings. In addition, users can now customize their home screen by repositioning any of the icons, and even create up to nine different home screens that they can easily flick between.

iPhone's new software update also adds the ability to send the same SMS text message to multiple people, and iPhone saves a history of your text messages, so with one tap you can send a new message to the same group.

With Apple's new iTunes Movie Rentals, movie fans can rent movies on their computer, easily and quickly transfer them to their iPhone, and watch them anywhere on iPhone's 3.5 inch screen. Users can also now navigate forward or backward through their movies by chapters, select alternate language tracks and view subtitles, if available.

Pricing & Availability

The iPhone software update 1.1.3 is available immediately for free via iTunes 7.5 or later for all existing iPhone customers in the US, UK, Germany and France. New iPhone products shipping from the factory will include the software update and existing iPhone customers will automatically get the update for free when they sync their iPhone with iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This shows the "Apple isn't delivering on its promises to upgrade the software on the iPhone/iTouch as they said they would" crowd that Apple is, indeed, fulfilling its promises.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I'm a little miffed that iPhones get this for free but us Touch owners have to pay $20.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm a little miffed that iPhones get this for free but us Touch owners have to pay $20.

There's a reason for this, but it's complicated.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    where's 10.5.2?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

where's 10.5.2?

<removed comment... mis-read question.>
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I keep hitting refresh but it still says 1.2 is the latest version. Anyone else get this downloaded yet? Granted I do live in the hill country and perhaps they are releasing areas based on what they can keep up with
  • Reply 7 of 56
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Got it! Its at the itune store. It took awhile before it saw the update. Big 162.1 MB download. The pin for my location is about 20 feet off in Maps. Cann't wait to try it on the ski slopes this weekend.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    20$ for something that Jailbreak will do for free. There is no compelling reason to upgrade to 1.1.3 if you have Jailbreak. Can anyone mention one?

I love my touch but this nickel and diming of faithful Apple customers has got to stop.

Hopefully after enough pressure is put on Apple they will make this upgrade available for free like every other upgrade.

And if Apple has an explanation for why I have to pay. Give it to me straight, I'm an adult, I'm sure I can handle the Sarbanes Oxley chat.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    1.1.3 for iPod Touch is free too (a 165.5MB download). It's the extra apps that are $20 and they are a separate download.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

1.1.3 for iPod Touch is free too (a 165.5MB download). It's the extra apps that are $20 and they are a separate download.

If that's the case, the whole thing's very misleading.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    So users that bought after today will get their apps updated and their software will include mail and all of these apps and people that didn't buy them will have to buy these apps. So why don't i just return my itouch under warranty and get then new apps on the new replacement itouch they give me or are they going to only upgrade the few hundred thousand people who bought touches pre Macworld with old software indefinitely?

This is going to be another PR nightmare for Apple. Because many people are going to complain about it. These apps are not bundled software. Otherwise they would be available for sale separately for iPhone users as well as old itouches.

Just do the right thing Apple make the apps available, move everyone up to the same level and move forward.

Stupid little things like this keep Jailbreak in business. There is always a bite out of the Apple with Apple. Why do they make it so hard for me to love them.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

20$ for something that Jailbreak will do for free. There is no compelling reason to upgrade to 1.1.3 if you have Jailbreak. Can anyone mention one?

I love my touch but this nickel and diming of faithful Apple customers has got to stop.

Hopefully after enough pressure is put on Apple they will make this upgrade available for free like every other upgrade.

And if Apple has an explanation for why I have to pay. Give it to me straight, I'm an adult, I'm sure I can handle the Sarbanes Oxley chat.

That's a ridiculous comparison.

Jailbreak is an unauthorized bit of software. If it works for you, fine, but don't compare Apple to these guys. most people would rightly prefer to get it from Apple.

Reason or not, five new programs for $20 is little enough to pay.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

If that's the case, the whole thing's very misleading.

No it's not. That's exactly what Jobs said. The update is free, but the programs cost $20.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No it's not. That's exactly what Jobs said. The update is free, but the programs cost $20.

I'm talking about Apple's texts and so on:

• Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a ridiculous comparison.

Jailbreak is an unauthorized bit of software. If it works for you, fine, but don't compare Apple to these guys. most people would rightly prefer to get it from Apple.

Reason or not, five new programs for $20 is little enough to pay.

They're not new.

and new touch owners don't pay for them.

So why do I not return my touch and get a new upgrade to the new apps for free?

I'll take the store credit.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    this MWExpo was probably one of the most disappointing ones. This mediocre iPhone update is missing many basic features such as: voice-recording, video-capture, voice-dialing. WTF
  • Reply 17 of 56
    i'm getting MUCH better wireless performance with the update.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I'm talking about Apple's texts and so on:

That doesn't say anything. Was that from the store, or just a blurb?

Last I looked the store was still down.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

They're not new.

and new touch owners don't pay for them.

So why do I not return my touch and get a new upgrade to the new apps for free?

I'll take the store credit.

So, do it!

I don't really care what the reason is. Apple is allowed to sell features.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

this MWExpo was probably one of the most disappointing ones. This mediocre iPhone update is missing many basic features such as: voice-recording, video-capture, voice-dialing. WTF

No, the phone update was a very good update. Just because the features you want weren't there doesn't make it bad.