Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

About 7% of computer buyers.

You shure? 7% of the mac user base i might agree

But I'm not buying it and i'm one of those 7% you mentioning.
  • Reply 62 of 399
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anybody else reminded of the Cube when they look at the Air's price/performance/functionality mix?
  • Reply 63 of 399
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    where's 10.5.2 ?
  • Reply 64 of 399
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?

Nobody needs it, that's why Apple have decided to build one......
  • Reply 65 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

The markets down OVER 200 Points! As goes Apple so goes the rest of the market

Awhile back I was watching Wall Street Journal on TV, and they said that Apple and it's products have created a BILLION dollar PLUS a year 3rd party market, and when Apple is doing well, so goes the market.

They called it "iEconomics" and they said this VERY seriously!

Skip

No, as the market goes, so goes Apple.

If Apple went down 10 points, and the NASDAQ dropped 5 points, then it could be said that Apple led a drop in the market, but not if it's down by 50.

The markets are down more than 200.

But I think there is some disappointment with what wasn't announced.

But Apple was down to $165.41. Right now it's at $167.00. It seems to be bouncing around a lot right now, so where it will end today is a matter of speculation right now.
  • Reply 66 of 399
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?

Let's see... somebody who doesn't need an optical drive (why, when you have a network?), doesn't need a lot of disk space (remember, 64+ GB is actually a lot of data... 50 million floppy disks or so), doesn't use firewire peripherals, and who doesn't do anything particularly processor intensive.

That actually describes a very large number of people, probably most of the computer buying market. The real question is how many of them want to spend $1800+ for a pretty thin notebook (or is that "a pretty, thin" notebook?).
  • Reply 67 of 399
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Anybody else reminded of the Cube when they look at the Air's price/performance/functionality mix?

No, did you have a look at the competition's prices? Like Sony?
  • Reply 68 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You shure? 7% of the mac user base i might agree

But I'm not buying it and i'm one of those 7% you mentioning.

The numbers are that 10% of portable buyers are buying ultralghts. Portables are, right now. 60% of the overall computer market.

That gives ultralights about 7% of the overall market.

There are no numbers for Apple, as Apple doesn't sell ultralights, or, at least they didn't until today.
  • Reply 69 of 399
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Anybody care to explain what the PATA (Parallel ATA) of the 80gig HD means?

I know what parallel vs serial is technically but I want to know the (dis)avantages of this specific thing over SATA.
  • Reply 70 of 399
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, I was disappointed in the lack of any info about Penyrn upgrades for any of the other machines. I also expected Apple to take advantage of that to offer better graphics for the iMac. My daughter and I waited for this keynote before buying her a new machine, and now, I don't know what to do.

After the Mac Pro announcement, I didn't really expect any updates to their current machines.

I feel like they've done this before. Announce something brand new at the keynote, and in 4-6 weeks, after the dust settles, other machines get their speed bumps.

The Mac Pro was only announced right away because it was in such desperate need of an upgrade.
  • Reply 71 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Don't forget, no Firewire port either. So there's just no way to import video at all without using another computer.

My new Canon HD video camera doesn't have FW; it only has USB 2, so this will do just fine.

---

There is Ethernet with an adapter.
  • Reply 72 of 399
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

This is common. The stock goes up on positive rumors and then sells on the news. Its a key part of financial psychology. Similarly, stocks can go down on negative rumors and then rally on the actual news.

I know, that was exactly my point
  • Reply 73 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Anybody care to explain what the PATA (Parallel ATA) of the 80gig HD means?

I know what parallel vs serial is technically but I want to know the (dis)avantages of this specific thing over SATA.

It's the older standard but it probably still does pretty well here. I don't know if there are 1.8" SATA drives yet.
  • Reply 74 of 399
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Let's see... somebody who doesn't need an optical drive (why, when you have a network?), doesn't need a lot of disk space (remember, 64+ GB is actually a lot of data... 50 million floppy disks or so)

What era are you from? 50 million floppy disks? Who cares. 64+ GB is nothing today. You can't compare from back when. Yeah, there was a time when 5megs was considered big. But only then and no other time. Today 120GB drives are standard and 500GB drives are common.
  • Reply 75 of 399
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Looks like a cool laptop, and I'm sure it'll be even be cooler with hands on.

But, I was hoping for something just a bit smaller in screen size. This looks like it'll still be larger in area than my 12" PowerBook. And it looks like another glossy screen only device.

I like to tour on my motorcycle, where space is tight. While the thinness is great, the width and length are still on the large size to fit in some hard bags (on the bike). I wish Apple would have made some of the compromises Steve was proud of avoiding. Maybe about a 10-11" screen? Losing the firewire port is an issue for me too.

My daughter, who is a college sophomore, was also hoping for something just a tad smaller--but the thinness may do the trick for her. She also dislikes the glossy screen though, and that forces her into the 15" minimum.
  • Reply 76 of 399
    I'll buy, but would like to know what weight savings and added life the SSD gets me.
  • Reply 77 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

What era are you from? 50 million floppy disks? Who cares.

I'd watch who you're dissing. Programmer is not someone to take lightly.
  • Reply 78 of 399
    ONE usb port?! How do i run Logic with an FW audio interface and an external drive FW800 ?!
  • Reply 79 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Good points, but how is a "Pro" going to capture HDV1080i / connect to a DM2000 / control a video projector over CAT5 / connect to an external audio interface for ProTools & Logic / render video without FW800 / add an ADAT interface / use Remote Capture with a EOS 1D and an external drive?

with ONE USB port?!

It's your lucky day!

Apple have made available a machine called the Macbook Pro.

Check it out, you'll be impressed.
  • Reply 80 of 399
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'm sold. It's exactly what I wanted, but man does that price sting... $2k for the base model with AppleCare and a SuperDrive... AppleCare is really a must with this thing and its non-user replaceable battery... \ I love it, but I was hoping to end up at like $1700 out the door...

If you just ordered post up in the I just ordered thread at macbookairforum.com.