Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 101 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

It's your lucky day!

Apple have made available a machine called the Macbook Pro.

Check it out, you'll be impressed.

yeah, you're right, it was in response to someone who said "So, even though it doesn't carry the moniker of "Pro", it clearly is in that line."

so i agree with you, Pro for a Pro...
  • Reply 102 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

The announcement that I was tipped-off about didn't actually materialise.

But I was told that it would happen 'in the next few days' rather than today, so there's still time yet. I suspect that it'll be a small button announcement (if even that), so it shouldn't detract too much from the MacBook Air on the home page.

Which announcement was that? I don't recall reading your post.
  • Reply 103 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

lol ok. I'll keep an eye out for the forum police. I wouldn't want to be flamed by a programmer who speaks in terms of floppy disks, the world wide web and cyber space.

Good one, that.

• Reply 104 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bucci View Post

I'm a bit dissapointed. While I think it looks really nice, the price doesn't justify the specs. I'm sure there will be some people who drop $1799 (minimum) for the cool factor, however.

Anyone think there will ever be a 2nd revision?

Of course they'll be a revision. How many Apple products?or any tech company for that matter?haven't revised their products?

What do you mean the price doesn't justify the specs? If I look at any desktop machine specs and price and then at a notebook the price will not justify the "specs". Small form factor machines always cost more than other models. This machine is a niche market item; that niche seems to be growing but it's still a niche, just the same.

It looks like the battery is not user-replaceable. That will surely piss off some people.

PS: I was wrong. I didn't think the banner would correlate directly to any product.
  • Reply 105 of 399
    I haven't gotten any work done this morning
  • Reply 106 of 399
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Let's see... somebody who doesn't need an optical drive (why, when you have a network?), doesn't need a lot of disk space (remember, 64+ GB is actually a lot of data... 50 million floppy disks or so), doesn't use firewire peripherals, and who doesn't do anything particularly processor intensive.

That actually describes a very large number of people, probably most of the computer buying market. The real question is how many of them want to spend $1800+ for a pretty thin notebook (or is that "a pretty, thin" notebook?).

I think the computer would be a better machine with the option to upgrade ram and removable battery. Battery life would be nice.

With that said, you are correct. People are missing the point. This machine is not for video capturing/editing/3d modeling for the international space station. It is for Pro's. Video people are not the only professinals in business. Professionals. People who run companies like CEO, CFO, etc. that need lightweight and portability with little hassle. Essentially, this is a throw away machine for the people who can afford it.
  • Reply 107 of 399
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Which announcement was that? I don't recall reading your post.

Thank you, I was wondering what I missed...
  • Reply 108 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCMacFan View Post

1. What is the weight saving with SSD vs. traditional hard drive? (Was 3.0 lbs SSD and the 1.8 is heavier or that the SSD brings it down under 3.0?)

2. What is the difference in battery life between the SSD and the traditional HDD? SSDs are nice because they are lighter and use less juice, does this get us around 6 or 7 hours of use?

3. Anyone know if they have floor models in their stores even if they do not ship for 2 weeks?

4. Anyone wonder why they are not narrower given the excess space on either side of the screen?

5. Wonder what the sound is like? Where are the speakers?

6. Curious on the size of the power adapter. Said 45w power adapter as opposed to 65 and 80 for the MB and MBP respectively as I recall.

When the store is back up, a lot of that will be there.
  • Reply 109 of 399
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course they'll be a revision. How many Apple products?or any tech company for that matter?haven't revised their products?

How can you answer this question and without mentioning invisible gas generators
  • Reply 110 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Indeed it does. I'm left thinking the next MacBook Pro should have the Air's keyboard and trackpad too.

Me too.

Quote:

Supposedly Penryn chips are in short supply due to a manufacturing problem. Perhaps Apple had the new MBP ready but are waiting on better supplies. Perhaps they also just didn't want to grab the limelight away from the Air too.

There have been rumors to that effect, but nothing from Intel has verified it.

I also figure they didn't want to spoil the announcement.

But he could have given us some notification in a "just one more thing, Penyrn will be in updated machines in the next few weeks."

Or something like that.

I just hope we won't have to wait until NAB, as it looks we will for the new monitor line (if there will BE a new monitor line!).
  • Reply 111 of 399
    Quote:

Erm. Nope. But all isn't lost for the OP ...

Again, Apple have already thought about this and offer a couple of options:

1) Macbook

2) Macbook Pro

That's pretty smart of them!

yes, they're very smart. sigh...

..."Oh Apple, i love you"

• Reply 112 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

yeah, you're right, it was in response to someone who said "So, even though it doesn't carry the moniker of "Pro", it clearly is in that line."

so i agree with you, Pro for a Pro...

When I said that, I was referring to the case material, and pricing.

But, again, you guys can be very narrow minded as to who a "pro" is.
  • Reply 113 of 399
    Not my thing, this new MacBook. But I think it will do well -- no one until now has tried to produce a subnotebook that has a full-size keyboard (and the 12 inch PowerBook does not qualify, sorry, too heavy). Apple figured light-but-not-small would be a winner, especially if it's thin enough. I think they're right.

Seeing as with Time Capsule and iTV we'll probably never see the standalone headless desktop I had hoped for to replace my G4, I want Apple to make some needed changes to their existing laptops.

1) redesign the case of the 15 inch MacBook Pro so that the display opens wide enough. It just does not open enough as it is. As it is, they have basically a very good pro laptop that is ruined ergonomically by that one thing.

2) put some half decent LCD panels on the 13 inch MacBook. Hopefully they'll all be going to LED backlight soon.

3) offer a MacBook 13 with full ATI video. Some of us would like MBP power in a smaller package. After all, isn't that partly what separate keyboards and monitors are for, so that you don't have to carry everything all the time?

4) changes to both the MBP cases so that you don't need two hours, a full set of screwdrivers and a degree in electrical engineering to change a hard drive.
  • Reply 114 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

1. What is the weight saving with SSD vs. traditional hard drive? (Was 3.0 lbs SSD and the 1.8 is heavier or that the SSD brings it down under 3.0?)

2. What is the difference in battery life between the SSD and the traditional HDD? SSDs are nice because they are lighter and use less juice, does this get us around 6 or 7 hours of use?

3. Anyone know if they have floor models in their stores even if they do not ship for 2 weeks?

4. Anyone wonder why they are not narrower given the excess space on either side of the screen?

5. Wonder what the sound is like? Where are the speakers?

6. Curious on the size of the power adapter. Said 45w power adapter as opposed to 65 and 80 for the MB and MBP respectively as I recall.

melgross is online now Report Post \tReply With Quote

No I mean the physical store since I work a few blocks from one of the NYC stores.
  • Reply 115 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

How can you answer this question and without mentioning invisible gas generators

I was being facetious.

Of course apple revises their machines. The question didn't have to be asked.
  • Reply 116 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

yes, they're very smart. sigh...

..."Oh Apple, i love you"

Why the indignation?

Perhaps I just don't understand the sense of entitlement that's permeating these threads.
  • Reply 116 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I haven't gotten any work done this morning

I don't have any work to get done!
  • Reply 118 of 399
    I'll be buying one as soon as I can, my old macbook needs replacement anyway. I am slightly disappointed about the SSD being so expensive, but I know I was kidding myself thinking it wouldn't be a big hit on the price. This is a nice, portable machine, and personally I won't miss many of the missing ports. The mono audio on the other hand is ridiculous, but I'm sure audiopollution will be quick to point out that apple has just released many remedies to this situation called 'ipods'.
  • Reply 119 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

The only thing I do find disappointing in this is that it is using a 4200 PATA (Parallel) drive instead of using SATA. Why? You know there is a performance hit on that and that's where the bottleneck is going to be. Why did Apple decide to put a drive in that uses PATA. Even the Macbook uses SATA.

Does anyone make SATA 1.8" drives?

The only ones I found with Google were all SSDs.
  • Reply 120 of 399
    Quote:

No I mean the physical store since I work a few blocks from one of the NYC stores.

I would give it no more than a couple days, assuming this will be available now. That's why I referred you to the site. If it's available NOW, it should be on display in the stores today, or tomorrow. If not, then it will take a bit longer.