Randy Newman!?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seriously, was no one else available?

Doesn't really seem to go with Apple's imagine.............

Can anyone out there make sense of this? Has he done something recently or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    seriously, WTF?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Seriously, was no one else available?

Doesn't really seem to go with Apple's imagine.............

Can anyone out there make sense of this? Has he done something recently or something?

Hmmm... "doesn't fit"? You've never seen ummm.... ANY Pixar film?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Th0r View Post

Hmmm... "doesn't fit"? You've never seen ummm.... ANY Pixar film?

So? Just because he does Pixar movies doesn't mean he fits the image of Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lol Should've been Kanye. :P
  • Reply 5 of 15
    We all know Randy. We all know the man with a post-nasal drip sound that makes him millions.

We all loved Toy Story and more.

We all know Disney is now on-board with the rest.

We all know there are many artists who do soundtracks.

What we all know is we are sick of Randy Newman advertising for Disney/PIXAR and Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

We all know Randy. We all know the man with a post-nasal drip sound that makes him millions.

We all loved Toy Story and more.

We all know Disney is now on-board with the rest.

We all know there are many artists who do soundtracks.

What we all know is we are sick of Randy Newman advertising for Disney/PIXAR and Apple.

Agreed. On all points. =D
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Learn a little about music before you try to speak for all of us. I'd take a Randy Newman over the flava-of-the-month rapper any day.

And speaking of...didn't I hear a rumor that some nobody named "Just Blaze" was spouting off that Apple booked him at Macworld and, in exchange, he'd get one of the new thin laptops being announced? I'd love to think that Jobs heard about him shooting off his mouth and pulled the plug...calling in his old friend Randy instead.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacedog View Post

I'd love to think that Jobs heard about him shooting off his mouth and pulled the plug...calling in his old friend Randy instead.

Seems very plausible (and fitting) to me... Tho, one might think a known rapper gets more than $1800 for a live performance (being retail cost of the laptop).
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

seriously, WTF?

Randy's a genius, and if you don't get that, you really don't get Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post

Randy's a genius, and if you don't get that, you really don't get Apple.

...you really didn't get PIXAR's Toy Story is about all you can say about it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacedog View Post

Learn a little about music before you try to speak for all of us. I'd take a Randy Newman over the flava-of-the-month rapper any day.

And speaking of...didn't I hear a rumor that some nobody named "Just Blaze" was spouting off that Apple booked him at Macworld and, in exchange, he'd get one of the new thin laptops being announced? I'd love to think that Jobs heard about him shooting off his mouth and pulled the plug...calling in his old friend Randy instead.

I can't stomach [Randy is a wonderful composer, annoying nasally sounding singer, while the other shouldn't be even considered an artist] either one of them. If we're going to get a contemporary artist then why the hell not just contact Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Bono, etc?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    btw he is fun-ny!

watch him on the stream
  • Reply 13 of 15
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:

I can't stomach [Randy is a wonderful composer, annoying nasally sounding singer, while the other shouldn't be even considered an artist] either one of them. If we're going to get a contemporary artist then why the hell not just contact Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Bono, etc?

I could easily see Bono, given Apple's affiliation with U2. Sure, Newman was in several PIXAR films, yadda yadda, but really, Apple's here trying to appeal to the stylish masses with the MacBook Air and then they bring in Randy Newman? All I could think of was the impressions of him in Family Guy, it didn't really keep me on the "MacWorld '08 is awesome" train.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I was taken aback by the political nature of his first song. What was that about? And whose issue was being pushed here?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I think they got the wrong Newman - Thunderclap Newman should have been the choice...

(If you don't understand why, Google it! )