Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced a $20 software upgrade for its iPod touch digital media player that adds Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes applications to the touch-screen-based device.

The iPod touch software upgrade also includes new features such as Web Clips, a customizable home screen and beginning today, the ability to watch iTunes Movie Rentals. New iPod touch products shipping from the factory will include the software upgrade and existing iPod touch customers can get the software upgrade for $19.99 by purchasing and downloading it from iTunes, Apple said.

?These amazing new mobile applications make iPod touch not only the best iPod, but the best Wi-Fi mobile device in the world,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. ?With its revolutionary touch interface and software, plus its stunning 3.5 inch screen, iPod touch is evolving into the first mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform of the 21st century.?

Mail on iPod touch is a rich HTML email client that fetches email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos and graphics along with the text of the email. Users can configure Mail for Google?s Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, .Mac Mail or most POP or IMAP based mail services with just a few clicks.

Maps on iPod touch features the ability to automatically find your current location using nearby Wi-Fi base stations, and use it as a starting or ending point for directions or to find local points of interest. Users can get real-time traffic conditions, and view maps in map or satellite view, or a hybrid view which combines map and satellite views so you can see major street names overlaid on satellite imagery.

Stocks and Weather allow users to access live stock and weather reports at their fingertips, and Notes lets you jot down information on-the-go using the intelligent keyboard.

In addition, the iPod touch home screen can now be customized, allowing users to reorder and add new icons, with support for up to nine different home screens which they can easily flick between. With the new Web Clips feature, you can even create custom icons on your home screen for your favorite websites. Web Clips are a great way to easily track web sites that you frequently check such as news, blogs, sports sites, movie listings and more.

With Apple?s new iTunes Movie Rentals, movie fans can rent movies on their computer, easily and quickly transfer them to their iPod touch, and watch them anywhere on iPod touch?s 3.5 inch screen. Users can also now navigate forward or backward through their movies by chapters, select alternate language tracks and view subtitles, if available.

Pricing & Availability

The software upgrade for iPod touch is available immediately. New iPod touch products shipping from the factory will include the software upgrade and existing iPod touch customers can get the software upgrade for $19.99 by purchasing and downloading it from iTunes. iTunes Movie Rentals are available in the US only.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 173
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    $20 or £13 for software that should be free? Shove off Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

$20 or £13 for software that should be free? Shove off Apple.

Indeed. Goes to show what Steve thinks of the iPod Touch owners. Sheesh.
  • Reply 3 of 173
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    That cheeky cunt wants $20 for THAT!

The chutzpah!

If you think about it for a second, his margins on the hardware alone are astronomical - in the order of 51% I believe. Now is added mail, which should have been on the original software, iTunes movie rental - useless if you're not in the US and a couple of other pissass little apps that no one will use.

My touch is already broken - the headphone jack only plays one channel and getting it serviced is a nightmare.
  • Reply 4 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

That cheeky cunt wants $20 for THAT!

The chutzpah!

If you think about it for a second, his margins on the hardware alone are astronomical - in the order of 51% I believe. Now is added mail, which should have been on the original software, iTunes movie rental - useless if you're not in the US and a couple of other pissass little apps that no one will use.

My touch is already broken - the headphone jack only plays one channel and getting it serviced is a nightmare.

I'm assuming this has to do with those same SEC regulations that necessitated the charge for the Airport N upgrade on laptops a while ago. The iPhone revenue is reported differently, thus, they can give it away for free. The Touch is just another iPod, so I guess they can't.

Of course, they could charge $5 instead of $20.
  • Reply 5 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'm assuming this has to do with those same SEC regulations that necessitated the charge for the Airport N upgrade on laptops a while ago. The iPhone revenue is reported differently, thus, they can give it away for free. The Touch is just another iPod, so I guess they can't.

Of course, they could charge $5 instead of $20.

iPod Touch was already known to be getting software upgrades and later additional apps. Not to mention the fact that everything in this pack Apps-wise was already available through the Safari Browser. What could SEC have had to do with it?
  • Reply 6 of 173
    I had this terrible little nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they might do this.

[Possibly on the basis of some silly piece of stupidly ineffective legislation....]

However, I was certain that if they did do this, they would ALSO do something like add an additional new application that would attempt to convert the hackers back onto the core software. I really I can't believe they've done this without anything new....
  • Reply 7 of 173
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The only thing that isn't just a copy & paste from the iPhone is movie rentals... so we're paying $20 for the privilege of paying Apple more money to rent movies?

I'd held off on hacking my iPod Touch until after the keynote. Now it's obvious there's no reason not to. No SDK details and now $20 for Apple to copy existing apps. I don't think so.

It's a pity. I probably would have actually used the movie rentals.
  • Reply 8 of 173
    Hmm, since when can you play games on the iPod touch? Is that bejeweled I see?

• Reply 9 of 173
    Okay, to get the customizable home page, I need to buy the update?

Just wanting to make sure I read that right. As I don't need the Mail/Notes/etc, but I'd like to have the ability to customize.
  • Reply 10 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

It's a webclip of PopCap's Bejewelled WebApp

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

Just wanting to make sure I read that right. As I don't need the Mail/Notes/etc, but I'd like to have the ability to customize.

We're unclear. It seemed that way, but now some people and certain (Not all) Apple materials suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 11 of 173
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Quote:

MacWorld rocked! But this is not a nice update. Teorically 20$ is ok for this update, but it should be free anyway.

In defeding of Apple:

I sell iPod touchs and noone returned with problems it is a incredible product, so if you got one problem just go to an Apple Store... the productes is fantastic, this update is questionable i agree.
  • Reply 12 of 173
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

Webclip.
  • Reply 13 of 173
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

No. 1.1.3 is free but the apps cost $20.
  • Reply 14 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

No. 1.1.3 is free but the apps cost $20.

I'm going to need to seem some proof, cos:

suggests otherwise
  • Reply 15 of 173
    WTF! $20 for an upgrade that should be fee? I don't see them raising the price of the new touches. Apple is really screwing hte pooch on this one. As a newer MAC and apple user, I have loved the hardware and software, but am getting increasingly annoyed with all the public relations and user support BS. If I wanted to deal with this type of crap, I'd stick with Microsoft. SHEESH!
  • Reply 16 of 173
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    What a f....n rip-off! I've already dropped $400 on an iPod and now Apple wants another $20 for software that should have been there in the first place! KMA Steve!!!
  • Reply 17 of 173
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I will be gladly paying the £12.99 for the host of new features that are on offer which certainly were never listed nor implied in the original specifications. This is a huge capability uplift for a very small cost (although of course we're naturally paying more in the UK!).

Toyota have never offered me an upgrade on my car, Panasonic have never offered me an upgrade on our Home Cinema equipment. Thank you Apple for offering us this upgrade without having to buy new hardware.

One question though.... how does a WiFi router/hotpspot know where it is in the world to work with Maps????
  • Reply 18 of 173
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Give me a feaken break! Why exactly should these applications be free? I get tired of people thinking they should be given crap for free. Apple, like any other company is out to make money, period. They're not here to provide good will to consumers. I would hope you buy ANY product based on its capabilities at that time and not what you HOPE it will do at some point in the future. You're an idiot if you make purchasing decisions in that manner.

Yes, it would be nice for Apple to give away these applications for free, that doesn't mean they should have to. It's not like iPhone users got anything for free either.
  • Reply 19 of 173
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    fm Radio Remote support in the update?
  • Reply 20 of 173
    I can now confirm that ipod touch gets 1.1.3 for free.