Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 121 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Why the indignation?

Perhaps I just don't understand the sense of entitlement that's permeating these threads.

I don't either. It's a very teenage attitude.
  • Reply 122 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I believe your thinking is really screwed up on this. No product is for everyone or fit every need, so don't assume such, don't try to cram a round peg into a square hole. Besides, FW audio interfaces aren't that common. If you need to run one, get a MBP.

yes sir. 5000+ posts?! wow...you must be waiting for a lot of video to render....?!
  • Reply 123 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by green-bee.salsa View Post

Where are the Macbook / Macbook Pro Updates???

They came out 6 months ago.

Quote:

That is only a concept, not a production device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

\ ... people will find anything to whine about.

Apparently so. Today this board feels like Digg.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I don't really get that thinnest hype. It used to be "less is more" but now less is just much less. It might be art but I don't really get why someone would buy this. It looks nice but no drive, such a small hard drive lack of firewire and a slow processor compared to a mbp. Who buys this kinda stuff anyway?

The same goes for my iPod. There is no optical drive, it can't hold anywhere near as much as my Mac Pro and don't even get me started on the processing power. it has such a small screen. Why can't they put a 30" display into my iPod Nano. The humanity!

It's almost like Apple made the MacBook Air to fit a specific customer and not for your average, everyday Joe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raszi View Post

maybe with a USB HUB?

Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 124 of 399
    Hmmmm....

It seems to me that Apple is directly going for the women and/or gay community here. They have to expand market share somehow, right? Truthfully, and objectively, ask yourself, what is the advantage to buying the Air? This machine is exclusively for checking desperate housewives blogs, nothing else. Another underpowered, overpriced, underwhelming hardware release. Are you guys really so wimpy that you need to have the lightest notebook on earth? Was that Macbook really that heavy? Keep buying into the "design" of Apple. Staring at the shiny outside, you will never realize that computers are only tools, not fashion statements.
  • Reply 125 of 399
    Am I the only person waiting for Apple to announce that they've teamed with Nike for a special edition Macbook Air Jordan

Quick Mockup:

Or the Nike+Apple version

• Reply 126 of 399
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was being facetious.

Of course apple revises their machines. The question didn't have to be asked.

Oh, I'm with you. I loved your post. The original post was so ridiculous that it demanded a ridiculous response...
  • Reply 127 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Does anyone make SATA 1.8" drives?

The only ones I found with Google were all SSDs.

I believe all the HDD iPods use PATA drives. I'm guessing they don't make SATA drives.
  • Reply 128 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvsryan View Post

Hmmmm....

It seems to me that Apple is directly going for the women and/or gay community here.

Justify that comment *really* quickly.

I mean it.
  • Reply 129 of 399
    sorry, I did not mean any harm. I just mean that it is a new direction; for on the go designers, people who do not sit in front of computers all day, non professionals who just want email, nothing else. You can retract my post, if you wish.
  • Reply 130 of 399
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Hmmmm....

It seems to me that Apple is directly going for the women and/or gay community here. They have to expand market share somehow, right? Truthfully, and objectively, ask yourself, what is the advantage to buying the Air? This machine is exclusively for checking desperate housewives blogs, nothing else. Another underpowered, overpriced, underwhelming hardware release. Are you guys really so wimpy that you need to have the lightest notebook on earth? Was that Macbook really that heavy? Keep buying into the "design" of Apple. Staring at the shiny outside, you will never realize that computers are only tools, not fashion statements.

Ummm you choose this as your thoughtfull first post to AppleInsider?

If you want to complain about the machine you will have a lot of (whiny) company, but there is no need for random stereotyping...
  • Reply 131 of 399
    Quote:

sorry, I did not mean any harm. I just mean that it is a new direction; for on the go designers, people who do not sit in front of computers all day, non professionals who just want email, nothing else. You can retract my post, if you wish.

You can edit your own post. Please do so.
  • Reply 132 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Anybody else reminded of the Cube when they look at the Air's price/performance/functionality mix?

That's exactly what I thought. Wasn't the Cube listed at 1799 when it came out? The main difference though is that there is (IMO) more of an advantage to less weight and ultrathin than there was to the Cube's "space saving" design (it took up less space and looked beautiful except that it was supposed to replace computers that did not sit on teh desk top and therefore it actually took up more space).
  • Reply 133 of 399
    OK so we have new hardware!

Where is 10.2!!! I want my bugs fixed!!!!!!
  • Reply 134 of 399
    Whilst i love the new Air i'm baffled by Apple's UK currency conversion.

Ok i know you guys in the US have sales tax and we also get stung with V.A.T but since when did $1799 convert to £1200 give or take a penny.

Nope i'm not going for it.

I've paid £3500 for G4's, G5's etc.. in the past but i've had enough. I wouldn't care i sold my two month old Macbook Pro on Ebay last week in anticipation but i'm not getting ripped off. If it was £1000 i'd feel this was fair. \

On another note. Just updated my iPod Touch with the new apps for $20 or £12.99 by Apple's broken currency converter (again not the £10 i'd expect Apple) and it's transformed my iPod. Well worth it IMO.
  • Reply 135 of 399
    Quote:

Hmmmm....

Staring at the shiny outside, you will never realize that computers are only tools, not fashion statements.

iBook Clamshell, Pismo, Titanium Powerbook.... design has Always been the principal for Apple.... well, not terribly the the Al PB's and MBPro. I have to believe that the MBPro's will get a long overdue new skin and it will be with the Air's design cues.... slightly curving up of the underside. I'm glad to see that the design team has found a way to bring style to the minimal lines of MBPro and AL Powerbook.

So... no FIrewire or PCMCIA, et al.... that will be the MacBook Pro. Same styling cues, pro use. Summer '08?
  • Reply 136 of 399
    Quote:

Hmmmm....

They are tools, which is why a sledge hammer doesn't a replace a jointer's mallet just because it's bigger.
  • Reply 137 of 399
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are tools, which is why a sledge hammer doesn't a replace a jointer's mallet just because it's bigger.

I love this analogy
  • Reply 138 of 399
    These would be my $0.02

Why PATA? Because SATA Solid State Drives are very difficult to come by, usually cost substantially more, and have lower capacities. Apple just decided not to have two different mainboard designs (one if you pick an HD and a different one for an SSD).

No firewire? It was well said before that not every professional is a photographer or video editor. I can't say I've never used my firewire port.

Price? Have you ever looked at a Sony TZ? You do get an integrated drive, but have to contend with a single core ultra low volt 1.0-1.3 ghz processor and costs around $3,700 if you spring for the SSD!

Non-user-replaceable battery... just like an ipod, iphone... like this should have surprised or angered anyone.

From Samsung's SSD site (http://www.samsungssd.com/what_is_ss...fficiency.html)

Active Power User: 1W SSD / 2.1W HDD

Idle: 0.1W / 1.5W

Standby: 0.06W / 0.2W

Its also 40% faster sequential read, 30% faster seq. write (maximum transfer rates)

Intels Metro notebook never went into production. It was just a prototype/demo.

Personally, I think its a great design. Its certainly not for everyone, but I think there are definitely people out there who will not mind lacking connectivity and drives in exchange for beautiful and very portable design. If Sony made this it would be like the X505 (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review952.html) it would be going for $3,500+.
  • Reply 139 of 399
    You can't defy the laws of physics people!
  • Reply 140 of 399
    Quote:

Hmmmm....

o.O

Okay, I'll be honest, I'm not offended by this statement, Although, I'll let you in on a secret, I'm a woman, who also happens to be gay, and as cute as I think this machine is, it's not for me. I'm not going to forgo what I need power-wise for a cute wrapping. I have a G5 Quad Powermac, a 2.44GHz AluMac and a 1st Gen Macbook, not because they're aesthetically pleasing, but because they're what I need for work and school.

So next time you go to paint entire groups of people, close the window, and think how foolish you come across when you say things like this.