Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 141 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witheredmind View Post

These would be my $0.02

Why PATA? Because SATA Solid State Drives are very difficult to come by, usually cost substantially more, and have lower capacities. Apple just decided not to have two different mainboard designs (one if you pick an HD and a different one for an SSD).

No firewire? It was well said before that not every professional is a photographer or video editor. I can't say I've never used my firewire port.

Price? Have you ever looked at a Sony TZ? You do get an integrated drive, but have to contend with a single core ultra low volt 1.0-1.3 ghz processor and costs around $3,700 if you spring for the SSD!

Non-user-replaceable battery... just like an ipod, iphone... like this should have surprised or angered anyone.

From Samsung's SSD site (http://www.samsungssd.com/what_is_ss...fficiency.html)

Active Power User: 1W SSD / 2.1W HDD

Idle: 0.1W / 1.5W

Standby: 0.06W / 0.2W

Its also 40% faster sequential read, 30% faster seq. write (maximum transfer rates)

Intels Metro notebook never went into production. It was just a prototype/demo.

Personally, I think its a great design. Its certainly not for everyone, but I think there are definitely people out there who will not mind lacking connectivity and drives in exchange for beautiful and very portable design. If Sony made this it would be like the X505 (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review952.html) it would be going for $3,500+.

That is worth at least 03¢. Nice post. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 142 of 399
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Even if they will be announced for the end of the month, that;s only two weeks away. Apple has announced machines a month before they became available. I don't understand this one.

I'm not saying that I particularly understand it either. I'm just saying that this is a relatively common apple practice.
  • Reply 143 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Ok i know you guys in the US have sales tax and we also get stung with V.A.T but since when did $1799 convert to £1200 give or take a penny.

US price is without tax. UK price is with tax. The UK price in US terms is £1020 or just over $2000, so it's only a $200/£100-ish premium which is about normal for an Apple laptop.

The base MacBook Pro is $1999 in the USA or £1105 here without tax, a difference of $173.

Some of that difference is probably import tax as it's higher here than the USA.
  • Reply 144 of 399
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    whose really buying this?

no ethernet, no firewire, no optical drive. come on.

and is it only glossy display?
  • Reply 145 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

yes sir. 5000+ posts?! wow...you must be waiting for a lot of video to render....?!

Wow! That wiseass remark really contributed a lot.
  • Reply 146 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvsryan View Post

Hmmmm....

It seems to me that Apple is directly going for the women and/or gay community here. They have to expand market share somehow, right? Truthfully, and objectively, ask yourself, what is the advantage to buying the Air? This machine is exclusively for checking desperate housewives blogs, nothing else. Another underpowered, overpriced, underwhelming hardware release. Are you guys really so wimpy that you need to have the lightest notebook on earth? Was that Macbook really that heavy? Keep buying into the "design" of Apple. Staring at the shiny outside, you will never realize that computers are only tools, not fashion statements.

It's a good thing your post was a joke, or otherwise, people here would think that you're a moron.
  • Reply 147 of 399
    Looks great, congrats to the Apple design team (again)

Just checked the online store and thought I should mention that the price is $1,699 ($100 off) after an educational discount. It's a bargain
  • Reply 148 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is worth at least 03¢. Nice post. Welcome to AI.

Thanks!

I forgot one thing.

SSD weighs in at about 75g whereas a HD is about 365g, which means the laptop would weigh about 0.6lbs less with SDD... a lot for considering how light the laptop already is (though probably not $1,000 a lot haha)!
  • Reply 149 of 399
    Quote:

These would be my $0.02

Why PATA? Because SATA Solid State Drives are very difficult to come by, usually cost substantially more, and have lower capacities. Apple just decided not to have two different mainboard designs (one if you pick an HD and a different one for an SSD).

No firewire? It was well said before that not every professional is a photographer or video editor. I can't say I've never used my firewire port.

Price? Have you ever looked at a Sony TZ? You do get an integrated drive, but have to contend with a single core ultra low volt 1.0-1.3 ghz processor and costs around $3,700 if you spring for the SSD!

Non-user-replaceable battery... just like an ipod, iphone... like this should have surprised or angered anyone.

From Samsung's SSD site (http://www.samsungssd.com/what_is_ss...fficiency.html)

Active Power User: 1W SSD / 2.1W HDD

Idle: 0.1W / 1.5W

Standby: 0.06W / 0.2W

Its also 40% faster sequential read, 30% faster seq. write (maximum transfer rates)

Intels Metro notebook never went into production. It was just a prototype/demo.

Personally, I think its a great design. Its certainly not for everyone, but I think there are definitely people out there who will not mind lacking connectivity and drives in exchange for beautiful and very portable design. If Sony made this it would be like the X505 (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review952.html) it would be going for $3,500+.

interesting numbers... guess Apple's rightly priced then.

Although, this is not an iPod or iPhone where batteries are expected to not be accessible. But on a laptop -- who expected this?
  • Reply 150 of 399
    EeePC should announce their new UMPC's soon. I'm not understanding the big deal with "thin", lighter I can udnerstand, but lighter doesn't have to equal thin. I guess I'm just mad because I didn't get what I wanted.
  • Reply 151 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

OK so we have new hardware!

Where is 10.2!!! I want my bugs fixed!!!!!!

You have bugs?

Don't look to Apple. Go to the doctor!

Sorry. I just couldn't help it.
  • Reply 152 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

whose really buying this?

no ethernet, no firewire, no optical drive. come on.

and is it only glossy display?

If this had existed in July, I would have bought it and kept my iMac, instead of selling my iMac and buying a MBP.
  • Reply 153 of 399
    Why? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

If this had existed in July, I would have bought it and kept my iMac, instead of selling my iMac and buying a MBP.

• Reply 154 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmcdivitt View Post

I'll be buying one as soon as I can, my old macbook needs replacement anyway. I am slightly disappointed about the SSD being so expensive, but I know I was kidding myself thinking it wouldn't be a big hit on the price. This is a nice, portable machine, and personally I won't miss many of the missing ports. The mono audio on the other hand is ridiculous, but I'm sure audiopollution will be quick to point out that apple has just released many remedies to this situation called 'ipods'.

A mono audio port does not mean mono sound out, just a single speaker. There is a headphone jack and that will give you stereo (if analog) audio ...
  • Reply 155 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

interesting numbers... guess Apple's rightly priced then.

Although, this is not an iPod or iPhone where batteries are expected to not be accessible. But on a laptop -- who expected this?

Well, I meant more that its not like a integrated battery is not a new thing for Apple to do. I admit that it was a bit of a surprise, but really the size makes the decision more understandable.
  • Reply 156 of 399
    Quote:

Yep, there's your next Dell, HP, and anyone else that uses Intel's spec platforms.

<rant>

The MacBook Air will die just like the other niche products Apple's produced in the past (Cube, Newton, etc...) there is just not a market for a mid-ranged stripped down product. This is not the small mobile product to jump start the Japanese market and it's definately not a "Pro" model with a 1.8" hard drive. That puppy just isn't going to take the abuse that a daily computing load will put on it. Throw in any significant graphics/video work and it will probably die in about a year. I only get about a 1 1/2 - 2 years out of my notebook hard drives in my other Mac notebooks now.

Once Dell, HP and the others come out with their versions of the Intel Metro, the MacBook Air will be done.

Apple needs to concentrate on their core market and produce the successor to the Mini and fill the desktop gap between the Mini and the Mac Pro. The iMac isn't it. It needs to be a headless desktop with expandability like the Mac Pro. Bring back an Intel machine like the G4 PowerMac tower!!!

I'm tired of all these gadgets, that was never what Apple was about.

</rant>
  • Reply 157 of 399
    Quote:

Thanks!

I forgot one thing.

SSD weighs in at about 75g whereas a HD is about 365g, which means the laptop would weigh about 0.6lbs less with SDD... a lot for considering how light the laptop already is (though probably not $1,000 a lot haha)!

Not really.

The iPod classic 80GB model, which uses the 1.8" HDD weighs 140 grams. The HDD inside probably weighs about half that, or maybe just a bit more.

That's little to no difference at all.
  • Reply 158 of 399
    I'm surprised no one has commented on how fragile this thing might be. I remember dropping my first Ti book and finding out how flimsy titanium really was. Maybe with less overall weight this thing will not be any more breakable than any other Al book but with such a thin perimeter you're going to end up with a lot of force focused through the edge. That would bring a tear to my eye ...
  • Reply 159 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Why? If you don't mind me asking.

As of this September I work a regular job 32 hours a week (not being too productive today though!) and attend law school part-time in the evening.

So, obviously, I needed a laptop. I wound up choosing the MBP so I could get a larger screen, and then just sold my iMac to make it my only computer.

I like to mess around in garage band a lot (although i don't have a whole lot of time for that now) and play the occasional game, so the extra power, larger screen and all the other niceties that the MBP entails were worth if for me.

It seemed a little silly to have both machines, so I sold my iMac to my mom, who was looking to upgrade from her original lampshade iMac.

I'm fortunate enough to be going to school on a full scholarship, so unlike most law school students, I have actual disposable income.

Certainly, it would be a lot nicer to just have the ultra-svelte, 3 pound MBA in my bag for typing notes in class, with my iMac at home for all the other stuff, instead of my 5.5 pound MBP for both.

But it is what it is, so I'm not going to go to the time and expense to get that set-up now.
  • Reply 160 of 399
    I see your point, you want it because it's lighter. I actually sold my MBP a few months back waiting for something similar to this, but come to find out, this isn't what I wanted. I'll wait for rev b.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

As of this September I work a regular job 32 hours a week (not being too productive today though!) and attend law school part-time in the evening.

So, obviously, I needed a laptop. I wound up choosing the MBP so I could get a larger screen, and then just sold my iMac to make it my only computer.

I like to mess around in garage band a lot (although i don't have a whole lot of time for that now) and play the occasional game, so the extra power, larger screen and all the other niceties that the MBP entails were worth if for me.

It seemed a little silly to have both machines, so I sold my iMac to my mom, who was looking to upgrade from her original lampshade iMac.

I'm fortunate enough to be going to school on a full scholarship, so unlike most law school students, I have actual disposable income.

Certainly, it would be a lot nicer to just have the ultra-svelte, 3 pound MBA in my bag for typing notes in class, with my iMac at home for all the other stuff, instead of my 5.5 pound MBP for both.

But it is what it is, so I'm not going to go to the time and expense to get that set-up now.