Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 161 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

I'm surprised no one has commented on how fragile this thing might be. I remember dropping my first Ti book and finding out how flimsy titanium really was. Maybe with less overall weight this thing will not be any more breakable than any other Al book but with such a thin perimeter you're going to end up with a lot of force focused through the edge. That would bring a tear to my eye ...

The beveled and rounded aluminium edges adds a fair amount of rigidity.
  • Reply 162 of 399
    auguraugur Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

Apple stock has dropped.

I purchased @ $170 now it's a little over $166. Figured all the news would have sent it up?

I'm sure over the next few weeks it will be back up to $200 or so.

Apple is sure to continue dropping. Not simply because of the dog they released today, but the "pump and dump" strategy is designed to get you to buy when the price is high. The stocks you purchased somebody else bought at $125 (or less.) They have taken all their profit from you (not from Apple,) and now the price will continue to drop.

Then they will do it all over again. The price will settle at $125 again, they will rebuy the same stocks, and then pump it up again, saying it will go over $200. New buyers will come in later as the price rises, and get suckered in again. This has been going on for hundreds of years.

As PT Barnum put it, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Cut your losses and get out, before you lose all of it.

Apple Air is a dog. Time Capsule is over-priced. Apple is now a record-video store, not a hardware manufacturer. They make over-priced items that invite competition, and their licensing arrangements are doomed in the long-term. They will never go out of business, but they can't live up to the hype, either. MacBook Air stands for the airhead. It is Steve's ideal computer, but it is overpriced and underfeatured, just like him.

Go spend the money and enjoy yourself. And if you are in debt (mortgage, auto, credit cards) use the money for that instead. That would be a better use of any surplus you have saved. The stock market is designed to make the stock-brokers and insiders rich, not you.

And, even if it does make you "rich," the profits you earn all come back to you as inflation. Higher profits mean higher prices. There is no escaping a vicious circle except to avoid joining in.
  • Reply 163 of 399
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    A couple of points that nobody else brought up.

1. Why does the MBA only come with Mac OS X 10.5 and iLife 08'. It doesn't come with any other software. No OmniOutliner, no Quicken, no nothing (I also notice that the MB and MBP pages on Apple.com also list no other software on those notebooks either). Is this a new trend...

2. Why doesn't Apple include a Front Row remote? $19 for that piece of junk isn't worth it....

3. Shouldn't the Ethernet to USB hub be included in a $1800+ notebook?

Dave
  • Reply 164 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmcdivitt View Post

I'll be buying one as soon as I can, my old macbook needs replacement anyway. I am slightly disappointed about the SSD being so expensive, but I know I was kidding myself thinking it wouldn't be a big hit on the price. This is a nice, portable machine, and personally I won't miss many of the missing ports. The mono audio on the other hand is ridiculous, but I'm sure audiopollution will be quick to point out that apple has just released many remedies to this situation called 'ipods'.

Absolutely correct.

It's difficult to carry, and navigate, iTunes on a Macbook (while barreling down a hill on a mountain board), as I'm sure you can agree.

I'm always looking for orphaned Macbooks, though.
  • Reply 165 of 399
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Whilst i love the new Air i'm baffled by Apple's UK currency conversion.

Ok i know you guys in the US have sales tax and we also get stung with V.A.T but since when did $1799 convert to £1200 give or take a penny.

Those British plugs have a lot more copper than the US plugs. Have you checked the price of copper lately?
  • Reply 166 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

That's exactly what I thought. Wasn't the Cube listed at 1799 when it came out? The main difference though is that there is (IMO) more of an advantage to less weight and ultrathin than there was to the Cube's "space saving" design (it took up less space and looked beautiful except that it was supposed to replace computers that did not sit on teh desk top and therefore it actually took up more space).

The thin and light is definitely a lot more of an advantage here.

I hope to be able to buy one of these this year, though I'm not necessarily the core demographic, I'm not necessarily very mobile, but I want something that runs cool with good battery life. I already have a very good desktop, it's not going to be a desktop replacement. I certainly don't need a notebook that's going to burn my jeans, which is what most standard notebooks feel like they are trying to do.
  • Reply 167 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

A couple of points that nobody else brought up.

1. Why does the MBA only come with Mac OS X 10.5 and iLife 08'. It doesn't come with any other software. No OmniOutliner, no Quicken, no nothing (I also notice that the MB and MBP pages on Apple.com also list no other software on those notebooks either). Is this a new trend...

2. Why doesn't Apple include a Front Row remote? $19 for that piece of junk isn't worth it....

3. Shouldn't the Ethernet to USB hub be included in a $1800+ notebook?

Dave

Wow!!! I just noticed that they are charging for the remote! WTF. The high in model is over $3000 and they want to charge for the remote.

It is like disabling the wireless back up on Time Machine and forcing you to buy the new Time Capsule (pretty cool though) to get that functionality.
  • Reply 168 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augur View Post

Apple is sure to continue dropping. Not simply because of the dog they released today, but the "pump and dump" strategy is designed to get you to buy when the price is high. The stocks you purchased somebody else bought at $125 (or less.) They have taken all their profit from you (not from Apple,) and now the price will continue to drop.

Then they will do it all over again. The price will settle at $125 again, they will rebuy the same stocks, and then pump it up again, saying it will go over $200. New buyers will come in later as the price rises, and get suckered in again. This has been going on for hundreds of years.

Apple Air is a dog. Time Capsule is over-priced. Apple is now a record-video store, not a hardware manufacturer. They make over-priced items that invite competition, and their licensing arrangements are doomed in the long-term. They will never go out of business, but they can't live up to the hype, either. MacBook Air stands for the airhead. It is Steve's ideal computer, but it is overpriced and underfeatured, just like him.

Go spend the money and enjoy yourself. And if you are in debt (mortgage, auto, credit cards) use the money for that instead. That would be a better use of any surplus you have saved. The stock market is designed to make the stock-brokers and insiders rich, not you.

And, even if it does make you "rich," the profits you earn all come back to you as inflation. Higher profits mean higher prices. There is no escaping a vicious circle except to avoid joining in.

The sky's not blue enough. The clouds aren't fluffy enough. The water's not warm enough.

The dosage of Paxil isn't high enough.
  • Reply 169 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Ah, someone who thinks he knows something, when he actually doesn't.
  • Reply 170 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Wow!!! I just noticed that they are charging for the remote! WTF. The high in model is over $3000 and they want to charge for the remote.

It is like disabling the wireless back up on Time Machine and forcing you to buy the new Time Capsule (pretty cool though) to get that functionality.

That one's surprising.
  • Reply 171 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Not my thing, this new MacBook. But I think it will do well -- no one until now has tried to produce a subnotebook that has a full-size keyboard (and the 12 inch PowerBook does not qualify, sorry, too heavy). Apple figured light-but-not-small would be a winner, especially if it's thin enough. I think they're right.

This is what I don't get -- why didn't they make it light AND small? The 12" PB had a full-size keyboard and could fit under an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Very convenient footprint, it fits in all kinds of places.

The MacBook Air has essentially the same (slightly larger) footprint than the normal MacBook. So basically they are charging a $700 premium for a thinner but slower MacBook that you can't watch DVDs on ... do people really care that much about just thinness and weight?

A 12-inch model would be sweet.
  • Reply 172 of 399
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    photos of MBA is up in AI and Macrumors that may change lots of comments here; but MBA is not for everyone; it is mainly of ultramobility users hmmm sigh
  • Reply 173 of 399
    Quote:

Michael Dell, is that you?

Quote:

Apple Air is a dog. Time Capsule is over-priced.

I recently bought a new 802.11n router after my old one died, and a 1TB external MyBook. My router doesn't allow for a networked printer of HDD those cost a lot more. I could have a waited a few weeks and bought a 1TB Airport Extreme Base Station for less money than I spent on these two devices. Furthermore, i had to buy an extra long FW cable because, as Jobs stated? I found use the external drive a pain with my notebook to do backups.

Quote:

Apple is now a record-video store, not a hardware manufacturer. They make over-priced items that invite competition, and their licensing arrangements are doomed in the long-term. They will never go out of business, but they can't live up to the hype, either. MacBook Air stands for the airhead. It is Steve's ideal computer, but it is overpriced and underfeatured, just like him.

What is the right machine for me if the MBA is a bad choice?

Quote:

It sounds like the only answer for you is suicide.
  • Reply 174 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naknek View Post

This is what I don't get -- why didn't they make it light AND small? The 12" PB had a full-size keyboard and could fit under an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Very convenient footprint, it fits in all kinds of places.

The MacBook Air has essentially the same (slightly larger) footprint than the normal MacBook. So basically they are charging a $700 premium for a thinner but slower MacBook that you can't watch DVDs on ... do people really care that much about just thinness and weight?

A 12-inch model would be sweet.

They probably did marketing research, and found that few wanted a smaller screen. Some of the smaller models have a 1024 by 768 screens, or even less vertically, if they are widescreen.

Why did they discontinue the 12" Powerbook, and not bring it to MBP status?

Because it was selling so well? No, because it wasn't selling so well.

This looks really good, and I may get one shortly.
  • Reply 175 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That one's surprising.

I'm glad. I've collected way to many Apple remotes over the last two years. I nearly have a enough to play Mah Jong with.
  • Reply 176 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm glad. I've collected way to many Apple remotes over the last two years. I nearly have a enough to play Mah Jong with.

I love MahJong!
  • Reply 177 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why did they discontinue the 12" Powerbook, and not bring it to MBP status?

Because it was selling so well? No, because it wasn't selling so well.

I do miss my 12" PB. The 13" MBis just too big for traveling. The MBA should shore up things nicely for me.
  • Reply 178 of 399
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I'm kind of amazed at the response to the event, even if you hated it. You all seriously need to chill out.

There are much more important things in life. Is your entire retirement portfolio invested in AAPL?

Apple still makes all kinds of other options. And there will be plenty of buyers. This machine is still more powerful than my laptop, which I use for very serious graphic design.

Go outside and get some air. These kittens can't even use Macs.
  • Reply 179 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

I'm kind of amazed at the response to the event, even if you hated it. You all seriously need to chill out.

<image>

There are much more important things in life. Is your entire retirement portfolio invested in AAPL?

<image>

Apple still makes all kinds of other options. And there will be plenty of buyers. This machine is still more powerful than my laptop, which I use for very serious graphic design.

<image>

Go outside and get some air. These kittens can't even use Macs.

Nice. There have been an overabundance of douches here today. It's like Digg commenters decided to drop by.
  • Reply 180 of 399
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Wow, that was not what I was expecting. Overpriced, underfeatured, and totally an Apple product. Once people realize that their savings are gone, inflation is increasing (6.5% just recently!!!), and jobs lost, few will spend money on the unnecessary. The first thing to cut is an $1800 device that let's you surf the internet.