Apple announces Time Capsule backup appliance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

this device is not very appealing for me, but it could be for 'grandma' or a light user. I wouldn't trust a single disk for my backups; raid or software raid is the only answer. If you want reliable backups you are better off with a drobo or windows home server such as an HP EX470.

Very good point. When it was announced that there would be 500GB and 1TB versions, I was really hoping that 1TB was 2x500GB with a raid 1 as an option for redundancy (certainly wouldn't need the performance of raid 0 on a NAS drive).
  • Reply 22 of 55
    We have a tower that you put in the basement that does the same thing!
  • Reply 23 of 55
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It might be faster and more efficient this way than having an external hard drive.

An external disk connected to Airport Extreme is extremely slow, to the point of being unusable. If Time Capsule is just as slow, I'd be stuck with a 500GB drive I couldn't use. Guess I'll wait for the reviews.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

this device is not very appealing for me, but it could be for 'grandma' or a light user. I wouldn't trust a single disk for my backups; raid or software raid is the only answer. If you want reliable backups you are better off with a drobo or windows home server such as an HP EX470.

and why can't you setup a RAID in OS-X? it supports it. It works very well.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

An external disk connected to Airport Extreme is extremely slow, to the point of being unusable. If Time Capsule is just as slow, I'd be stuck with a 500GB drive I couldn't use. Guess I'll wait for the reviews.

speed would be the only reason I can see for this type of upgrade; I wouldn't want to be stuck with a working Airport and a dead drive I can't replace when it decides to go south one day.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    I like the idea of this a lot. It is a bit annoying for those of us with a wi-fi router already. But if you're just setting up, this is a really nice option.

My one concern - Where is the audio out??? I love my Airport Express because I can play iTunes to remote speakers. The remote printer option is there, but no audio?!?!?
  • Reply 27 of 55
    As I said last week, maybe the announcement relates to TimeMachine back-up... This uses TimeMachine's system according to tfa.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so if you want to expand storage, and add another drive, are they both accessible as easily? im worried about expandability
  • Reply 29 of 55
    That's my worry, that Apple withdrew Time Machine support for Airport disks on purpose, requiring a Time Capsule disk instead. That would really chap my hide, considering I just bought an Airport Extreme six weeks ago... [/QUOTE]

Not only does time machine with air disk not work - air disk with the current version of airport software doesn't work - I agree this is another example of Apple just trying to find ways to line it's coffers with dough - by not coming through on it's promises and then selling yet another solution....
  • Reply 30 of 55
    FYI

The page this article links to at the apple store is bizarre. Note that it lists the iPod touch as starting"From $279." Thats a glitch left over from the black friday site and does not appear on Apple's regular store link. Appleinsider should probably update their link, i'm not sure how they even got this one. Talked to Apple, thats the only way they could explain it.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Easy now... there'll presumably be an OS update sometime this week that might finally restore wireless Time Machine backups for those of us with external USB drives. Wouldn't be the first time Apple did something like that. I, too, bought a base station, external drive, and Leopard with wireless backups in mind.

And if they don't give us that ability? Then I'll join you among the outraged, and patiently wait for a hack. Apple won't get my money on this one, that's for sure.

You can right now make a change via the CLI and backup to any drive the OS can see network or local. Apple just does not support it.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/10/h...orted-volumes/

one of many links you can find via google.

I am sure to get this working with this new hardware device Apple will have to allow Time Machine to do this...and then you will be able to do it with any network drive.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

and why can't you setup a RAID in OS-X? it supports it. It works very well.

I'm not sure if this comment should be directed to the above statement, but in general I hear people comparing RAID vs. SuperDuper vs. Time Machine, as if they are similar solutions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RAID and SuperDuper are partition duplications, which are perfect solutions for recovering from hardware failures.

Time Machine does help with hardware failure but it does much more and is integrated in a way that is pretty seemless. I set my parents up with Time Machine, and they've already used it 3 times to recover files that they deleted and needed back. It has also given my father freedom to clear out the non-important clutter on his drive and non-important e-mails, knowing that he can get them back if he really really needs them. It has really changed their experience, and they have not had a hardware failure yet.

I think if I was running a RAID back-up, I'd still use Time Machine.

IQ78
  • Reply 33 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

I think if I was running a RAID back-up, I'd still use Time Machine.

That's a good idea. RAID mirroring isn't really a backup, it's for preventing unplanned down time, though it does keep up with the latest files in a way other forms of backup can't. Time machine keeps up with historical file versions just in case you or your program screws up the newest version.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    if i buy this thing, will i be able to:

1] PLAY movies ripped from DVD that are saved on the capsule? [by plugging my laptop into my A/V receiver via dvi/hdmi and audio out]

2] download files directly to the capsule just as if it were connected via FW?

3] work in imovie on my laptop with files saved on the capsule?

4] access files on the capsule when i'm out of wifi range??? [via ip address... prolly not]

5] play mp3's saved on the capsule via iTunes [combine my gf's and my itunes songs into one playlist that we can both access]

6] upgrade my MBP-C2D to draft N without paying $2.99?

7] expect a $100 store credit when the price drops in 55 days?
  • Reply 35 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Was anyone else underwhelmed by the design on this one? It's rather boring- too much like AppleTV or Airport Extreme. It looks neither like a space module nor prescription pill?
  • Reply 36 of 55
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superduperjacob View Post

Wonder if this will work with SuperDuper! (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13803) - no, we are not related ...

SuperDuper is not even fully compatible with Leopard yet. I am disappointed it has taken so long to update this product.

Steve
  • Reply 37 of 55
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

if i buy this thing, will i be able to:

1] PLAY movies ripped from DVD that are saved on the capsule? [by plugging my laptop into my A/V receiver via dvi/hdmi and audio out]

2] download files directly to the capsule just as if it were connected via FW?

3] work in imovie on my laptop with files saved on the capsule?

4] access files on the capsule when i'm out of wifi range??? [via ip address... prolly not]

5] play mp3's saved on the capsule via iTunes [combine my gf's and my itunes songs into one playlist that we can both access]

6] upgrade my MBP-C2D to draft N without paying $2.99?

7] expect a $100 store credit when the price drops in 55 days?

1) yes, if you configure it as a network drive and not just for backup

2) yes, see above

3) yes, see above

4) no because the drive will get a private IP only accesible within your home network. Perhaps there are some reverse-Nat tools out there that have a way around this, Idunno. If you get multiple IP's from your provider and know a thing or two about router config, there's a way around this probably (but I doubt this device allows so much user config)

5) yes if you use it as a network drive

6) no

7) no

What I'm wondering is if you can partition it and use one drive as a regular-use NAS and the other just for backup
  • Reply 38 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I, too, hope the this means there will be a forth-coming update the Airport Extreme to fix the problems with AirDisk. Both from an overall speed issue and compatibility with TimeMachine. One or two companies at CES announces fire and water proof hard drive enclosures. I'd be much more interested in hooking something like that up to an Airport Extreme base station.

The other advantages are that I can simply unplug the drive and take it with me if the need arises and I don't lose my drive when the wireless router dies (which it inevitably will). I assume one could replace the drive it it died.

As for the price comparisons people are making, remember they said it's a "server-class hard drive." I don't know exactly what that means, but presumably it's a more robust hardrive than what poeple typically buy. Perhaps similar to what TiVo's include, drives that are specificaly designed to be running 24x7.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Forget grandma and light users, for 90% of the population of home users this is a smart idea who don't do ANY backup procedures. (OS X users that is.)

Plug it in, turn on time machine on computer and done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As for the price comparisons people are making, remember they said it's a "server-class hard drive." I don't know exactly what that means, but presumably it's a more robust hardrive than what poeple typically buy.

Simply means its a 7200RPM SATA drive.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I, too, hope the this means there will be a forth-coming update the Airport Extreme to fix the problems with AirDisk. Both from an overall speed issue and compatibility with TimeMachine.

I don't know that the speed issue can be fixed without putting more computing power into the Airport Extreme. Others could explain it better than I, but the slow speed of a connected AirDisk is due to the horsepower needed to convert "wireless or ethernet data" into "hard disk data." Airport Extreme just doesn't have much horsepower; and neither, I suspect, does Time Capsule.