Letdown?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 212
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    THe cost of replacing batteries will probably not be a problem for people/corporations dropping $3000 on the machine. Swapping will be.
  • Reply 102 of 212
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The other 90% of the market will not compare it to the TZ and call it overpriced and under performing.

They'll either choose the MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Convenience for fanatics who want a computer to resemble a piece of paper should be tickled pink.

Dead on!
  • Reply 103 of 212
    Awesome! An 1800 dollar disposable laptop.

No user replaceable battery = complete fuckup.
  • Reply 104 of 212
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

im rather sad about no macbook pro update

That could come next Tues. Remember that Mac Pros were updated last Tues. Penryn MBPs seem a no-brainer, esp with these new MBAir chips Intel just made custom for Apple. But Steve prolly didn't want any other laptop news infringing on his "boom" on the MBAir.

btw, When they mentioned the custom Intel chips, I flashed back to the ugly years of being a sideshow market for Motorolla... So nice to have a chipmaker that works *with* Apple!
  • Reply 105 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Awesome! An 1800 dollar disposable laptop. No user replaceable battery = complete fuckup.

Is the battery soldered to the motherboard? If not, a savvy user can likely replace it. Or pay a service tech to do so for $100.

For ref, my rev D MBP battery is two years old now and still at 88% health.

Anyone buying a MBAir over a MB/MBP is doing so for the svelte size. They are already giving up a lot of functionality, so likely not worried about $100 to swap in a new battery every 3-4 years.
  • Reply 106 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

Yeah, that's a joke. I'm always switching batteries too.

Yeah, this is a factor. But with in-seat power on flights, outlets in airports, car chargers, and as a failsafe external powerpack chargers, there are many options to keep charged these days.

Ten years ago, I used to carry 2-3 batteries with my Wallstreet G3. Now I just use the one in my MBP and charge it whenever possible.

Unless you're working on-site in an environment with no outlets/hookups, it's less of an issue than it was in the 90s, yes?
  • Reply 107 of 212
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I noticed, the RAM is not upgradable either...

I am thinking this is more and more a 'toy' disposable laptop somehow. I can't see many Power users (I include myself in that) wanting to buy one for serious work.

I mean, I just specced out a white (middle 2.2gig White) Macbook with all the BTO options on the French site, and it works out $400 cheaper than the Macbook air!

Yes the Air is smaller, but feature wise, is worse in every way... is it being paper thin really cool enough to justify such a huge drop in usability for a much higher price?
  • Reply 108 of 212
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The crybabies are it again because Apple didn't meet their dreams and wishes, I guess they know more than the people running Apple who have managed to transform the company to what it is today.
  • Reply 109 of 212
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    the specks say the is a speaker on it.
  • Reply 110 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Is the battery soldered to the motherboard? If not, a savvy user can likely replace it. Or pay a service tech to do so for $100.

For ref, my rev D MBP battery is two years old now and still at 88% health.

Anyone buying a MBAir over a MB/MBP is doing so for the svelte size. They are already giving up a lot of functionality, so likely not worried about $100 to swap in a new battery every 3-4 years.

What if they want an extended life battery so they can get more than 5 hours?
  • Reply 111 of 212
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

NO KIDDING! Don't get me wrong, the Macbook Air is a cool niche product and everything, but the Pro is supposed to be the top of the line! And now the Air has new features that the Pro doesn't (multi-touch track pad for one) and the Pro doesn't even get a effing update? No speed bump? NOTHING??????? WTF?

I'm mad as hell myself as i'm far far away form US right now and a friend of mine that will fly back in 3 weeks would have been my only hope for a new MBP . .. now what ??

Surely i am going to call myself lucky if they pop out an upgrade in 2 weeks/ available IN STORES as well/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

I agree the laptop speakers lick balls, but I do like to be notified when I get mail, etc. I kinda like that sound.

The air has a single speaker ..as someone already mentioned ,don't bother. \
  • Reply 112 of 212
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Give it a couple weeks! Is this your first Macworld??

damn, i count on it !!! .. but i can only wait till the end of January.

• Reply 113 of 212
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

What if they want an extended life battery so they can get more than 5 hours?

Then it would be thicker and heavier and defeat the entire purpose of

the product!!

Anyone who doesn't understand why Apple designed this they way they did -- is NOT a customer for this product. It is not supposed to be something that the average notebook user should pore over and declare it to be too expensive or not have 5 USB ports or complain that they can't watch a DVD on it. If you are evaluating it like that, then you don't understand what it is for, and you don't need it, and Apple didn't make it for you.

There was even one guy who complained BOTH that the screen was too big AND that there weren't enough ports on it. WTF?? It's always utterly amazing to see the posts where people run down the list of features, find the ones that are missing, and immediately bitch about it without understanding why those features are missing.
  • Reply 114 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Erm ...

1) History dictates that AAPL drops after keynote.

And therefore, a buying opportunity.

The numbers will roll in on 2007, these announcements will take off moving forward.

Think about it, the towers came out before the keynote to focus on Air & iTunes movies, the rest of the line will freshen over time, keeping Apple in the headlines, and you'll kick yourself 6 months down the road for not buying Apple stock Now.

That $200 price target is no joke, and it'll probably go higher.
  • Reply 115 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Then it would be thicker and heavier and defeat the entire purpose of

the product!!

Anyone who doesn't understand why Apple designed this they way they did -- is NOT a customer for this product. It is not supposed to be something that the average notebook user should pore over and declare it to be too expensive or not have 5 USB ports or complain that they can't watch a DVD on it. If you are evaluating it like that, then you don't understand what it is for, and you don't need it, and Apple didn't make it for you.

There was even one guy who complained BOTH that the screen was too big AND that there weren't enough ports on it. WTF?? It's always utterly amazing to see the posts where people run down the list of features, find the ones that are missing, and immediately bitch about it without understanding why those features are missing.

Bingo. This guy gets it.
  • Reply 116 of 212
    $99 Superdrive addon - ripoff

PATA drive, at 4200 RPM no less. Reverting back to the dark ages?

Should have had a 32GB SSD options as well, since people can use the TimeCapsule thingy.
  • Reply 117 of 212
    Letdown? Hell yes.

No mac mini update.

'Our new laptop costs $100000000, but it's really thin!'

$20 for touch update? are you shitting me? unlock functionality I already invested in. thats bullshit. not all ipod touch users are kids dicking around on the internet. not all people are willing to pay. total BS.

Apple TV on the other hand -- nice!!
  • Reply 118 of 212
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Most disappointing Macworld I can ever remember. Time Capsule is kind of cool, but the rest was a complete waste of time.
  • Reply 119 of 212
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Would you people please remember that not everything is mentioned in the keynote? I don't know where this assumption comes from, because almost every year the speed bumps and minor upgrades always come either in the last 2 weeks of January or in February.

- There will never be iPod talk in January; those are updated before the holiday season. Even if there were a 16 GB update to the iPod, it isn't important enough for the keynote address. Time is limited.

- Updates and speed bumps to the mini and the MacBook Pro, if any, will happen as a press release or not even mentioned at all. Steve spending time talking about Penryn is a waste. Processors always get faster. Not newsworthy. More RAM, bigger HD, different GPU, latest Intel processor. Yawn. iMacs are brand-new. Even if they get Penryn it is not something to announce at MacWorld.

They had 3 new products - Apple TV, the NAS, and the MacBook Air, plus iTS video rentals and MS Office 2008. There is no time to talk about the MBP getting a Penryn processor. It will get it when it gets it.
  • Reply 120 of 212
    Personally I'm happy with the Keynote. I would have liked a 16 gig iPhone, but I can wait for that one.

Basically Steve was able to do what he wanted to do TODAY. Hit 4 areas where he wanted Apple to generate revenues- along with the introduction of a new form factor for the notebooks.

There will be plenty of time during the rest of the year for more introductions and I expect them as soon as they are ready. Supply channels cleared, production ramped up and new products delivered on a steady stream.

There is also supposed to be an announcement at another show as soon as MWSF is done so we will continue to see new stuff continue to roll out.