Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 181 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

yes sir. 5000+ posts?! wow...you must be waiting for a lot of video to render....?!

So you're just here to troll? Allrighty then.
  • Reply 182 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Wow, that was not what I was expecting. Overpriced, underfeatured, and totally an Apple product. Once people realize that their savings are gone, inflation is increasing (6.5% just recently!!!), and jobs lost, few will spend money on the unnecessary. The first thing to cut is an $1800 device that let's you surf the internet.

So I guess they should bring the Yugo back?
  • Reply 183 of 399
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    1] 1800 is a BIT much for this, but i think it will sell well at this price point.

2] personally i will wait until the SSD costs 1/3rd what it is now, and by then i hope the graphics processor in this thing is better.

3] i wonder what the battery life is with the HDD. i'm SURE the time they list is best case scenario [meaning w/ SSD]

4] the full size keyboard WITHOUT a stupid f'ing eraser pointer is KEY. multitouch trackpad is even better.

5] 13.3" screen is bigger than i expected, making overall width/depth more than i thought it would be, but it's all good w/ the KB and trackpad.

6] one usb is all i need.

7] i don't care about firewire much, but it would have been nice to put one in the time capsule [lame name]

8] remote optical is brilliant. optical drives aren't ready to go away just yet, but soon this should eliminate the iMac/floppy OMFG panic.

9] it blows the competition away in looks / lust factor. i'm still amazed that no other computer manufacturer can hire industrial designers with any competence. it's like every other company makes industrial designers the whipping boys of the hardware engineers... does it come with the envelope?
  • Reply 184 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ooh I like! Now I just have to find a reason to buy one. I wonder what excuse I can use?

Like, you need it!! Don't you?
  • Reply 185 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    AnandTech give some balanced, thought out perceptions and good insights into the components used in the new MacBook Air.
    Uncovering Intel's Custom CPU for Apple

"It looks like Intel created Merom SFF specifically for the MacBook Air, a product that wasn’t in Intel’s lineup or roadmap but one that Apple needed. Remember that the first chip that will look like this wasn’t scheduled to be out for another six months with Montevina SFF.

It’s not clear whether Intel will make this custom Merom available to other OEMs (we’d suspect they would if there was enough demand), but it’s a tremendous feat on Apple’s part. This isn’t the first time Intel has put together a one-off chip for Apple; if you’ll remember, the CPU in the Apple TV was a special Dothan that wasn’t a part of Intel’s standard lineup."
  • Reply 186 of 399
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not if you get an AVCHD camcorder, then you just connect it to the USB port and you get random access too, unlike tape. miniDV and HDV had a good run, but they're losing out now.

Quite. I suspect most peoples video comes off mobile phones and digital cameras. This clearly isn't a laptop for DV Pros but that's what the MBP is for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Although, this is not an iPod or iPhone where batteries are expected to not be accessible. But on a laptop -- who expected this?

I had assumed it would but hoped it wouldn't. It's a worrying trend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

A couple of points that nobody else brought up.

1. Why does the MBA only come with Mac OS X 10.5 and iLife 08'. It doesn't come with any other software. No OmniOutliner, no Quicken, no nothing (I also notice that the MB and MBP pages on Apple.com also list no other software on those notebooks either). Is this a new trend...

2. Why doesn't Apple include a Front Row remote? $19 for that piece of junk isn't worth it....

3. Shouldn't the Ethernet to USB hub be included in a $1800+ notebook?

Dave

1. Macs don't come with anything but trials nowadays. iWork and Office trials to have to remove (and that's despite the adverts).

2. That does seem very stingy especially as this machine is clearly aimed at the business market carring a very light laptop to give Keynote/PPT presentations (hence the included VGA/DVI adaptors).

3. Again should be standard in the box.

-------------

The battery concerns me (but will not change in future revisions).

The Audio will surely get Stereo speakers and Optical Out in Rev B.

Hope you can get a Flash drive in that folding USB port...

Obviously Apple expects you to buy a TimeCapsule to sit at home/office with all your data and printer connection, when in WiFi range.

For Office and general internet tasks on the move this is a great product. A seocnd or third revision will be worth the money.
  • Reply 187 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

1] 1800 is a BIT much for this, but i think it will sell well at this price point.

It's pretty good in its class of device.

Quote:

3] i wonder what the battery life is with the HDD. i'm SURE the time they list is best case scenario [meaning w/ SSD]

I doubt it's that much different. The 2.5" notebook drives maxed out at about 2 watts, much lower on idle. The 1.8" hard drives are probably a lot more efficient, it's probably the same drive as in the 80GB iPod, and that iPod battery didn't need to be very big to support the drive.
  • Reply 188 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvsryan View Post

Hmmmm....

It seems to me that Apple is directly going for the women and/or gay community here. They have to expand market share somehow, right? Truthfully, and objectively, ask yourself, what is the advantage to buying the Air? This machine is exclusively for checking desperate housewives blogs, nothing else. Another underpowered, overpriced, underwhelming hardware release. Are you guys really so wimpy that you need to have the lightest notebook on earth? Was that Macbook really that heavy? Keep buying into the "design" of Apple. Staring at the shiny outside, you will never realize that computers are only tools, not fashion statements.

Wilco is back!
  • Reply 189 of 399
    Well, after reading some of the posts, I must say the oft repeated comment relates to price. The device is exactly what I have been waiting and looking for, but, at this stage, the price would count me out.

Prediction, price cut of Air in 3/6 months along with thinner 13" (old style) Mac Books.
  • Reply 190 of 399
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    This is a serious yawner. They should have rolled the MBA out quietly last week, and used the keynote to unveil the new Mac Pro. At least that would have been interesting.

I mean, what was the objective here? Lets make the most under powered, least featured notebook we possibly can, then charge a massive premium for it just because it's thinner. A smaller footprint would be marginally impressive, but only a simpleton is impressed by "thin".
  • Reply 191 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

<rant>

Once Dell, HP and the others come out with their versions of the Intel Metro, the MacBook Air will be done.</rant>

Like the original??http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notebook-...top-263957.php
  • Reply 192 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This is a serious yawner. They should have rolled the MBA out quietly last week, and used the keynote to unveil the new Mac Pro. At least that would have been interesting.

I mean, what was the objective here? Lets make the most under powered, least featured notebook we possibly can, then charge a massive premium for it just because it's thinner. A smaller footprint would be marginally impressive, but only a simpleton is impressed by "thin".

So it would make marketing sense to you not announce a new product to the lineup but spend a good deal of time in this once year event talking about an expected upgrade to the Mac Pro? Seriously!

It's not the thinness that is impressive, it's the whole package being that portable that is impressive. If you understood technology you'd know that this type of engineering costs more than the chunky engineering of other OEMs
  • Reply 193 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

(remember, 64+ GB is actually a lot of data... 50 million floppy disks or so)

More like 50,000, but point taken.
  • Reply 194 of 399
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, someone who thinks he knows something, when he actually doesn't.

Pot, meet Kettle.

• Reply 195 of 399
    Well, I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

I am one of "those" people getting ready to switch back to Mac after a 10 yr absence, and have been anticipating today like Christmas! I have used subnotebooks for years. I think the MBA design is gorgeous, and as a sales rep, I do not need high-end power for video/photography, but I need a big enough screen for spreadsheets, SFA websites, reviewing marketing plans and .ppt slides. I want light and compact size due to the ever-constricting airline seats. The MBA form-factor and weight really appeal to me.

BUT: I *always* travel with 2 batteries. I need at least 100gb of space for growth (currently using 85). Built in Ethernet is useful but I can probably make do with the USB dongle. Ethernet is still needed as some hotels do not have wifi and I have to connect to their broadband with Ethernet.

Apple was SO CLOSE here!!!!! You can tell by the size of the screen bezel that they have enough room for a 15" screen. And no matte screen option? They could have kept Ethernet. The HDD options should have gone at least to the 160 GB ipod drive. All of those additions would have affected the thickness by .2" or so, but they would have been worth it for the way most of us work.

As for competition - these are some previous laptops that are small and one is lighter, and without compromise on functionality:

Toshiba R200 - less than 1" thick, 2 USB, SD, VGA, PCMCIA, internal modem, Ethernet wireless b/g. Weight = 2.74lbs. Battery life, approx 3.5 hrs

Panasonic CF-W2 (now the W4 or 5) - CD R/W, 2 USB, wireless b/g, SD, PCMCIA, VGA, EThernet, built in modem, armored HD, 12.1" screen, mono, 2.6 lbs

My current Panasonic CF-Y4 - DVD R/W, (2) USB, wireless b/g, SD, PCMCIA, VGA, Ethernet, built in modem, *armored HD* (tested up to a 4 ft. fall). 14" screen, stereo, and 3.4 lbs.

I'm not starting a flame-war, I *want* a Mac, but I'm looking at my 3 year old Panasonic that still has 15gb of HDD left, a larger screen, built in drive, ethernet, SD, PCMCIA and is only .4lbs heavier! I just dont think I can justify the 1800 to go backwards. Maybe rev.2 or by the WWDC Apple will have some more compelling options for the MBA????
  • Reply 196 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

8] remote optical is brilliant. optical drives aren't ready to go away just yet, but soon this should eliminate the iMac/floppy OMFG panic.

I said earlier that a HD weighs 365g, this was for a 2.5". Sorry about that.

SSD can save between 5-10% though I've seen as much 15%. These figures are usually for 2.5" SSD to 2.5" HD comparisons though. 5% to 10% of 4 hours is 12 to 24 minutes.

I do agree optical drives are on their way out. The main reason most people think they have to have one is to watch DVDs, but I think downloads etc will slowly make this need go away. If you're a DV pro, you need a drive and you'll be buying a different laptop.

You can pick up a 32Gb ssd for $400 (newegg) or $320 used. Too bad that's not an "in the middle" option from the Apple store. Unfortunately I bet it could be quite difficult to take apart the machine. ( Why would they make it easy if you can't upgrade anything (like ram)? )
  • Reply 197 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's pretty good in its class of device.

I doubt it's that much different. The 2.5" notebook drives maxed out at about 2 watts, much lower on idle. The 1.8" hard drives are probably a lot more efficient, it's probably the same drive as in the 80GB iPod, and that iPod battery didn't need to be very big to support the drive.

Remembering that you can go somewhere north of 40 hours of music and about ten hours with the Classic 160, the drain isn't too bad.
  • Reply 198 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Wilco is back!

Didn't think of that. I wonder...
  • Reply 199 of 399
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Pot, meet Kettle.

Really gunning for that permanent ban, huh?
  • Reply 200 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

What is difficult to accept is the perception that there are other choices, and a lot of them at that.

That the Dells, Sonys, HPs, etc., offer or have already made available, computers, i.e., laptops and desktops, that far exceed the innovative offerings of Apple, and significantly cheaper. And that they do so quite frequently.

Perhaps I am missing something. Give us an example of who else has addressed your needs.

But you are right in that, "only a simpleton is impressed by "thin"." Except that it takes a genius to understands what is inside and appreciates how the heck it ever got there.