Apple's new MacBook Air dubbed world?s thinnest notebook

Comments

• Reply 221 of 399
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It's really neat, and slim.. and light weight.. but unnecessarily wide and deep It must have been possible to shrink away the phat borders on the side of the screen.

• Reply 222 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It's really neat, and slim.. and light weight.. but unnecessarily wide and deep It must have been possible to shrink away the phat borders on the side of the screen.

Why MUST it have been possible?
  • Reply 223 of 399
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What is difficult to accept is the perception that there are other choices, and a lot of them at that.

That the Dells, Sonys, HPs, etc., offer or have already made available, computers, i.e., laptops and desktops, that far exceed the innovative offerings of Apple, and significantly cheaper. And that they do so quite frequently.

Perhaps I am missing something. Give us an example of who else has addressed your needs.

Are you kidding? The specs are really low, basic functionality has been stripped out, and it's a totally closed system, including the battery. EVERY hardware manufacturer, including Apple, far surpassed this product years ago. Anyone who would find this even remotely usable would probably be better served by a used iBook for a quarter of the cost.
  • Reply 224 of 399
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

"We" won't know anything until "we" find out exactly what panel is being used. Being thinner might have meant having a wider border.

I think shrinking the perimeter might have meant a smaller battery.
  • Reply 225 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Are you kidding? The specs are really low, basic functionality has been stripped out, and it's a totally closed system, including the battery. EVERY hardware manufacturer, including Apple, far surpassed this product years ago. Anyone who would find this even remotely usable would probably be better served by a used iBook for a quarter of the cost.

The iBook would take twice the volume, weigh nearly twice as much, not run as fast and still not have as long of a battery run time. It's not even in the same product class anyway. You shouldn't expect that an ultralight would be the same as a desktop replacement. Are there even any notebooks that used "open" standard batteries? As far as I know, every notebook battery is "closed".
  • Reply 226 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This machine IS between the 10 hour life and doesn't do anything.

This machine isn't for everyone. Surprise!

No machine is for everyone. That's a surprise too, right?

What card options would you want, other than perhaps Firewire, or maybe eSATA?

It already has most everything else built-in.

Once again, I'll try to explain. If I could talk slower, melgross I would. I'll try using smaller words.

All I am saying is that there are many other competitive products on the market that do more, weigh the same, and cost the same or less. These compromises that you keep justifying by saying "no machine is for everyone" DO NOT HAVE TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!!! So even if I take your point that most of those features are not necessary, having an interchangeable battery (hardly a novel idea) and more HDD options (again - they are on the market, this isnt rocket science) just makes the machine appeal to more people.

Or are you saying that Apple would rather debut a new product that doesnt appeal to as many of its target market as possible?
  • Reply 227 of 399
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Dumb question: Do the remotes work across machines?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

They are using a one off processor from Intel. It appears to be a low-voltage Core 2 Duo that is operating below ultra-low-voltage power consumption. There is no other OEM that can say that!

PS: I'm getting really annoyed with the crowd here today. Did AI and Digg combine today?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"We" won't know anything until "we" find out exactly what panel is being used. Being thinner might have meant having a wider border.

I think shrinking the perimeter might have meant a smaller battery.

And a less durable case.
  • Reply 228 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oilburner View Post

Toshiba R200 - less than 1" thick, 2 USB, SD, VGA, PCMCIA, internal modem, Ethernet wireless b/g. Weight = 2.74lbs. Battery life, approx 3.5 hrs

Panasonic CF-W2 (now the W4 or 5) - CD R/W, 2 USB, wireless b/g, SD, PCMCIA, VGA, EThernet, built in modem, armored HD, 12.1" screen, mono, 2.6 lbs

My current Panasonic CF-Y4 - DVD R/W, (2) USB, wireless b/g, SD, PCMCIA, VGA, Ethernet, built in modem, *armored HD* (tested up to a 4 ft. fall). 14" screen, stereo, and 3.4 lbs.

I'm not starting a flame-war, I *want* a Mac, but I'm looking at my 3 year old Panasonic that still has 15gb of HDD left, a larger screen, built in drive, ethernet, SD, PCMCIA and is only .4lbs heavier! I just dont think I can justify the 1800 to go backwards. Maybe rev.2 or by the WWDC Apple will have some more compelling options for the MBA????

Since you brought these two up:

Toshiba R200 (circa Apr 2005):

$2,099

1.2Ghz ULV Intel

512Mb Ram

2.7lbs

12.1" Screen

60Gb HD

Optical Drive: External

Panasonic CF-W5 (Mar 07):

$1,950

1.2Ghz Core Solo U1400

512Mb Ram

Weight: 2.9lbs

12.1" Screen

60Gb HD

Optical Drive: Internal

So... compared to those two, this isn't looking too bad

$1,799

1.6 Ghz (with 4mb cache, not 512k-1mb like the above two)

2Gb Ram

3.0 Lbs

13.1" Screen

80Gb HD

Optical Drive: Optional

Among subcompacts, the MBA really does well spec-wise. Comparing a subcompact to full size laptops is like comparing a desktop to a server (ie well it doesn't have 2 quad cores so it must suck).
  • Reply 229 of 399
    Quote:

All I am saying is that there are many other competitive products on the market that do more, weigh the same, and cost the same or less.

Can you point to those models that are as cheap or cheaper? I've only seen one ultralight that costs less than that, and that was a Dell. Everything else in that size class was more expensive. The current Dell Ultralight D430 is 1.2GHz, Core Solo or Core Duo.
  • Reply 230 of 399
    Quote:

Or are you saying that Apple would rather debut a new product that doesnt appeal to as many of its target market as possible?

Target market is not the same as largest possible market, which is what many OEMS do when they try to stuff as many things into the machine to win the oh-so-coveted Tech Specs award.
  • Reply 231 of 399
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Crybabies at it again. If you don't like it don't buy it, no one is forcing you. You can also go look elsewhere, Apple will do fine without your whining self.
  • Reply 232 of 399
    Despite all your cries, this thing will sell very well.

(Hell, I pre-ordered one despite all it's shortcomings)
  • Reply 233 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witheredmind View Post

Since you brought these two up:

Toshiba R200 (circa Apr 2005):

$2,099

1.2Ghz ULV Intel

512Mb Ram

2.7lbs

12.1" Screen

60Gb HD

Optical Drive: External

Panasonic CF-W5 (Mar 07):

$1,950

1.2Ghz Core Solo U1400

512Mb Ram

Weight: 2.9lbs

12.1" Screen

60Gb HD

Optical Drive: Internal

So... compared to those two, this isn't looking too bad

$1,799

1.6 Ghz (with 4mb cache, not 512k-1mb like the above two)

2Gb Ram

3.0 Lbs

13.1" Screen

80Gb HD

Optical Drive: Optional

Among subcompacts, the MBA really does well spec-wise. Comparing a subcompact to full size laptops is like comparing a desktop to a server (ie well it doesn't have 2 quad cores so it must suck).

WM,

You are right except the HDD space for the current models (W7 and Y7) go up signficantly 100gb and up, as do the current models from Toshiba, Dell, other brands (plus internal drives at less weight than the Apple). I was just giving examples of past machines I personally have used. Dont get me wrong - I like this machine a lot, I just wish it had a couple of more options - HDD and battery chief among them.
  • Reply 234 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can you point to those models that are as cheap or cheaper? I've only seen one ultralight that costs less than that, and that was a Dell. Everything else in that size class was more expensive. The current Dell Ultralight D430 is 1.2GHz, Core Solo or Core Duo.

I dont know. The price isn't an objection that I had. I just want some more options on the checkbox
  • Reply 235 of 399
    Quote:

WM,

You are right except the HDD space for the current models (W7 and Y7) go up signficantly 100gb and up, as do the current models from Toshiba, Dell, other brands (plus internal drives at less weight than the Apple). I was just giving examples of past machines I personally have used. Dont get me wrong - I like this machine a lot, I just wish it had a couple of more options - HDD and battery chief among them.

Panasonic W7

(Around $2,500)

1.06Ghz U7500 Intel Core 2 Duo (2mb cache)

1Gb Std (up to 2gb)

80Gb HD

12.1" Screen

3.0 Lbs

Optical Drive: Integrated

Also: 1.4"-2.0" thick (verses 0.16" to 0.76" for the MBA)

Panasonic Y7

(Around $2,300)

1.6Ghz L7500 Intel 4Mb Cache (looks to be the same processor as the MBA)

1Gb Std (up to 2)

80Gb HD

14.1" Screen

3.7 Lbs

Optical Drive: Integrated

Thickness: 1.4"-1.8"

So... these aren't faster nor do they have larger hard drives, more memory, weigh less, or cost less. I'm sure that you might be able to customize these, but that's not going to make them cost any less.
  • Reply 236 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by witheredmind View Post

Panasonic W7

Panasonic Y7

So... these aren't faster nor do they have larger hard drives, more memory, weigh less, or cost less. I'm sure that you might be able to customize these, but that's not going to make them cost any less.

These are Toughbookst. While they make some ultra-light machines they don't make for a fair comparison with other ultra-lights.
  • Reply 237 of 399
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, someone who thinks he knows something, when he actually doesn't.

he said, totally unaware of the irony
  • Reply 238 of 399
    Quote:

Once again, I'll try to explain. If I could talk slower, melgross I would. I'll try using smaller words.

That's pretty dumb on your part. It makes the rest of what you're saying less credible.
  • Reply 239 of 399
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

he said, totally unaware of the irony

Irony would be lost on you.
  • Reply 240 of 399
    Quote:

My question exactly. I love Apple and may buy this, but for the record, look at what Panasonic and Toshiba have done with less weight:

Panasonic:

http://www.dynamism.com/w7/specs.shtml

Toshiba:

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-port...204721663.html

Personally, I could not care less about an optical drive, but am curious to note the Toshiba is also thin, and comes in at just 2.4lbs (albeit with a 12inch screen, but it also has a DVD burner and lots of ports). I thought the SSD version is like 1.75lbs (again 12inch but with DVD and lots of ports). Why is the Apple so heavy?