High-quality photos and notes on Apple's new MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    Thanks for the photos, but you need some basic work on DoF with your camera.

Use a higher aperture/longer exposure time and you'll get better DoF, especially on some of those close-up keyboard shots.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    Is anyone else seeing Pismo cues? Rounded Foot pads, curved LCD casing, Two toned Keys, Center Cut-away for the "lid latch." I think it's good to see Apple warming up the product. This will be the direction the MacBook Pro takes when it gets a new skin. I really approve of the black keys.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frlarsen View Post

Seriously, folks, notwithstanding the nifty bells and whistles on this computer, it would simply hog too much space in my briefcase for me to replace my trusty old 12" PowerBook. The form factor is important enough to me that I will continue to lug my old brick around until Apple figures out that not all of its customers willing to pay top dollar are tech geeks, filmmakers, or design professionals.

By volume, this new thing is a lot smaller than your 12", maybe half the volume, so you should be able to pack more into your briefcase with the new replacement.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    What will be interesting is for someone to get the hands on one, take it home and then open it up. The screws seem to be well placed, so it may be possible to open it up and replace the battery, even if it is not officiall tagged 'user servicable'. This is not an iPod style design, where you have to work out what magic is needed to open up the case.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frlarsen View Post

When is Apple going to figure out that elegant design does not need to take up so much real estate?

In order for this laptop to be adopted by a broad base of business users, the form factor should be about 1" smaller in both length and width. (A true sub laptop should be not much larger than a stack of 8 1/2 x 11 paper.) Should that mean shrinking the screen by half an inch, so be it, although I note that there is plenty of metal framing both the screen and the keyboard that looks wasted to me.

I was thinking the exact same thing the first time I saw it. Apple goes through all the trouble and expense to make it the thinnest thing around, but then they go and put a bezel around the screen's that's pretty wide and takes up too much room. Whaaa?

Sure, the laptop's only .76" thick, but the 12.8" x 9" footprint isn't all that small. In fact, the footprint's a hair larger than the REGULAR MacBook's footprint!

regular MacBook: 1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92 inches

MacBook Air: 0.16 to 0.76 x 12.8 x 8.94 inches

That said, I still like the MBA (ooh, nifty new acronym). And it's so very Apple... brilliant in some ways, but with the mandatory head-scratching design choice/flaw or two.

The price is a bit better than I expected though, at least for the hard drive model. It'll sell. Though, with that footprint, is it really a true subnotebook, or is it something else?

• Reply 26 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Sure, the laptop's only .76" thick, but the 12.8" x 9" footprint isn't all that small. In fact, the footprint's a hair larger than the REGULAR MacBook's footprint!

regular MacBook: 1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92 inches

MacBook Air: 0.16 to 0.76 x 12.8 x 8.94 inches

I was right about MBAir being half the volume -

PowerBook G4 - 1.18" H x 10.9" W x 8.6" ~ 111 in^3

MB - 103 in^3

MBAir - 53 in^2
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was right about MBAir being half the volume -

PowerBook G4 - 1.18" H x 10.9" W x 8.6" ~ 111 in^3

MB - 103 in^3

MBAir - 53 in^2

I think ppl are fine with the volume. It's the footprint that may be disappointing to some, who were hoping for a true subnotebook. \

It's kind of like the RAZR cellphone, when it first came out back in 2004... everyone cooed about how thin it was, kind of overlooking the fact that it was actually pretty wide and tall.

I myself don't care too much... I think the MBA looks cool.

• Reply 28 of 111
    Quote:

By volume, this new thing is a lot smaller than your 12", maybe half the volume, so you should be able to pack more into your briefcase with the new replacement.

And you won't even need a dedicated laptop case for it
  • Reply 29 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think ppl are fine with the volume. It's the footprint that may be disappointing to some, who were hoping for a true subnotebook. \

It's kind of like the RAZR cellphone, when it first came out back in 2004... everyone cooed about how thin it was, kind of overlooking the fact that it was actually pretty wide and tall.

I myself don't care too much... I think the MBA looks cool.

I think it's a fine trade-off though, in both cases, I think it makes it more useable by keeping it a little more comfortable to use and with the RAZR, more comfortable to fit into a pocket, MBAir, easier to slip into a case, easier to carry, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

I work in television... I agree that this could be great for traveling but my serious drawbacks are:

-HD 80GB is bare minimum and could pass but 5400rpm? Ugh... Slow!

-Only 1 USB port / no mini firewire

-processor sounds unimpressive (but ill wait on the tests)

I know a lot of people could use an SD slot but I carry a USB with me everywhere anyway.

I really wanted a redesign on the Pros that would make them lighter and smaller so they're even more portable. I'll need to make a descision within the next couple months so NO LUCK for me! lol

This is not really targeted to the same market as the MacBook Pros. Its also more of a second computer, than a main computer. This works in an environment where you do your main work at home and then you take the portable with you to do lightweight work and maybe even a presentation or two. Think of this as the bare essentials for doing work on the move.

The SSD is likely to be faster than the HD, but it is a compromise for those who want it.

As for the screen, I believe this is probably a compromise between small and easily viewable. Also, what's the point of a smaller screen if your essential hardware is still occuping the same area?

It is also possible that the experience that Apple has gained in developing this portable may make its way into the next generation of MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Of course, the addition of good video cards, processors and other stuff people want in "portable desktops" just aren't easy to get into a small package.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    Quote:

I think it's a fine trade-off though, in both cases, I think it makes it more useable by keeping it a little more comfortable to use and with the RAZR, more comfortable to fit into a pocket, MBAir, easier to slip into a case, easier to carry, etc.

I would disagree in the case of the RAZR. It's wide enough that its actually difficult to use to one-handed for a lot of ppl.

The MBA... who knows. It doesn't seem to be a true subnotebook, more like a really cool, forward-looking MacBook (a next-gen MB, kinda sorta). Even so, it'd be nice if it had a skinnier bezel and smaller footprint.

I would like to see the styling cues move to the rest of the lineup, though. "Iz nize".

• Reply 32 of 111
    I agree TBaggins, Apples designs seem to start with one product, then move out to the rest of their products as time goes. To bad it's not a great big ol iPhone though. Just kidding...
  • Reply 33 of 111
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The monkey who is taking those photos needs a few lessons on photography. I've noticed the exact same crap being thrown at the AI readers on every article featuring "up-close" photos. You can see fine details in a narrow area and everything else is blurred. Amateur.

You got to cut him some slack. It is not like he had it at home or in a place with people. He would have to pull out a tripod for a shot like that and in that kinda place with people all around... good luck.

http://images.appleinsider.com/kindle-unbox-11.jpg

The lighting could use some work but hey, I haven't built my macro photo light box yet. So not on "every" article.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    Apple also provides both an ethernet adapter and a modem adapter that connects to a usb port. These sell for $29 and $49 respectively. Might be a great option for those few times that you may need to "plug in"

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...1TiS5CH/2.?p=0
  • Reply 35 of 111
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Will it work with the standard Magsafe power adapter used in other Macbooks?

Is the hard drive 1.8 in. or 2.5?

Did Apple really have to create yet another proprietary variation of a DVI connector?
  • Reply 36 of 111
    There can be no doubt that the MacBook Air is a gorgeous and desirable addition to the Mac range. While I welcome its technical innovation, clever packaging and attractive design, I was very disappointed that the rest of the Mac laptop range was not updated. I am not convinced the the MBA can be an everyday laptop, although I will willingly eat my words once I've played with it and discovered that it has as much functionality as a regular MacBook.

The MacBook Pros as they are remain very good-looking superior machines, but the technology to slim them down and cut excess weight has existed for some time. Personally, I was hoping to see a 15" MBP with DVD drive weighing in at about 4 and a bit pounds to make an appearance. Looks like I may have to wait a bit longer. In the meantime, is the MBA a viable alternative to the black polycarbonate MB? Quite possibly. I'll have to see it in the flesh before passing any kind of real judgement.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The monkey who is taking those photos needs a few lessons on photography. I've noticed the exact same crap being thrown at the AI readers on every article featuring "up-close" photos. You can see fine details in a narrow area and everything else is blurred. Amateur.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TranceMist View Post

Thanks for the photos, but you need some basic work on DoF with your camera.

Use a higher aperture/longer exposure time and you'll get better DoF, especially on some of those close-up keyboard shots.

Two things to think about:

1.) Maybe shallow DOF was used because it looks cool.

2.) Maybe using smaller aperture and longer exposure would require a tripod and getting one of those out in the middle of a crowded floor at MacWorld isn't an option.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Is the hard drive 1.8 in.

1.8"

That's why there's only 80 GB as an option. (The 160 GB 1.8" drive in the iPod classic has two platters and is thicker than the 80 GB drive, so it's too fat to fit in the MBA)
  • Reply 39 of 111
    Personally I think it will be great for the business traveler. I used one of the original X Series ThinkPads from IBM before moving to Macs and teh #1 complaint I had was the small display.

In those days I was traveling overseas on business and I'm impressed with thin and light. Thin as the thinner it is the less room it takes up in my briefcase. Light because I was getting old and weight on the shoulder counts a lot. The display size is not a factor in the briefcase - just when it's being used.

I also think that the Air will be THE notebook to have at college next year, with the lucky students getting theirs this year. Lots easier to carry around campus and it will be very popular within a few months.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Awww crap... Apple stock is down to $163 in after hours trading. I've had better days.

I guess no announcement short of a 3G iPhone or a cure for cancer would've satisfied expectations, considering how Jobs blew everyone away last year. Ah well, there should be some bounceback when the Q4 financials are released.