20 bucks for f'ing update!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What the hell is this crap, this is just like the iphone, existing users get fucked and the new adopters get everything for free, this is stupid as hell!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

What the hell is this crap, this is just like the iphone, existing users get fucked and the new adopters get everything for free, this is stupid as hell!

Gotta side with you on this...

I just got one from my Wife (and as great minds think alike) and she just got one from me for Christmas!!! and I'll be damned if I'm paying $40 more bucks for a device that I just got less than (exactly?) three weeks ago!

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 19
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I suspect the Google map, weather, stocks apps all have licensing fees associated with them that go to the content providers. That's probably what you're paying for.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You pay for a computer OS update, so why not an iPod OS update?

Where did Apple say that they would provide updates to the iPod touch for free?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

and I'll be damned if I'm paying $40 more bucks for a device that I just got less than (exactly?) three weeks ago!

Don't then.

Both your iPod touches still do exactly what they could do when you and your wife parted with your money.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    what do you mean they didn't say you'd get updates to the software, this is the exact same thing as getting updates to an OS, you get updates to make it better, in my opinion this is bull shit, and as i previously stated, it's almost the same scenario as with the early iphone adopters.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

what do you mean they didn't say you'd get updates to the software, this is the exact same thing as getting updates to an OS, you get updates to make it better, in my opinion this is bull shit, and as i previously stated, it's almost the same scenario as with the early iphone adopters.

This isn't exactly an update - these are new programs you're paying for, not updates to old ones. With that said, if the new Notes doesn't allow for very long note taking I'll be very disappointed.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onit View Post

This isn't exactly an update - these are new programs you're paying for, not updates to old ones. With that said, if the new Notes doesn't allow for very long note taking I'll be very disappointed.

how would i go about sending an email to apple complaining?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Because they are already on the iPhone dickhead. They should have been on the touch from day 1.

With the margins he makes on it its not like he cant afford it, he's a greedy wanker.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Don't then.

Both your iPod touches still do exactly what they could do when you and your wife parted with your money.

Okay so then the same should be said for people who purchased the iPhone...

Right?!?!

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onit View Post

We have to pay for home screen rearranging, lyrics and Web Clips. Those are updates, not apps.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

We have to pay for home screen rearranging, lyrics and Web Clips. Those are updates, not apps.

1.1.3 on the touch ... does it include the home page rearranging and web clips ... or not. I'm confused.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

That is a really good point. It is like buying a Mac 4 months before Leopard came out and then complaining that you have to pay $129 to get Leopard while people who buy the iMac now get it for free. And this isn't like adding capabilities to the Calender app. These are several (5 no less) brand new apps.

I often suspected that Apple would offer this to touch users, a PDA pack so to speak. I didn't expect it until after the SDK came out and I didn't expect it to be on future iPod touches...but then why not?

And besides...its $20. That is DVD. Wahoo! Big whoop people. Its not like they want 50, 80, or 130!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

That is a really good point. It is like buying a Mac 4 months before Leopard came out and then complaining that you have to pay $129 to get Leopard while people who buy the iMac now get it for free. And this isn't like adding capabilities to the Calender app. These are several (5 no less) brand new apps.

I often suspected that Apple would offer this to touch users, a PDA pack so to speak. I didn't expect it until after the SDK came out and I didn't expect it to be on future iPod touches...but then why not?

And besides...its $20. That is DVD. Wahoo! Big whoop people. Its not like they want 50, 80, or 130!

I cant believe that you guys would be trying to defend this. Look at the timing for a start, just after christmas when everyone has just bought one. He's taking you for a pack of idiots.

Secondly they are not new apps, they have been on the iPhone all along and the ipod is more or less designed directly from the iPhone. Not even any code to re-write.

Technically he can do whatever he likes, but this is a pretty good example of Apple gouging their customers. again. It just leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    NO this sucks!!! This is ridiculous. AppleTv got an update and so did iPhone all for free! Dont give me licensing crap. If im paying 20 bucks for google maps, which I can only access in a Wi-Fi area thats bull. I love this company, but this was a stupid move. This is totally not even the way they operate. Is this the same company who gave customers 100 dollars back for the price drop of the iPhone? Its really unfortunate, I'm not running to update it.

Not to mention when you buy an iPod touch now it comes standard.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC View Post

NO this sucks!!! This is ridiculous. AppleTv got an update and so did iPhone all for free! Dont give me licensing crap. If im paying 20 bucks for google maps, which I can only access in a Wi-Fi area thats bull. I love this company, but this was a stupid move. This is totally not even the way they operate. Is this the same company who gave customers 100 dollars back for the price drop of the iPhone? Its really unfortunate, I'm not running to update it.

Not to mention when you buy an iPod touch now it comes standard.

If the update isn't worth $20 to you, don't buy it! Duh!

I refer you to an earlier post I made in a different thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=93
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

If the update isn't worth $20 to you, don't buy it! Duh!

I refer you to an earlier post I made in a different thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=93

sheep! stop drinking the kool-aid man.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

No kool-aid drinking going on here.

Look:
    • The AppleTV is still shit, although it is much better than before

• The TimeCapsule adds nothing to the NAS marketplace

• The lack of an xMac in Apple's lineup is rediculous

• OS X has too many bugs and design flaws, it doesn't "just work". Of course, it's still a million times better than anything Microsoft have ever come up with.

• Both MacBook and MacBook Pro lines should be fully customisable on screen size, with 13", 15" and 17" available in both lines, with mixing and matching of CPU capabilities. i.e., customers should be able to configure the slowest CPU with the biggest screen if that's what they want.

• Apple should make use of cheaper Core 2 Duo and Celeron chips to lower the entry price for the MacBook range.

• A DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive in a $1099 laptop is a very bad joke

• Reply 18 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

So he's supposed to enjoy your flavor of Kool-aid? Asking for handouts is asking for handouts. You may feel justified but you bought a iPod Touch...NOT a iPhone. If you want the apps pony up.

Some of us just get tired of the warped logic that comes from people trying to justify their anger over what is less than an hour's work for many people. If you want it buy it..if you want to send a message to Apple..don't buy it.

This isn't a charity and if losing out on $20 is the worst thing that has happened to you this year you're damn lucky.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I suspect the Google map, weather, stocks apps all have licensing fees associated with them that go to the content providers. That's probably what you're paying for.

While that's probably true, they would also have the same fees on the ones that ship with 1.1.3.

I paid for it- because that's all that I wanted after yesterday's lackluster releases.