MacBook Air design implications for other Mac notebooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Looking at the MacBook Air makes one wonder just how long and how much of the features will migrate over to the other Mac notebooks.

I don't know if the trap-door thingy will translate over to the MacBook Pro, for example, but I think we are seeing how the other Mac notebooks will be transformed.

I don't think we'll see MacBook Pro updates until after the MacBook Air ships in the next 2-3 weeks. So I'd say MacBook pro updates last week in January, at the earliest?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Well I think that aluminium Macbooks are a must given that it's an environmental thing - same with glass displays (but I hope that doesn't mean glossy-only MBPs). Black keys are great for not showing up dirt though I think the MBP will keep the silver keys.

The Magsafe might change to this new design to save damage to the cable if people try to pull it out by the wire.

I don't think they'll adopt sealed batteries through the lineup because it's a pretty stupid decision to do that in any product. I don't think they'll use 1.8" drives or SSD as they aren't necessary.

The circular camera seems a bit more stylish to me that the square look.

Magnetic latches in the MBP finally.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I just hope they keep Firewire!!! There are still some really good peripherals using firewire, and I prefer it for external storage too.

SSD will most likely be used in every portable mac, but not in the near future due to high prices.

LED backlight displays are a must also, but I really won't buy glossy displays.

Multitouch trackpad should be easy to include in every existing model also.

In a few years, DVD drives will be a thing of the past, but it will certainly take a long time.

The backlit keyboard may also be used in all notebooks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Looking at the MacBook Air makes one wonder just how long and how much of the features will migrate over to the other Mac notebooks.

Good question. Was thinking of starting a thread about it; looks like you did it for me:
    • Magnetic latch in aluminium casework proves, as I tried to tell some people repeatedly, that having a metal case doesn't exclude having a magnetic latch. I hope to see this on the next MacBook Pro revision.

• Backlit version of MacBook keyboard with black keys - very, very nice. Better than current MacBook Pro keyboards in feel and backlight functionality (proper contrast between key colour and backlight colour). Also hope to see this on the next MacBook Pro revision.

• Multi-touch trackpad - expect this across the line.

• Revised MagSafe. Is it just the cable that changed, or the port too? If just the cable, expect this to be phased in across the line fairly soon. Obviously, if the port needs changing too, introduction to other models will take longer.

• Circular window for iSight - nice, expect to appear across the line.

• Port flap - only necessary in ultra-portable.

• Built-in battery - only necessary in ultra-portable.

• No firewire - this better have been dropped only for portability's sake.

If the first two aren't in the next MacBook Pro update that I expect to see by the end of Feb., I'll be very disappointed. If that does happen, I'll have to think real hard about how long I'm prepared to wait for them to turn up in the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    So more ruminations:

I am also wondering how quickly we'll see the MacBook descend into an aluminum shell...it might negate (by pricing) the MacBook Air. Maybe...maybe not...

I think the wedge design will carry over to the MacBook Pro.

The nice new MacBook Air keyboard should be a boon to the MacBook Pro line once it hits. I am expecting the magnetic latch + the user replaceable hard drive just like on the lowly MacBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hopefully none.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I think there will be a MacBook Pro Air coming down the pipe soon....
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I think there will be a MacBook Pro Air coming down the pipe soon....

I dont see the point of MBA Pro, cause they arent many ports in the current MBA, so why do you think Apple would fit more ports in MBA Pro. Anyway if its a Pro machine means its going to be more expansive and people wont just buy a laptop that is having problem doing everything else conviniently.

For me I expect future MB and MBP will look something like Air except hopefully it still has exchangeable hard disk, ram and battery. Dang I hope Apple dont get the crazy idea to bring integrated battery into the rest of the line. Integrated battery is stupid, it will only last about 3 years mostlikely