High-quality MacBook Air SuperDrive photos, notes on Remote Disc

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As was first reported by AppleInsider last February, Apple's new MacBook Air lacks a built-in optical disc drive, meaning users will need to perform backups and software installs using two new wireless solutions or with the help of the company's new MacBook Air external Super Drive.

The $99 MacBook Air Super Drive is thin, light, and easy to tote on the go. It's slot-loading, weighing 320 g (0.71 pounds) and measuring 139 x 139 x 17 mm / 5.47 x 5.47 x 0.67 inches (L x W x H).

For those MacBook Air users who prefer to forgo the external drive, Apple has introduced two wireless solutions aimed at tackling data backups and software installs.

The first, Time Capsule, is an AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi router with a built in "server grade" hard disk drive. It works directly with the MacBook Air, allowing owners to backup their notebook's hard disk drive wirelessly with help from Leopard's Time Machine software. Apple is offering a 500GB version for $299 and a 1TB version for $499, both of which are due to begin shipping next month.

To tackle software installs, Apple also introduced a software-based feature dubbed Remote Disc which will allow MacBook Air users to perform software installs wirelessly using a nearby Mac's optical disc drive.

Users simply install the Remote Disc software on a nearby Mac that contains an optical disc drive, insert into that Mac the optical disc containing the software to be installed on the MacBook Air, then select Remote Disc from the Finder's Devices menu on the MacBook Air.

"[Then] click on the computer you enabled, and then double-click to open the software DVD," Apple says. "Now proceed with the installation just as if you had a built-in optical drive."

MacBook Air SuperDrive

MacBook Air SuperDrive

MacBook Air SuperDrive

MacBook Air SuperDrive

MacBook Air SuperDrive

MacBook Air SuperDrive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Remote disc is a very cool feature. Another great innovation from Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Does Remote Disk support booting from CD's?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Remote disc is a very cool feature. Another great innovation from Apple.

It's funny how that feature has been around since AppleTalk in the early 1990s.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Darwin 9.1.2? My Macbook (Early 2006) only has 9.1.0
  • Reply 5 of 55
    I love that Remote Disc feature.... I think it's a very innovative idea they put together with the most simplicity.

Those pics look great and the separately purchased drive is still fairly compact.

What I would like to know, is how do you re-install Mac OS-X. I know it supports as it was mentioned it did, but how is it implemented...
  • Reply 6 of 55
    What about Migration Assistant? Doesn't seem like this will be able to be used, since there's no FireWire port on the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

What about Migration Assistant? Doesn't seem like this will be able to be used, since there's no FireWire port on the MacBook Air.

...or use Final Cut Express 4 for much (even though you can get it pre-installed on the MacBook Air via a BTO option).

Despite all of the frustrating things about this laptop, the lack of Firewire is the most annoying to me.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I was most struck by the hand and ring.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first, Time Capsule, is an AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi router with a built in "server grade" hard disk drive. It works directly with the MacBook Air, allowing owners to backup their notebook's hard disk drive wirelessly with help from Leopard's Time Machine software. Apple is offering a 500GB version for $299 and a 1TB version for $499, both of which are due to begin shipping next month.

If it really has an ES grade hard drive, then it's actually quite a bargain. Not the "markup hell" that some people are rushing to judge it to be. Even if it wasn't an ES drive, it's not a bad deal.

Quote:

"[Then] click on the computer you enabled, and then double-click to open the software DVD," Apple says. "Now proceed with the installation just as if you had a built-in optical drive."

Like someone mentioned, I hope they've made it so that it can boot from a remote drive. I wouldn't expect to need it that often, but I don't want to go to the Apple store to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    The new laptop just doesn't seem worth its price the more and more I found out about it.

Oh well, I know I'll it see it in a classroom near me soon.

I'd rather have the MBP...but that's just me.

=]
  • Reply 11 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Toast Titanium has had a remote burning feature for years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I recall reading that Migration Assistant will work over your wireless network with the MBA.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    The Superdrive certainly adds a lot of acreage to the air's footprint, doesn't it? I'm not sure the size of the air+superdrive makes it worth buying over a Macbook Pro, since I use my optical drive every day.

Does it really attach to the right like that (since the cable is so short)? That's even worse since I would be using a Wacom tablet or a mouse. I would have to shove the Superdrive back and away at an awkward angle whenever it was attached. Or I guess since there's only one USB port I would have to buy a hub to get it all woking together. Kind of awkward.

Sexy thing, but looking like its not for me. Rats.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    pixelcruncher, you bring to light the perfect example of how the MacBook Air does not fit to certain individuals. If you start wanting to have all those accessories along, then you are missing the point.

If you are a user who is burning everyday... then you dont want the Air. This computer is for those who want a second machine that they can carry around without the bulk. Or for those who need to have extreme portability.

The price point suggests not consumer, but professional and is directly inline with the competition. Currently there is no way possible to get this form factor with a built in optical drive. Additionally, such drives are large spenders of battery power in use.

Everyone needs to step back and look at the product for what its intended and not for how it can be adapted for tasks outside its intention.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

The Superdrive certainly adds a lot of acreage to the air's footprint, doesn't it? I'm not sure the size of the air+superdrive makes it worth buying over a Macbook Pro, since I use my optical drive every day.

Does it really attach to the right like that (since the cable is so short)? That's even worse since I would be using a Wacom tablet or a mouse. I would have to shove the Superdrive back and away at an awkward angle whenever it was attached. Or I guess since there's only one USB port I would have to buy a hub to get it all woking together. Kind of awkward.

Sexy thing, but looking like its not for me. Rats.

• Reply 14 of 55
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

pixelcruncher, you bring to light the perfect example of how the MacBook Air does not fit to certain individuals. If you start wanting to have all those accessories along, then you are missing the point.

If you are a user who is burning everyday... then you dont want the Air. This computer is for those who want a second machine that they can carry around without the bulk. Or for those who need to have extreme portability.

The price point suggests not consumer, but professional and is directly inline with the competition. Currently there is no way possible to get this form factor with a built in optical drive. Additionally, such drives are large spenders of battery power in use.

Everyone needs to step back and look at the product for what its intended and not for how it can be adapted for tasks outside its intention.

Well said.

I carry my TiBook back and forth to work every day. The extra portability of the MBA appeals to me. However, even though I have an iMac for my video and photo work, I am not sure that I want to reduce my portable's functionality quite so much. Nevertheless, you won't see me complaining about it. I feel like I have a pretty good spread of options with the MBA, MB and MBP to choose from. All I need now is money...

...And I only have about 6 months to go until the iIreland tablet Mac is introduced!
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.

Reminds me of 2004 and 2003 and 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However:

In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face); your impressions:?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    The MBA is not impressive at all. I need a firewire input for my video projects. But the lack of a built in optical drive is the deal breaker. Even the smallest Sony portables have one. Imagine wanting to watch a DVD on the plane and having to plug in that external. How cumbersome and lame.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

The MBA is not impressive at all. I need a firewire input for my video projects. But the lack of a built in optical drive is the deal breaker. Even the smallest Sony portables have one. Imagine wanting to watch a DVD on the plane and having to plug in that external. How cumbersome and lame.

WHo watches DVDs on planes? You use much less power by ripping them to your HDD first. Most laptops wouldn't even last the typical 2+ hours before their machine would die.

Either way, your desire to use DVD and need for FW makes you not the target consumer for this device. For example, Rolls Royce Phantoms are not for me because I'd rather drive than be driven, but that doesn't mean I can't see what an impressive machine it is.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redison View Post

Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.

Reminds me of 2004 and 2003 and 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However:

In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face); your impressions:?

Maybe he's taking this "thin" thing a little too seriously.

Steve Jobs Air
  • Reply 19 of 55
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

I know! I can't even play a DVD on my iPod! What's up with that? And as for editing my latest feature film on my iPhone, just don't go there... it sux!
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:

Not exactly the first computer I would think of to use for Video editing. It is a good thing it wasn't designed for that.

And my Mac mini makes a horrible server. And even though that MacPro has handles, it is a real hassle to use on the bus.