...wait, the MacWorld event isn't over yet... right?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...if it's a yes, wow. ****ing wow. I'm still waiting for a new iMac GPU, or if I had to, I'd get a Mac Pro, as long as it had a new Apple Cinema Display, yet NEITHER happened. What the **** is Apple up to? The hardware is now either really overpriced, outdated, or both.

My only question is why Apple is doing this. It makes no sense. \

The MacBook Air is nice, but spec vs. price wise, there's no reason to get it. And that was pretty much the only Computer update related to Apple. Only impressive thing was the wireless Optical Drive thing, and Time Capsule, and it doesn't matter if there's no hardware to justify it.

I guess all we can pray for, is Apple reveals a lot tomorrow on the Movie part of their presentation about the GPU and iSight, which doesn't make much sense for a Movie presentation.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

My only question is why Apple is doing this. It makes no sense.

They never update all the products at once. And they never talk about all the updates at the keynote. A new GPU in the iMac isn't newsworthy - 99% of iMac buyers wouldn't know the difference and wouldn't care if they did know the difference.

What makes you think the GPU in the iMac needs "updating"?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    The ATi 2600 sucks. It's almost a year-old card. All many people are asking is for one new GPU, like the nVidia 8800 GT. Or at least make the damn thing cheaper.

I'm stuck in the middle here. The Mac Pro is missing features I want, and costs a bloody fortune. But the iMac only just doesn't meet my expectations. It feels like Apple is going to release new content for them, as it's been a while.

The main reason, is I was just waiting for SOMETHING to be updated... yet, nothing. Huge letdown.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

The ATi 2600 sucks. It's almost a year-old card. All many people are asking is for one new GPU, like the nVidia 8800 GT. Or at least make the damn thing cheaper.

I'm stuck in the middle here. The Mac Pro is missing features I want, and costs a bloody fortune. But the iMac only just doesn't meet my expectations. It feels like Apple is going to release new content for them, as it's been a while.

The main reason, is I was just waiting for SOMETHING to be updated... yet, nothing. Huge letdown.

As an owner of both an aluminum iMac and a PC with an HD 2600, I have to disagree. Sure, it's not a high-end GPU, but it's never let me down yet. I can still play Call of Duty 4 with High settings and a resolution of 1280x800. About the only thing it won't do fairly well is Crysis.

Besides, the iMac isn't meant to be a high-end machine. But, maybe when the nVidia GeForce 9600 becomes readily available, it will get that card. If you're waiting for the iMac to have a top-range GPU, it won't happen.

If you need a high-end GPU, the Mac Pro offers the GeForce 8800 GT or the Quadro FX 5600. If you need a home computer with an appropriate graphics card for a home computer, there's the iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I would, but it's almost double the price of the iMac with the simple things. A bit absurd for just a better GPU, no?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    You're in Windowz Gamer Mode. You are thinking of a computer as a GPU with some other things attached to it.

99% of Apple's market couldn't give 2 flips about GPUs, if they even know what a GPU is. And if they were sat down in front of two identical iMacs, one with some expensive and heat-generating GPU and another with the ATI 2600, they couldn't tell the difference.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I suppose. But does it hurt to ask for a little better performance? Hell, even the MacBook Pro's GPU could be considered better (nVidia 8600). A freaking Laptop. That's a little bit sad, IMO. All I'm asking is for it to not be 2 years behind-wise in GPU.

And why doesn't Apple keep up with the GPU anyway? It's the only thing holding them back in the gaming market, a huge audience. The CPU is fast, the RAM is great. It just makes me scratch my head.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Real PC hardcore gamers wouldn't buy the iMac no matter what GPU Apple put in it. Apple would be wasting money and adding to the cost for no reason. The gamers would still bitch about not having "bays" and not being able to "change out the GPU." There is no winning with these people. Even if they somehow bought a Mac, they would spend all the rest of their money at NewEgg. And they would be tying up the Apple support lines complaining about how "laggy" whatever their shoot-em-up game is. Then they call Comcast and complain about how "laggy" it is to them also, and complain about the pings being too high.

Apple knows this, and doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

If the game companies ever get a clue and write the damn games in Xcode using OpenGL, instead of writing it for Windows and DirectX and then trying some kludged-up Mac port that takes 2 years to arrive, then maybe Apple would have some market to which they could sell GPU upgrades.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yo seriously, where the hell is the new Mac Book Pros. Geez.. they better have some stuff tomorrow.