First Look: Apple TV 2.0 and iTunes Movie Rentals (photos, video)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 232
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    This whole thing we call media wouldn't be here if it weren't for the 'greedy movie studios', so, what's your real point? Browser? Why? DVDs? Why? DVR? Huh? AppleTV has always worked...now it works on a whole new level.
  • Reply 22 of 232
    Quote:

no browser

That would be fun with the apple remote. [sarcasm]

Quote:

no streaming DVD's from your computer

why would you want to? Most people have some device hooked up to their tv that supports dvd playback. Going from the computer to the tv would be pretty worthless, but going from the Tv's dvd player to the computer might be interesting.

Quote:

no taping of on-air programming

good point, that is probably my most desired feature. But thinking about it, i already have a DVR. I guess if apple let recorded tv shows sync back to the computer it would be good, but that would also would be competition for them.

Quote:

ripping my own DVD's

???
  • Reply 23 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Does anyone know when we might see the new rental system in iTunes? Or is it there and I am missing it! I do have the software update.

I was wondering about that too. Did you notice there was a "Top Rentals" box on the iTunes Store home screen as well?
  • Reply 24 of 232
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

That would be fun with the apple remote. [sarcasm] You could via either a bluetooth keyboard or keyboard in the interface like the youtube one. You could shop Amazon or some where else for something beside iTunes content.

why would you want to?

Because you could eliminate it and have one less device. And the ATV has no drive- most computers do.

Most people have some device hooked up to their tv that supports dvd playback. Going from the computer to the tv would be pretty worthless, but going from the Tv's dvd player to the computer might be interesting.

good point, that is probably my most desired feature. But thinking about it, i already have a DVR. I guess if apple let recorded tv shows sync back to the computer it would be good, but that would also would be competition for them.

???

You can ripp your CD's to iTunes but not your DVDs. Again you have to use either handbrake or of course buy it again from iTunes! But the government won't let iTunes do it but will let Handbrake.
  • Reply 25 of 232
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

This whole thing we call media wouldn't be here if it weren't for the 'greedy movie studios', so, what's your real point? Browser? Why? DVDs? Why? DVR? Huh? AppleTV has always worked...now it works on a whole new level.

Why because there are now more ways to pay for things on iTunes?
  • Reply 26 of 232
    I have yet to see whether this device will load VIDEO_TS files like Front Row currently does. Having access to those files on another machine would be great, or at least temporarily transferring them to the AppleTV. I can't stand having to convert them to another format - waste of time.

Very hard to figure some of this out from the descriptions we are getting from the Expo...
  • Reply 27 of 232
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What other VOD system does much better than that? Whether you go through Comcast, Microsoft's Xbox Live, VUDU, Netflix, they are all systems to get those companies more money. I really don't see why one box has to do absolutely everything, it's probably not going to happen anyway. You can get close with an HTPC, but you either input more work or more money to get everything. Apparently you can get a satellite tuner card for HTPCs now, but it must be with Vista Media Center and a compatible TV.

Fox announced the new movie DVDs that include an iPod compatible file already on them, so you get the best of both worlds at no extra cost.
  • Reply 28 of 232
    I am waiting for iSight to be integrated into AppleTV with iChat and Skype integration. Mainly for video with distance family.
  • Reply 29 of 232
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Prices on refurbished Apple TVs have also dropped. The 40GB model is $179.00 and the 160 gigger is $279.00. I ordered a 160 this afternoon, and it shipped this evening.

nice! now you'll have to wait two weeks till the firmware is available.
  • Reply 30 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by binarystorm View Post

I am waiting for iSight to be integrated into AppleTV with iChat and Skype integration. Mainly for video with distance family.

My AppleTV is about 3 feet off the ground behind glass. How exactly would an integrated iSight camera work?
  • Reply 31 of 232
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Rentals and new movies are available in iTunes
  • Reply 32 of 232
    The price for a refurbished unit is $199 not $179.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=FA711LL/A

BTW the rental feature on iTunes has been enabled .
  • Reply 33 of 232
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

Nope, because you can now pay for them from AppleTV in the den--instead of iTunes. This, coupled with EyeTV 3 is really making Comcast seem less necessary in my world.
  • Reply 34 of 232
    Quote:

Sadly, AppleTV has become basically an empty digital jukebox whose sole purpose is to give money continually to Apple via iTunes. It could have been so much more. But unfortunately there is no browser, no streaming DVD's from your computer, no taping of on-air programming, ripping my own DVD's, and on and on. I know it's those damn greedy movie studios and the government again that are forcing me to spend money on iTunes. Oh well- it could have been a video revolution.

Honestly, if you want to watch your DVDs, use your freakin' DVD player. It takes 1-2 hours to rip a DVD, and probably longer if it was done via the Apple TV's paltry little processor; it takes 30 seconds to pull a DVD from your shelf and put it in your DVD player. Whatever time you save by having all of your films listed digitally is negated by the hundreds of hours you'd spend to get them there.
  • Reply 35 of 232
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    .....the AppleTV would play video_ts files. I would buy one in a heart beat!
  • Reply 36 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My AppleTV is about 3 feet off the ground behind glass. How exactly would an integrated iSight camera work?

i actually like that idea. you could connect one of those old isight cams, and video conference with the tv. or a wireless isight that can be accessed by any machine on your home network. would be great for me to put in the baby's room instead for the baby monitor.
  • Reply 37 of 232
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Honestly, if you want to watch your DVDs, use your freakin' DVD player. It takes 1-2 hours to rip a DVD, and probably longer if it was done via the Apple TV's paltry little processor; it takes 30 seconds to pull a DVD from your shelf and put it in your DVD player. Whatever time you save by having all of your films listed digitally is negated by the hundreds of hours you'd spend to get them there.

Actually no it does not take 1 to 2 hours to rip a DVD. I have ripped my entire collection in complete RAW quality, uncompressed and it took me a couple weekends.

There are lots of reasons to justify doing this, convenience, not having to worry about scratching the DVDs, etc. All big factors when you have kids (which I don't yet).

Take for example the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets. They are very limited. And how much do kids like to get their hands on things and just start hacking around? They rip stuff, bite stuff, al without even really realizing what their doing. Having all the DVDs digitally on an external drive allows you to never have to worry about these things.
  • Reply 38 of 232
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Actually no it does not take 1 to 2 hours to rip a DVD. I have ripped my entire collection in complete RAW quality, uncompressed and it took me a couple weekends.

There are lots of reasons to justify doing this, convenience, not having to worry about scratching the DVDs, etc. All big factors when you have kids (which I don't yet).

Take for example the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets. They are very limited. And how much do kids like to get their hands on things and just start hacking around? They rip stuff, bite stuff, al without even really realizing what their doing. Having all the DVDs digitally on an external drive allows you to never have to worry about these things.

It's a neat concept, and those are good reasons for doing it, but 99.9% of people aren't willing to spend days on end ripping their collection, so doubling the size and cost of the Apple TV to include a disc drive would be a poor choice on Apple's part. Moreover, Apple could kiss their studio support goodbye if they provided a free means of bypassing DVD copyright protection, not to mention a hefty lawsuit. Besides, the Apple TV only has a 40 or 160GB hard drive ? with no means of adding more storage ? so it's not like there's anywhere to put the movies you can't rip anyhow. By the time Apple included a Blu-Ray drive, 1TB of storage, and everything else that's already in the Apple TV, you'd be talking about a niche product that's more expensive than most people in that niche are even willing to spend. They'd say, "why would I spend $xxxx on a set top box when I could buy a home theatre pc that does all that and more for $xxx?".
  • Reply 39 of 232
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

What's the difference how, where, or to whom you pay?

In the end, you pay. That's all that matters.

The only around it is to steal content. You're not suggesting that, so what's the problem?
  • Reply 40 of 232
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Time to order a 160...the 40 can move to the bedroom.

Oh, and optical media is dying a slow death. I told that guy that DVD/HD-DVD/BR would never hit AppleTV.

No it isn't, people aren't going to rush out and pay ?399 ($591) to rent a highly compressed movie that may not look that much better than a upscaled DVD