Apple Stock drops sharply after Expo??? Why?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not too savvy with the whole Mac scene(yet) but it strikes me odd that Apple stock went down after the announcement of new products. Is the new Macbook Air and Apple TV just not worth the price or do they not have the specs worth it that current Mac users needed to migrate over to them?

Am I missing something,

Ken

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendall1 View Post

I'm not too savvy with the whole Mac scene(yet) but it strikes me odd that Apple stock went down after the announcement of new products. Is the new Macbook Air and Apple TV just not worth the price or do they not have the specs worth it that current Mac users needed to migrate over to them?

My personal perspective is that Apple for the most part delivered crap at MWSF!!!!

Details:

1.Iphone and Touch upgrades where interesting but underwhelming. Both platforms appear to be stagnating. The lack of hardware upgrades for both devices was a big mistake. I do however hold out the possibility that updates will be timed with the SDK release.

2. Apple TV is and the associated distribution updates do not seem to be extremely compelling. Bluntly the rentals approach is a bit wanting.

3. Air should be called vacuum due to all the sucking noises coming from it. It may very well sell well but I won't be adding it to my collection anytime soon.

4. iNAS, this actually seems like the bright spot in the whole speech. Note that if a NAS system is the hot news at the debut then you have trouble.

Dave

Quote:

Am I missing something,

Ken

• Reply 2 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Buy on rumor and sell on facts. It's the same for every company.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the majority of it has to do with investor's confidence in the overall economy. If the economy sucks, all of the stuff Apple puts out won't sell well.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Am I missing something,

Ken

Yes, you clearly don't have experience in the stock market. The price goes up because people are buying, and it goes down because people are selling. You make money if you buy or sell before everybody else wants to do the same. If you waited until after Apple (or any other company) had announced a product, then you're too late... the rest of the market is moving earlier based on speculation.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My personal perspective is that Apple for the most part delivered crap at MWSF!!!!

Details:

1.Iphone and Touch upgrades where interesting but underwhelming. Both platforms appear to be stagnating. The lack of hardware upgrades for both devices was a big mistake. I do however hold out the possibility that updates will be timed with the SDK release.

2. Apple TV is and the associated distribution updates do not seem to be extremely compelling. Bluntly the rentals approach is a bit wanting.

3. Air should be called vacuum due to all the sucking noises coming from it. It may very well sell well but I won't be adding it to my collection anytime soon.

4. iNAS, this actually seems like the bright spot in the whole speech. Note that if a NAS system is the hot news at the debut then you have trouble.

1. Sorry to disappoint you, but hardware doesn't actually advance as fast as you seem to think it does. iPhone/iTouch came out with the latest hardware available, and there have been no significant advancements in the past 6 months. Engineering takes time. Get used to it. And a steady stream of software refinements is always nice for people who already own the device... it just keeps getting better.

2. I think it looks pretty compelling. Sorry if the rental idea doesn't do it for you, but its fine for me and I'd much rather download that make 2 trips to the local rental shop or ages for a particular movie to arrive in the mail. And the AppleTV device itself is nice and unobstrusive, and the interface looks pretty good. When its available in my country I think its time to jump on board.

3. Fortunately Apple doesn't need you to add it to your collection, they just need it to sell well. And it probably doesn't have to sell well as it looks like the kind of product that draws people in to look... even if they end up with a different Apple product.

4. Looks like a pretty good price for a 500GB or 1TB drive. Another nice slick device, but not earthshaking.

I didn't find the keynote an earthshaking event, but it wasn't disappointing. And it had nothing to do with stock price movement. The whole market was down.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Since this is Future Hardware, I assume that Apple's hardware division failed yet again to upgrade their iStock and iStock Pro products. iDividend runs as slow as ever. With no update, sales are down.

• Reply 7 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Am I missing something,

Ken

It's called a sell off. It happens after every expo/announcement. It's an easy quick buck. They start buying before the expo in anticipation of new products while the stock is rising, and then get out fast while your up. It has nothing to do with the products. It happens every time.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jimwajimwa Posts: 13member
    It would be just a tad simplistic for anyone to attribute Apple stock drop of the yesterday just to bad reactions to Steve's product announcements at MW08.

Both the Dow and Nasdaq had severe drops yesterday, and heck so did eBay, Google and RIMM for that matter.

Apple's stock has been getting beaten up quite a bit lately, with the rest of the markets, and the degree that it has fallen is most likely more due to the way it has gone up in the past year, rather than due to any disappointment from someone not getting their hope-for new hardware announced yesterday.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It's called a sell off. It happens after every expo/announcement. It's an easy quick buck. They start buying before the expo in anticipation of new products while the stock is rising, and then get out fast while your up. It has nothing to do with the products. It happens every time.

I learned about that the hard way 2 years ago when I bought apple stock at $51 when I heard that they had their largest profit ever (at the time). Three hours later it went down to $40 I believe. I'm still kinda pissed about that.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    rentals => awesome

appleTV => awesome

everything else => meh

Inflation is 4.1%, the asset bubbles (and the consumer spending that they fueled) of the last 10 years are gone, every company will start having problems soon. Apple stock is worth $140, it deserved a haircut no matter how good Apple did with new products.

The macbook air is for the metrosexual aluminum briefcase crowd (which is great because those same people will love MacOS), and it should sell OK and should kill the other mini-notebooks. The one place I could possibly see the macbook air being a big hit is in Japan, maybe.