Rentals/Apple TV Upgrade/When?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anybody know when the promised upgrades to the Apple TV and the ability to rent movies is going to happen? My Apple TV says no new software is available and iTunes 7.6 shows "new" under the store's movie listing...but just what is new?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Two weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Some of the movies are already available for rental on iTunes. Click on several and you will come across one eventually. Here is a tip: Blades Of Glory, Underdog, among many others. I don't have an AppleTV (yet) so I can't say whether or not rentals are available on the device but I would suspect not until the AppleTV 2 update about 2 weeks from now.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Some of the movies are already available for rental on iTunes. Click on several and you will come across one eventually. Here is a tip: Blades Of Glory, Underdog, among many others. I don't have an AppleTV (yet) so I can't say whether or not rentals are available on the device but I would suspect not until the AppleTV 2 update about 2 weeks from now.

Thanks! The Apple TV is not ready for prime time yet I guess. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. Appreciate the feedback!

Peter
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I downloaded a rental movie to my computer thinking that it would also sync to my AppleTV. It won't.

I guess that anyone that wants to watch a rental on AppleTV will have to wait two weeks for the software update.

Does anyone know if you will be able to transfer rental movies between computer and AppleTV?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildguess View Post

I downloaded a rental movie to my computer thinking that it would also sync to my AppleTV. It won't.

I guess that anyone that wants to watch a rental on AppleTV will have to wait two weeks for the software update.

Does anyone know if you will be able to transfer rental movies between computer and AppleTV?

I am SO glad you posted this.

I was going to rent a movie for the Mrs and I to watch tonight to check out the new rental thing.

Assumed I could rent on my Mac then sync Apple TV to watch on the plasma.

Oh wel,l another 1-2 weeks wont kill me, but I absolutely see us renting 3-4 movies a month from Apple versus my cable provider.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildguess View Post

From the iTunes Help file:

Quote:

"Renting movies from the iTunes Store

The iTunes Store offers movies you can rent. You can play rented movies in iTunes, on your iPod or iPhone, or using Apple TV.

NOTE: If you plan to watch a rented movie using Apple TV, you'll get the best-quality video by renting it using your Apple TV.

To rent movies from the iTunes Store:
    • In iTunes, click iTunes Store (below Store, on the left side of the iTunes window).

• In the iTunes Store, find a movie you want to rent.

• Click Rent.

After the movie downloads to your computer, to transfer the rental to an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV, connect the device, select it in iTunes, click the Movies tab, select the movie, and then click Move.

After you transfer a rental, it is removed from your iTunes library.

A rented movie expires 30 days after you rent it or 24 hours after you begin playing it, whichever comes first. Expired rentals are deleted automatically."