High-quality MacBook Air SuperDrive photos, notes on Remote Disc

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And even though that MacPro has handles, it is a real hassle to use on the bus.

With all the whining going on here today it's good read something funny.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Well Steve Jobs has officially convinced me that even he and Apple can fall to complacency. No BD? A "thin" notebook that lacks the optical drive that nearly all users need/want, no firewire (400 or 800), no 3g connectivity, no ethernet without an external plug, and the only wireless connectivty being Wifi??? Wow Steve, the "coffee" must be getting really good out there in Cupertino. Well while Steve was underwhelming the world today, Apple stock was falling like a stone (with good reason). Step aside Steve as the crowd runs out of the Apple store down the mall toward the Sony store so they can purchase their Vaio Blu-ray laptops with 3G, wifi, firewire and usb, and all in the size of the macbook. Can you say hackinstosh?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nolefan View Post

Gobbledygook

Thanks for the laugh. You talk like Apple's going to quit making MacBooks and MacBook Pros, and only sell this one. Not every product is for everybody. And good luck with that Vaio...
  • Reply 24 of 55
    1) If Remote Disc is installed on a PC, can that PC now read Mac formatted discs?

2) Does the external Superdive work on other computers (i.e. MacBook) or just the MacBook Air?
  • Reply 25 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

1) If Remote Disc is installed on a PC, can that PC now read Mac formatted discs?

2) Does the external Superdive work on other computers (i.e. MacBook) or just the MacBook Air?

Jobs said in the presentation that PCs will be able to read Mac formatted disc, with the software Apple will provide.

I would assume the Superdrive would work on a PC, but I don't know for sure.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Jobs said in the presentation that PCs will be able to read Mac formatted disc, with the software Apple will provide.

Maybe that is within the Remote Disk application only and will not be passed onto the rest to the OS.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Maybe that is within the Remote Disk application only and will not be passed onto the rest to the OS.

You have a point there. I really don't know, it wasn't explained in detail. I'm not sure if there's that much advantage to be gained, apart from some install DVDs, how many CDs or DVDs are Mac formatted? Unless there's a pressing need, I'd rather stick to the standards, like 9660 and so on.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You have a point there. I really don't know, it wasn't explained in detail. I'm not sure if there's that much advantage to be gained, apart from some install DVDs, how many CDs or DVDs are Mac formatted? Unless there's a pressing need, I'd rather stick to the standards, like 9660 and so on.

My point is, that if the free Apple software provides that functionality, then it eliminates the need for software like MacDrive. It's nice to be able to mount a Mac formatted external drive on a PC.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    And if I can get a classy looking external SuperDrive for $100 then count me in!!!!

I know that's probably only the "Buy with Air" price, but I could probably go to my local Apple retailer and get them to sell them to me through another customer who didn't want one.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I know! I can't even play a DVD on my iPod! What's up with that? And as for editing my latest feature film on my iPhone, just don't go there... it sux!

Haha, what a weak a$$ analogy. Last time I checked, the MBA was an $1800 notebook computer, not a phone or a music player. The fact that it doesn't have what most notebook computers have is frankly, piss poor. It takes up almost the same amount of space as a much cheaper and more fully featured Macbook in someone's backpack. Hell the low end MBP barely has a larger footprint than the MBA and it runs circles around it in every other way possible for only a couple hundred more. So, I'm curious: who IS the target market for this POS?
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Haha, what a weak a$$ analogy. Last time I checked, the MBA was an $1800 notebook computer, not a phone or a music player. The fact that it doesn't have what most notebook computers have is frankly, piss poor. It takes up almost the same amount of space as a much cheaper and more fully featured Macbook in someone's backpack. Hell the low end MBP barely has a larger footprint than the MBA and it runs circles around it in every other way possible for only a couple hundred more. So, I'm curious: who IS the target market for this POS?

No one is MAKING you buy it, If Apple made the perfect computer for EVERYONE they would only need to make one computer. This computer is not intended to be a replacement for everything. It is strictly a portable. It is NOT a video editing machine; the 1.8" disk wouldn't last long if people did a lot of that on it. It is NOT a desktop replacement. It is NOT about footprint, it is about weight, yes it has a similar footprint to the MacBook, but it weighs 2 pounds less. Not everyone uses Optical disks every day. Heck, I've got 2 drives in my Mac Pro and the last time I put a disk in one of the drives was over 2 months ago. What people need to realize is Apple made this product because there was demand for it, but this machine also exists to show off some new technology. They are relying totally on WiFi and I'm thinking it will prove that you can do that, it has a Multitouch track pad and the ability to reload your OS through a wireless network connection from a PC if you have to. They are doing a lot with only 3 I/O Ports. It is new battery technology and they are meeting the challenge of producing an environmentally friendly computer.

You may not be the target market, but there is a target market, I'm thinking about getting one myself I already have a loaded 8-Core Mac Pro so this machine I feel is a great companion for it when I want to travel very light. It is a good replacement for my trusty ol' 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

If you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand the answer.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I really found it amusing that Steve claimed they just 'innovated' remote drive. I've been building networks with shared optical drives since Mac OS 7.

I may be way out on a limb here - but I'm currently using a 12" iBook as my main portable and I haven't stuck a CD or DVD in there... for as long as I can remember... No SuperDrive for me, thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

If you are a user who is burning everyday... then you dont want the Air. This computer is for those who want a second machine that they can carry around without the bulk. Or for those who need to have extreme portability.

Well, it isn't that I burn everyday. But working in a creative industry, I'm constantly handed DVDs and CDs from clients and vendors. You're absolutely right, this is a second machine or a dedicated MS Office computer. I'm sure the writers will take a minute from walking the picket lines to sneak into an Apple store and buy one - seems perfect for them.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Well Steve Jobs has officially convinced me that even he and Apple can fall to complacency. No BD?

Wrong market. Apple wants to sell you online movies. Supplying computers with Blu-Ray drives for playback only would go against their general plan.

In addition, supporting Blu-Ray or HD-DVD commercial movie playback requires a significant level of commitment to system-wide hardware and software support for DRM, similar to what Vista offers on the right hardware. I doubt Apple is at all interested in going down that path.

The most likely scenario for BD on the Mac is that Apple will introduce BD-R drives as an optional feature for professional Mac models, aimed at content creators. It will not be designed to play back commercial Blu-Ray discs, only for use as data storage.

I expect this to happen at the NAB trade show in April, along with introduction of an updated Final Cut Studio which will add support for creation of Blu-Ray content.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    If you're on the east coast that big crash you heard yesterday was my heart breaking

I could live with the slower processor or the 13" instead of the 11" - 12" that I had hoped for BUT add to that an $1800 price tag and it's a no sale for me.

Gorgeous as it is, the Macbook air is something that I?ll just drool over and admire from afar.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Be great if they could use the remote disc technology to share a DVD over the network. Stick a movie in my G5's optical drive, and play it on my plasma via Apple TV!

Take 2.5 perhaps?
  • Reply 38 of 55
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    \ Meh..

I'm just not a fan of it. To me it's just something else that needs to be carried around rather than being integrated.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

Well Steve Jobs has officially convinced me that even he and Apple can fall to complacency. No BD? A "thin" notebook that lacks the optical drive that nearly all users need/want, no firewire (400 or 800), no 3g connectivity, no ethernet without an external plug, and the only wireless connectivty being Wifi??? Wow Steve, the "coffee" must be getting really good out there in Cupertino. Well while Steve was underwhelming the world today, Apple stock was falling like a stone (with good reason). Step aside Steve as the crowd runs out of the Apple store down the mall toward the Sony store so they can purchase their Vaio Blu-ray laptops with 3G, wifi, firewire and usb, and all in the size of the macbook. Can you say hackinstosh?

nolefan - The entire market was falling like a stone, but since you seem quite good at taking things out of context (including the point of this notebook), you didn't appear to notice that.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

This computer is for those who want a second machine that they can carry around without the bulk. Or for those who need to have extreme portability.

I wonder about that. Sure, they've reduced the bulk but if extreme portability were the primary goal then why a 13.3 screen? Apple is good at seeing demographics that others miss and they may do it again with the MBA, but I'm not convinced they're aiming this at the ultra-portable market. IMHO, the ultra-portable market wants a full featured laptop.