Apple offers $20 software upgrade for iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry but that lame excuse sounds like you've made it up, dude.

And I wrote the law and posted it all over the internet in 2002 just so I have this day. Gotta love the long con!
  • Reply 82 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And you desire for Apple to charge less make my post BS, how? I merely stated what was required by law; I made no argument for the price charged, in fact I mentioned I didn't know what the law requires in sense. I did post a link so anyone who wanted to could ingratiate themselves with the finer details.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I meant to say that if, in fact, it was required by law for them to charge for the upgrade, then they should've priced it cheaper. Going on to say that they had other motives by pricing the lousy update at $20. Needless to say, as a business = $$.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yes, Apple's greedy, right? You should have the twenty dollars, not them, right? Because it's yours and not theirs, right?

When two parties are competing over who should get $20, what makes one of them greedy and not the other?

No...

No...

No...

I'll just reply with a simple 'wtf'. I never said any of that. Nor was it implied. Nice try...
  • Reply 83 of 173
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Life's a bitch. You could have bought an HD DVD player at xmas and the contempt from Warner Bros. switching to Blu-Ray is far worse.

Except if you're a bluray supporter OR if you have been reading the news and could see that HD-DVD is on the ropes.

Steve's surprise was a bit out of the blu.

Pardon the pun.
  • Reply 84 of 173
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    What for ?!

how could iPod Touch be treated worse than iPhone when the Touch is actually premium and well over the damn phone .

WHERE THE F*CK IS THE iCAL sync missing???

why the hell 20 bucks -i'm hacking the thing ,.. this is stupid.
  • Reply 85 of 173
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    This is no different than buying any software that you don't currently have. If your Mac didn't ship with, let's say, iWork you'd have to buy it right? I think you need to get used to the idea that the iPhone and iPod Touch will be upgraded no differently than a Mac. This means that point upgrades will be free but if you want new software or a new version of current software you'll have to pay for it. Apple might start charging for new apps on the iPhone too.
  • Reply 86 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan;1198693[COLOR="Black"

]Jesus tapdancing christ[/COLOR], it's 20 DOLLARS, if you don't have $20, I'll loan it to you.

Christ, would you all like some cheese for your whine? Go sell your touches and get Zunes, Archos, or any other of a billion different PMPs on the market.

Jesus tapdancing christ?!

Probably the stupidest pseudoexpletive I've ever heard.
  • Reply 87 of 173
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmydoodlebug View Post

Jesus tapdancing christ?!

Probably the stupidest pseudoexpletive I've ever heard.

I think you mean the funniest.
  • Reply 88 of 173
    Okay I can understand people think they are being ripped off but you are not.

You bought the iPod as it is. Apple said they will be updating the iPhone they NEVER said they would be adding features to the iPod Touch.

It is now a feature of the Touch. If you bought one before you will feel a little bit cheesed off but you have to accept the facts. I have an iPhone and expect the software updates. I do not however think that the iPhone software update 2.0 will be free for certain.

If you wanted those features by the phone if not sorry but you knew the deal before

Further to this you are screaming over $20 its bloody £13 here so imagine it was $25/6 dollars. But in the end its still peanuts
  • Reply 89 of 173
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

During the 2006 MacWorld Jobs announced that the new AppleTV and iPhone that were coming out would use a *new* 24-month accounting model. Doing that would allow Apple the LEGAL ability to update those products with more than just a minor software update.

Since the iPod Touch is neither of these devices they are obligated by law to charge for any major updates. As to how much [they are required to charge], I don't know, but the law was set in place to protect the companies investors. Why they didn't out this device into the same 24-month accounting model? I don't know. Perhaps they couldn't if they used the iPod moniker.

While this may be your and possibly Apple's accountants' opinion of the law, I'm skeptical that any law specifically requires one to charge for a substantive software update (and I've taken more than a passive glance at Sarbanes-Oxley). These laws are intended to require accountability not govern business practice ... I suspect what you're interpreting as a "require[ment] to charge" is far more likely Apple's desire to avoid a "requirement to report as a loss" something which might look bad to investors. A company can give something away if they darn well please, they just have to account for it.
  • Reply 90 of 173
    It's a rip-off, through and through.

It wouldn't be so bad if a) they were brand new apps, b)it wasn't $20, and c) that older Touch users are left in the cold, new ones get them for free.

Apple updates the ATV for free, MS updated the Zune 1's to basically Zune 2's with a FW update...this is pretty unacceptable for such an expensive product.

I guess if I could be an Apple apologist, I might understand, but other than making the company more money, I don't see this move as a benefit to the people that spent $300 and $400 on them a month ago, during that particular December holiday. Doing it now, just smacks of a big "FU".

I think the next time Apple comes out with a new product, it would be best to wait awhile, as they'll apparently just screw over their early adopters. Which is a terrible way of treating its customers, but again, if I could be an apologist, I might be used to justifying it to myself.
  • Reply 91 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skids View Post

Us Brits have been shafted big time by this software!

The 'Worldwide' Weather app doesn't recognise cities outside of the US.

It is the usual story, an American company fails to recognise other countries, it really pisses me off. They have put in the search to enter a Postcode (Trying to be British?) but try a UK postcode and it wont recognise it!

On that note, iTunes Movie Rental is not available in the UK!!

I have emailed Apple asking for a refund.

It should recognize other cities. I have NZ AUST US and European cities working on mine. Just make sure you have a good wi fi connection when you are searching.
  • Reply 92 of 173
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

It's a rip-off, through and through.

It wouldn't be so bad if a) they were brand new apps, b)it wasn't $20, and c) that older Touch users are left in the cold, new ones get them for free.

I guess if I could be an Apple apologist, I might understand

Jesus. Give it a rest with this crybaby shit.

And think again before you accuse everyone who isn't a petulant child of being an Apple apologist. There are many things that Apple have done that I don't like and have said so about it; this is not one of those things.

a.) They are brand new for the iPod touch. The touch didn't have them, and now, the possibility is there if you want. If you wanted or needed these apps, you shouldn't have bought the iPod touch because it didn't have them and there was no gaurantee that it would ever get them. If you didn't know that the iPod touch didn't have the apps before you bought it, you should have researched better before buying an expensive luxury item.

b.) If the apps aren't worth $20 to you, don't pay the money and don't have the apps.

c.) If I bought a Mac before Leopard came out, I'd have to pay for the upgrade, but new ones get Leopard bundled for free. Congratulations, you've made the world's weakest argument for free-for-life operating system upgrades.

You have failed, just like everyone else, to explain why you should get enhanced functionality for free.
  • Reply 93 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

And think again before you accuse everyone who isn't a petulant child of being an Apple apologist. There are many things that Apple have done that I don't like and have said so about it; this is not one of those things.

a.) They are brand new for the iPod touch. The touch didn't have them, and now, the possibility is there if you want. If you wanted or needed these apps, you shouldn't have bought the iPod touch because it didn't have them and there was no gaurantee that it would ever get them. If you didn't know that the iPod touch didn't have the apps before you bought it, you should have researched better before buying an expensive luxury item.

b.) If the apps aren't worth $20 to you, don't pay the money and don't have the apps.

c.) If I bought a Mac before Leopard came out, I'd have to pay for the upgrade, but new ones get Leopard bundled for free. Congratulations, you've made the world's weakest argument for free-for-life operating system upgrades.

You have failed, just like everyone else, to explain why you should get enhanced functionality for free.

And because you said it, It has to be correct! Right?

Crybaby shit? If it is "crybaby shit" to you, why bother giving your 2 cents?
  • Reply 94 of 173
    PAID update for something that should have been included in the first place?? Are you freaking kidding me?

This totally comes off as nickel and diming, and apple will get raked over the coals for this. Huge backlash from customers, and the press will tear them a new one. I really can't believe apple did this, and I wouldn't be surprised if apple gets enough heat over this that they end up changing their mind and giving the update for free or much cheaper.

I also expect that there will be a TON of piracy of this. If it's installed by iTunes, I assume people have already hacked a way to get it for free?
  • Reply 95 of 173
    Quote:

People who bought the touch in spite of the absence of these apps still enjoyed it for a full 4 months before this update came out. Would any of them have traded those 4 months of use for $20? Ask any of them if they would go without their touches for 4 months in exchange for $20. If anybody says they would, they just don't enjoy it that much and probably shouldn't have bought it, in which case, they're more upset about $299 than $20.

They come out with new features for macs, ipods, iphones, etc, every 6-12 months. That's technology. If you're waiting for the best deal, you will never have the best product. You pay for the immediate gratification. So you either curse yourself for your impatience, or justify it by looking at how much that time you could have spent waiting is worth to you.
  • Reply 96 of 173
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

And because you said it, It has to be correct! Right?

Crybaby shit? If it is "crybaby shit" to you, why bother giving your 2 cents?

Probably because, like me, he's annoyed at how in the last 24 hours this oft well balanced and levelheaded forum has been assailed by the short-sided, circumlocutions of the typical Digg commenter,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I also expect that there will be a TON of piracy of this. If it's installed by iTunes, I assume people have already hacked a way to get it for free?

People added these apps when the iPod Touch was first released via a hack.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

People who bought the touch in spite of the absence of these apps still enjoyed it for a full 4 months before this update came out. Would any of them have traded those 4 months of use for $20? Ask any of them if they would go without their touches for 4 months in exchange for $20. If anybody says they would, they just don't enjoy it that much and probably shouldn't have bought it, in which case, they're more upset about $299 than $20.

You make a good point. If Apple just came out with an updated Touch with these new apps and large SSD they would probably be bitching that they couldn't buy these apps.
  • Reply 97 of 173
    You guys have got to stop focusing on the Apps. The apps are irrelevant. They may be overpriced and, yes, they should have been there from day one. But here's the rub:

Apple is charging me £12.99 to get Home Screen Rearrangng, Web Clips and Lyrics support. That is extortionate. I don't even want the apps. Just those 3 things. New touch buyers and iPhone users get those free.

It is a ripoff. If you didn't buy a touch, keep out of it. What does it have to do with you? It's our money, not yours. We'll decide if its fair.
  • Reply 98 of 173
    Quote:

If I may add?

I really fail to understand this concept of entitlement, i.e., that the purchase of a device obligates the developer to provide updates, new functionality and services for free.

The fact that, as is this case, Apple decides to provide offerings for free in one instance and to charge in another may not sit well with everybody, but it is no different than your dad giving you the keys to his car with a tank full of gas one week and empty the following week.

In either event, you have the option of walking, but you don't have the right to put sugar in his gas tank.

As for the newest offerings for the iPod Touch, this is not a upgrade. These are separate applications. And for those that haven't done the math, at less than $5 each.

Perhaps what Apple should have done, was let a third-party developer create them. I would image that Microsoft would have loved to produce an iPod Touch 1-Note, and at a lot more than a fin.

In a short while there will be a slue of iPhone and iPod Touch third-party applications hitting the market. One would expect that they won't be given away free, and it is not necessary that they are. However, now that Apple has set a price precedent, I would suggest that anything over a sawbuck would be suicide. But who knows what Adobe could come up with?
  • Reply 99 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecton View Post

It should recognize other cities. I have NZ AUST US and European cities working on mine. Just make sure you have a good wi fi connection when you are searching.

I was sat about 12 inches away from my wireless router!

In fact I have just removed the default one and tried again and it is working (Although it doesn't have my town, Northampton)

I will have to make do with Birmingham
  • Reply 100 of 173
    I love all the nut hugging going on here standing up for Apple. I guarantee you if somebody made another thread with a Poll, you would see that 99% of people are pissed over this. We're the customers they should be listening to. This is just a test to see if they can start hitting us up for money on upgrades for other products, i.e. MacBook Pro, iMac, etc. Can you imagine the cost of the upgrade on a premium product like the Pro? This is complete bullshit, and if you do not agree, you need to release the kung fu grip on Jobs nut sack! This is not right, It's because of this type of bullshit that I left Windows for. Money Hungry Bullshit! And stop with the "They had to charge due to blah blah blah! Ok, then why not $.99? or $.99 per new application? I paid top Dollar for this iPod for myself and all my employees. At $400 it should be able to have these apps built in, It's not like the unit has a 160 Gig Hard drive built in that we're paying for, it has 16 G, and came with SHIT.

I have all the means to pay for the upgrade but will never! Jailbreak works like a champ and there is no reason in hell why people shouldn't go that route instead.

Jobs, quit hanging out with Gates so much, He's starting to rub off on you.