No New ACDs...AGAIN...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really didn't expect a mention in the keynote. Instead I thought there would be a silent upgrade when the store came back online.

Well, it's up and no new ACDs.

So what does this mean for Apple's displays?

According to the Mac Buyer's Guide they are approaching two years without a change other than the price drop last year.

NEC just came out with a new high-end professional monitor that offer 102% NTSC gamut and 98% Adobe RGB gamut. And it's a 30-inch model.

Is Apple getting out of this game?

Or do we have to wait for NAB?

And if they don't unveil them there, then where?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Awful. I'm supremely disappointed. Again.

Apple, you need to release new ACD's. The new MacPros look decent, but yet again I'm going to hold off on purchase. I know there are cadres of folks in just the same situation.

Awful.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Seems like NAB is the place to see these new products. I guess Apple is starting to target trade shows for product release cycles, more and more.

NAB makes sense for Cinema.

MacWorld seems to be a whore for laptops, phones and TV.

Normally, the WWDC is a haven for Mac Workstations and Servers, with this year as an acception.

The Time Capsule seems to be a product that can be showcased at any time.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

I wanted to upgrade my 20" LCD to a larger panel back in August 2006, but I held off because I anticipated updated Cinema Displays. Then, the want turned into need as the panel slowly deteriorated and 20" became less viable. Still, the draw of an updated 30" kept me from plunking down the money.

I'm limping along now with two 20" LCDs of differing vintage, and they just aren't going to make it to April.

I guess I'm going to have to consider NEC, HP (shudder), and Dell (shudder).

I know that one month after I buy a new monitor, Apple will deploy a 32" LED Cinema Display.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkjj40a View Post

Awful. I'm supremely disappointed. Again.

Apple, you need to release new ACD's. The new MacPros look decent, but yet again I'm going to hold off on purchase. I know there are cadres of folks in just the same situation.

Awful.

Given the state of Apple's updates for professional systems, I bought the new Mac Pro when it was announced. If there is an announcement of new ACDs at NAB and they are competitive with others in the same professional category, then I will buy the new ACD when it is announced.

But if there is no announcement at NAB, then NEC will get my money. I can't wait any longer than that. Especially as it could be anytime or never with Apple.

I cannot afford to continue to play the waiting game with Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I my self will be uprading my workstation in March, will go for new Mac Pro, and... well with no sign of new pro Displays i'm going for the best - Eizo...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    this is the worst MWSF ever. They focused on some stupid thin machine that barely has any power to it and is a 13 inch screen. What the hell is this.. I thought we were known to be design enthusiasts, recording artists, graphic artists and not some low grade shit. Why are they trying to get all fancy? I need all the power I can get.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I am one of the pioneers of complaining regarding lack of ACDs... I've come to accept that this is a fact of life!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

'm actually shocked as well that the displays weren't updated. Have there been any articles on this topic or comments from Apple?

Sooooo disappointed.

I took a look at a DELL 30"... ugh... but was wondering if there were any other suggestions you guys have for someone doing lots of HD editing?

Too bad... I just ordered my new Mac Pro last week and was hoping to match it with a new 30"display...

Has Apple made announcements like this at NAB before?

NEC has announced that their new professional displays will be available in Feb. Check out the announcement I referenced above in the OP.

Also, as Takemura suggested, Eizo makes great monitors as well.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

NEC has announced that their new professional displays will be available in Feb. Check out the announcement I referenced above in the OP.

Also, as Takemura suggested, Eizo makes great monitors as well.

Eizo makes great and EXPENSIVE monitors. They make Apple monitors look reasonably priced.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I am too very disappointed. I also want to order my long awaited Mac Pro setup with a 30" ACD. The ACD line is OLD and needs to be updated. Apple left me hanging again. I've been waiting since August. I know I will buy a ACD now only to have it get updated in a few months.

As for Dells, their new 3008WFP is nice, but it's $2,000 and is still cathod illuminated and it really has no new technology outside of a different case and more inputs. I want new technology and since I'm very anal about looks I want something that matches my Mac Pro.

Does everyone seriously believe we will see a ACD in April? I'm hopeful again that April will bring a new ACD. I heard a few rumors about the ACD's possibly being revealed on the 17th and 18th of Janurary at MSFW?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.PS View Post

I am too very disappointed. I also want to order my long awaited Mac Pro setup with a 30" ACD. The ACD line is OLD and needs to be updated. Apple left me hanging again. I've been waiting since August. I know I will buy a ACD now only to have it get updated in a few months.

As for Dells, their new 3008WFP is nice, but it's $2,000 and is still cathod illuminated and it really has no new technology outside of a different case and more inputs. I want new technology and since I'm very anal about looks I want something that matches my Mac Pro.

Does everyone seriously believe we will see a ACD in April? I'm hopeful again that April will bring a new ACD. I heard a few rumors about the ACD's possibly being revealed on the 17th and 18th of Janurary at MSFW?

The way things are now, who knows?

Unfortunately, Apple's recent track record shows that they are erratic in their product releases. It cold happen tomorrow, or at NAB in April, or at WWDC in June or sometime that makes no sense to you or me.

I do not think that Apple is going to abandon the monitor market, but with only one product that requires a monitor, they don't have a lot of incentive to keep up with the competition.

I would prefer to buy an ACD, but full price for two year old tech is not happening. I have started to look at other suppliers because I have to. My old formac monitors are not going to last forever and I really would like something with better a color gamut for work.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

I do not think that Apple is going to abandon the monitor market, but with only one product that requires a monitor, they don't have a lot of incentive to keep up with the competition.

*cough*Mac Mini*cough*

It's not like they had more products that needed displays in the past anyway...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

*cough*Mac Mini*cough*

It's not like they had more products that needed displays in the past anyway...

oh yeah, sorry about that.

• Reply 14 of 18
    Just read this on the NYT website. Interesting read with this very interesting statement at the end:

Quote:

Richard Doherty, research director of Envisioneering, a technology assessment firm, said that AppleTV was the best solution to date for getting movie downloads. But he said consumers ultimately may favor a way to get digital content onto their televisions that does not involve buying or installing another box.

?No one we?ve ever interviewed wants a set-top box,? Mr. Doherty said.

He believes that Apple, hoping to compete with manufacturers that have integrated Internet access technology into televisions, will eventually introduce a TV set of its own. ?We?re fairly sure they?ve been working on that, and it might be a summer announcement,? Mr. Doherty said.

I wonder if there is a slew of Apple displays and TVs coming at NAB. It would make sense from a marketing point of view. Apple could get a lot of press for announcing an Apple TV that actually is a TV and it would cast a spotlight on their new display offerings as well, garnering more press for what otherwise would be a ho-hum announcement to anyone who isn't desperately seeking a new ACD.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    ACDs either NAB or WWDC.

Apple must have a really good reason not to release it now. It could be many factors.

They for sure know it needs an update.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Did you look at the NEC I referenced above? It shows a lot of promise. here's the link to the press release from NEC:

NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS ADDS 30-INCH WIDE-SCREEN MONITOR TO AWARD-WINNING, PROFESSIONAL 90 SERIES
  • Reply 17 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this is the worst MWSF ever. They focused on some stupid thin machine that barely has any power to it and is a 13 inch screen. What the hell is this.. I thought we were known to be design enthusiasts, recording artists, graphic artists and not some low grade shit. Why are they trying to get all fancy? I need all the power I can get.

So 8-core Mac Pro at under $2800 doesn't foot the bill with you? Let's not forget that MWSF is the "consumer" show. iPhones, ATV and cute notebooks should hold sway.

Quote:

Just read this on the NYT website. Interesting read with this very interesting statement at the end:

I wonder if there is a slew of Apple displays and TVs coming at NAB. It would make sense from a marketing point of view. Apple could get a lot of press for announcing an Apple TV that actually is a TV and it would cast a spotlight on their new display offerings as well, garnering more press for what otherwise would be a ho-hum announcement to anyone who isn't desperately seeking a new ACD.

That would be damn cool! ACD with ATV built in though people would complain about the price. I'm sure new ACD are coming and hopefully they have DisplayPort and HDMI options.