So is the Mini dead then?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How long has it been? It's a freaking ghost.

Rest in peace??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    I'm thinking the same thing....

this was supposed to be a birthday present to me. I was REALLY hoping for an update.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I'm thinking the same thing....

this was supposed to be a birthday present to me. I was REALLY hoping for an update.

Try a PC with Vista guy!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    yeah, i'm quite disappointed too...

guess i can wait for the mini to update another few weeks, but i'll spec out a new athlon bsd-box while waiting...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubgirl View Post

yeah, i'm quite disappointed too...

guess i can wait for the mini to update another few weeks, but i'll spec out a new athlon bsd-box while waiting...

Well let's hope no one tries to google YOUR username.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Curiosity killed the cat...
  • Reply 6 of 31
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    The mini got an update in September... how is that a long time? That's like saying the iMac hasn't been updated in eons either.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

That's like saying the iMac hasn't been updated in eons either.

Which is a good thing! How many people with a 5 month old PC can say it's still the latest and greatest out there?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

The mini got an update in September... how is that a long time? That's like saying the iMac hasn't been updated in eons either.

Oh ya just like the Macbook...whups it got upgraded to Santa Rosa.

All I wanted was a Mini upgrade to Santa Rosa as well...
  • Reply 9 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Every single Mac model is on Santa Rosa with X3100 graphics capability, the Mini isn't. It's always pushed as far down the spec as Apple can make it go without people thinking it's second hand hardware.

A slight CPU bump is not a proper update - it wasn't for the Mac Pro and it wasn't for the Mini.

The Mac Pro has been updated properly (prices, processors, graphics), the iMac got a new design and spec, the MBP has had great updates, the Macbook has been upgraded to Santa Rosa with faster processors. The Mini lies in the corner crying, rejected.

It's getting pretty tiresome really but Apple seems to have made themselves pretty clear they don't want people buying the Mini or anything that doesn't fit into their narrow-minded view of the computer industry. They will probably win in the end but they're going to lose a lot of respect from a lot of fans. Given that their main interest seems to be money, I doubt that will have much of an impact.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    i was waiting on it too((
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Every single Mac model is on Santa Rosa with X3100 graphics capability, the Mini isn't. It's always pushed as far down the spec as Apple can make it go without people thinking it's second hand hardware.

A slight CPU bump is not a proper update - it wasn't for the Mac Pro and it wasn't for the Mini.

The Mac Pro has been updated properly (prices, processors, graphics), the iMac got a new design and spec, the MBP has had great updates, the Macbook has been upgraded to Santa Rosa with faster processors. The Mini lies in the corner crying, rejected.

It's getting pretty tiresome really but Apple seems to have made themselves pretty clear they don't want people buying the Mini or anything that doesn't fit into their narrow-minded view of the computer industry. They will probably win in the end but they're going to lose a lot of respect from a lot of fans. Given that their main interest seems to be money, I doubt that will have much of an impact.

It's too bad...I think I am going to buy an older one on eBay....
  • Reply 12 of 31
    is there any chance that it could be updated within the next couple months?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

is there any chance that it could be updated within the next couple months?

Definitely, in fact, they hardly ever announce hardware improvements at events now. But the Mini is still always last to get the updates and is hardly ever mentioned by Apple. Even if they held it in the same regard as the Macbook.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Well let's hope no one tries to google YOUR username.

What this is supposed to mean?

And on the mini topic, I believe its days are numbered.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

What this is supposed to mean?

And on the mini topic, I believe its days are numbered.

Google for 'tubgirl' and see what comes up. Just don't do it at work. Or around children. Actually... you probably shouldn't do it at all.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

Google for 'tubgirl' and see what comes up. Just don't do it at work. Or around children. Actually... you probably shouldn't do it at all.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind.

When you're done with that try "goatse". It makes for a great encore...
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    2 girls 1 cup would be another good one to steer clear of.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

When you're done with that try "goatse". It makes for a great encore...

Had not yet the chance, I will probably try in the days ahead because of some constraints now. But does the word means something?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    If Apple stays with the mini (and I think they will) then it will get a quiet upgrade in the near future. Personally I think that Apple should bring it to a current level for switchers - just like it was originally designed for. But then I think that Apple should have the xMac for those switchers to move up a notch without having to go to the MacPro.