High-quality photos and notes on Apple's new MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Do you guys remember when you were kids and grandma would come over and make Sunday breakfast? She would always make your pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouses head,

Well I guess thats the reason they had to have the battery internal, as it is also shaped like Mickey Mouses head.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    well....
  • Reply 63 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

Cons

is it really for traveling usage or for show while you travel?

price... (needless to say...)

no ethernet port

is it sturdy enough that you wont break it in two? (well.. its very thin..)

People thought that the nano would break in two. Aside from a couple reports early on, the nanos seemed to hold up pretty well. My nano has held up better despite taking more abuse. So it could actually do pretty well, we'll have to see.

I don't know if no wired Ethernet is really a deal-breaker. "n" is supposed to be pretty good.

Quote:

Recommendation: If i have a lot of money, i will buy without hesitation.. but then again.. is this a playing thing or a work horse (basically getting my work done) laptop? i guess depends on how you individually use a laptop

It depends. If you're a writer, then the battery life may be more of a consideration than anything else and that type of activity obviously doesn't take much horsepower.
  • Reply 64 of 111
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Simply beautiful.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    These are mouth-watering photos. More than Macworld, these photos are luring me into buying one for myself.

Sachin
  • Reply 66 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I personally dislike black keyboards but they look cooler with lighted letters. I suppose that's the reason for Apple's decision. Aluminum would look much nicer, like on the MBP.

It's not just that they look cooler backlit, they are functionally better. With the aluminium colour used on the MacBook Pro, there is a point in low-ambient-light conditions where the colour of the backlight and the colour of the keys is similar, and it's actually harder to read the markings on the keys. With black keys, there is a proper contrast whatever the ambient lighting conditions.

Also, I like black, I think it looks sharp. Can't wait for the MacBook Pro revision. It better have the magnetic latch and new-style keyboard or I'm going to be
  • Reply 67 of 111
    Quote:

Cons

?

price... (needless to say...)

?

FAIL.

Compare against other ultraportables, the price is competitive.
  • Reply 68 of 111
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I am puzzled why they didn't put an iMac like black edge around the screen

It is looking so much better and it sucks you right into Leopard!

mr O

http://gallery.mac.com/ohsoquiet#100008 < in case the picture did not come through.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am puzzled why they didn't put an iMac like black edge around the screen

It is looking so much better and it sucks you right into Leopard!

mr O

http://gallery.mac.com/ohsoquiet#100008 < in case the picture did not come through.

Can someone download this image from my .mac gallery and post it to this thread? I am quite pleased with my Photoshop job and I made it web friendly
  • Reply 70 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Can someone download this image from my .mac gallery and post it to this thread? I am quite pleased with my Photoshop job and I made it web friendly

Can't you link directly to the .mac-hosted .jpg?

Like this:

• Reply 71 of 111
    Damn, what a sexy piece of machinery. Too bad it comes at no advantage to the MacBook. If you couldn't carry 13.3" before, the MBA doesn't change that, and that is its fatal flaw.

This is the Cube 2.0. Really damn sexy, but before its time.

Someday all laptops will be like this, not because people are pushing for small and light, but because components will continue to shrink. In five years, this style of computer will probably be looked upon as a standard design, but again, just by today's standards, it is not an ultra-portable.

Thanks for helping nobody, Apple.

EDIT: By the way, I wanted to say "Welcome back to curviness, Apple." I've missed your sexy designs. I haven't been this impressed with your design prowess since the Cube. Everything since then has just been lack-lustre. Can we expect similar revamping in the MB and MBP? The MB especially is looking a little dated...

-Clive
  • Reply 72 of 111
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Here we go...

Closed system, users can not change battery, memory or hard drive.

I am suing apple for 10 million dollars for it not being user accessible and they don't have it in bold face print right in front in ALL of there advertising.

You think I am kidding... I am not.

With in 6 months it will happen and heaven forbid there is any kind of problem with any part in it.

Lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Here we go...

[$10M lawsuit jargon]

All of Apple's computers are closed systems. So what? You cannot user-replace the hard drive in any of their iMacs (officially). So what? You can't change the HDD or RAM in the Mac Mini. So what?

Unless Apple has a monopoly on the PC industry (which it doesn't, by the way) then its closed system isn't illegal in the US. So get over it.

HERE'S THE THING THOUGH:

I agree with you that Apple is selfish and fails to give its customers choice. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do about it is complain to Apple or boycott their products.

Apple did not personally afflict you, or take away your rights. There is no lawsuit.

-Clive
  • Reply 74 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

The only prob is school goes back feb 5 and my PB is screwed and unusable.

I usualy carry around three bags and getting a MBA would reduce that to 2.

One question i had was if i plug in a usb external hdd and plug i firewire camera into that will it apear in imovie / final cut? I know it works with i firwire hard drive.

Thanks

You could also get a USB to Firewire cable (though they're not cheap) and input your camera data that way.

Also remember, you will have a very unique computer if you go with the MBA for at least a year. Sometimes it's nice to be the "first kid on the block."
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

FAIL.

Compare against other ultraportables, the price is competitive.

you brought up one good point.. i dont know how to classify this laptop.. is it ultra portable (13.3 inch is not an ultra portable.. i dont think..)? definitely not a regular laptop (since its lighter than any other regular laptop)...
  • Reply 76 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Here we go...

I am suing apple for 10 million dollars for it not being user accessible and they don't have it in bold face print right in front in ALL of there advertising.

You think I am kidding... I am not.

With in 6 months it will happen and heaven forbid there is any kind of problem with any part in it.

Lawyers are going to have a field day with this one.

you know.. you have a choice of not buying the product.. its like saying you are suing sony because their blu ray cannot play HD-DVD

besides you can always take the laptop apart and change the battery yourself. its not like the battery is soldered to the motherboard... (that would be dangerous...)
  • Reply 77 of 111
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

i dont know about that.. but it does mean that you cannot use 2 batteries for a long trip....

Think of it as a business opportunity. Make an external battery that hooks up via the AC adapter port. Of course, there's the little problem of Apple's proprietary and patent-protected Magsafe connector.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I think the laptop is actually pretty good design. There are a few things here or there.

I think it would work perfect for my senario and if they release that iMac like docking stations from those patents that would the holy grail for myself.

That aside, my point is simply.

1. There will be someone out there that will for some reason want to upgrade the memory and will soon find out that it is not upgradeable and in-fact it is soldiered on the mother board. So there response will be file a class-action (any body can file a suit for any reason now weather it will be tossed is another story).

2. My battery is failing after just a year and half or something like that and I cant replace it. I am suing because I have to take it to apple and I have to leave it and I don't have my computer and they want to charge me for a loner (Heard that one before) Whaaaaaaaaaaa.

I personally think it is stupid and will never win however the suing will come.

Hell apple gets sued on a monthly basis it seems like now.
  • Reply 79 of 111
    An external battery exists which works perfect with current MacBooks and MacBook Pros. See http://www.batterygeek.net for details. (I have no business interest here, but I'm using one of their batteries and are very satisfied.) Of course the battery weighs more than the MacBook Air, but on long flights you drop the battery in the seat pocket and enjoy 10++ hours of juice.

But one thing is stunning me: Given that the MacBook Air is aimed at travelers, does it really miss a Kensington Lock slot? I couldn't find one on any photo....

Q-chan
  • Reply 80 of 111
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is a huge border around the screen to help with rigidity. There is practically no space between the aluminum and the backside of the screen. The only place to add stiffness if around the screen. Add to that the new led backlighting. Since the circuitry cannot be added to the back of the screen, you must line up the modules all around it and pipe the light to the back of the LCD.