MacBook Air SuperDrive, for Air only?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I really like the fact that apple came out with it's own portable/detached CD/DVD superdrive.

I also like that it's cheaper than the Lacie drive.

But im concerned because under the system requirements it says MacBook Air Computer, does this mean i can't use it on my g4 powerbook?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...10EED#overview

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Nope its not for the airbook only. Its with anything with time machine. I guess whatever hardware the OS is running on has to have wireless as well.

EDIT: Oh wait. I thought you meant the time capsule. Well since you have to hook this new superdrive up with a usb plug I don't see why other machines can't use it as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Well since you have to hook this new superdrive up with a usb plug I don't see why other machines can't use it as well.

thats what i figured, I guess theres only one way to find out...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Well since you have to hook this new superdrive up with a usb plug I don't see why other machines can't use it as well.

Because the Apple Store lists the system requirements as "MacBook Air computer"
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I noticed that too. I expect that even if it doesn't work with other computers out of the box, someone will write a third-party driver. Or find some way to get it out of the MacBook Air
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The reason it says that is Apple doesn't want people buying them up so that MacBook Air people will have enough for them to purchase...

There are plenty of external USB drives out there for even $30 at some stores... Just get a cheep one.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

The reason it says that is Apple doesn't want people buying them up so that MacBook Air people will have enough for them to purchase...

There are plenty of external USB drives out there for even $30 at some stores... Just get a cheep one.

USB Superdrive? Compatible with iDVD? Pont me the way, bro!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Wonder if it would work in the USB port of a TimeCapsule?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I have been wondering the same thing, as it would make life at home so much simpler, were I can connect the SD to the AE's or TC's, USB Port and be able to read optical media. Than unplug it, and carry it with me on trips were I think I need an optical drive. Let me know if you find out!