iPod touch 1.1.3 upgrade issue

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

Im from the UK and as soon as Steve Jobs stepped off the stage I rushed over to iTunes to upgrade my iPod touch to 1.1.3.

First I was prompted to install iTunes 7.6 which I did (along with Quicktime 7.4).

I then purchased the 1.1.3 through the iTunes Store for £12.99 and the 165.5MB download started. Once done the usual pop up saying:

"Your iPod has been updated, and is restarting. Please leave your iPod connected. It will appear in the iTunes window after it restarts."

No problem there. My iPod appears and syncs. I then disconnect and cant wait to see Mail, Maps, Notes etc. on the home screen. But this is what appeared:

As you can see all that has changed is the dock which now looks the same as the iPhone. But there is no other apps visible. I looked in settings to see if they needed setting up but nothing had changed there either. I clicked on General>About and the version I have is 1.1.3 (4A93).

My iPod touch should look like this:

So where's the apps I have just paid for?

Thanks,

Shaun

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    same thing here....i updated to 1.1.3 then bought the upgrade which told me to plug the ipod back in and clikc sync. well i did that and NADA. where the hell is my 20 dollar programs???
  • Reply 2 of 33
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tollerton View Post

Im from the UK and as soon as Steve Jobs stepped off the stage I rushed over to iTunes to upgrade my iPod touch to 1.1.3.

First I was prompted to install iTunes 7.6 which I did (along with Quicktime 7.4).

I then purchased the 1.1.3 through the iTunes Store for £12.99 and the 165.5MB download started. Once done the usual pop up saying:

"Your iPod has been updated, and is restarting. Please leave your iPod connected. It will appear in the iTunes window after it restarts."

1.1.3 does not have the apps.

1.1.3 is free and available from the Summary page in iTunes.

My guess is that you have updated to 1.1.3 but still not downloaded and installed the software upgrade.

Try and click on this and download the software upgrade:

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...uchLandingPage

Btw. on the Summary page it should say:

Software version: 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade)

If the software has been installed.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    downloaded and paid for...still not working for me
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

1.1.3 does not have the apps.

1.1.3 is free and available from the Summary page in iTunes.

My guess is that you have updated to 1.1.3 but still not downloaded and installed the software upgrade.

Try and click on this and download the software upgrade:

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...uchLandingPage

Btw. on the Summary page it should say:

Software version: 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade)

If the software has been installed.

Thanks for your reply JLL. That makes perfect sense.

Even if the 165.5MB download from before was the standard 1.1.3 then why did I pay for it? Here is the download window aswell which I saw after paying the charge and my iTunes Store receipt:

I did what you said anyway JLL and headed over to the iTunes store (via your link) which takes you right to the iPod January Update purchase page. I click on Go To Software Upgrade but I have to purchase again and re-enter my account password. I obviously dont want to pay twice for this upgrade, so the option for me seems to be to enter my account password anyway risking being charged twice but successfully recieve the upgrade. Then head to my local Apple Store and ask for my original £12.99 back. Or hopefully when I click to purchase again iTunes will recognise my purchase and not charge me twice and still download the upgrade.

Whatever has happened Apple should have made this a bit more streamlined, like there should have been a warning to download 1.1.3 before upgrading to 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade) as it's a bit confusing.

So should I risk paying twice? Or pay twice and attempt to get a refund?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Thanks for your reply JLL. That makes perfect sense.

Even if the 165.5MB download from before was the standard 1.1.3 then why did I pay for it? Here is the download window aswell which I saw after paying the charge and my iTunes Store receipt:

I did what you said anyway JLL and headed over to the iTunes store (via your link) which takes you right to the iPod January Update purchase page. I click on Go To Software Upgrade but I have to purchase again and re-enter my account password. I obviously dont want to pay twice for this upgrade, so the option for me seems to be to enter my account password anyway risking being charged twice but successfully recieve the upgrade. Then head to my local Apple Store and ask for my original £12.99 back. Or hopefully when I click to purchase again iTunes will recognise my purchase and not charge me twice and still download the upgrade.

Whatever has happened Apple should have made this a bit more streamlined, like there should have been a warning to download 1.1.3 before upgrading to 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade) as it's a bit confusing.

So should I risk paying twice? Or pay twice and attempt to get a refund?

Sit tight and start hassling the apple help desk. Dont fork over good cash again.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    this has been the most assbackwards update ever! im soo pissed right now!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I have booked in to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store tomorrow morning (currently 01:19am in UK) so I will discuss this issue with them then and post the results right back here.

For those about to buy the new iPod touch upgrade make sure you do the following in order:
    • Download the regular free 1.1.3 update

• Purchase the $19.99 software upgrade

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

I have booked in to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store tomorrow morning (currently 01:19am in UK) so I will discuss this issue with them then and post the results right back here.

For those about to buy the new iPod touch upgrade make sure you do the following in order:
    • Download the regular free 1.1.3 update

• Purchase the $19.99 software upgrade

just found out I was charged twice and it still won't dl to my laptop
  • Reply 9 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I didn't pay anything - just clicked "update software" in iTunes 7.5, and it updated my iPod to 1.1.3. However, it's not doing the jiggle-rearrange thing.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I didn't pay anything - just clicked "update software" in iTunes 7.5, and it updated my iPod to 1.1.3. However, it's not doing the jiggle-rearrange thing.

Yea which means you've got the regular update, but not the upgrade.

You only need iTunes 7.6 for movie rentals.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Technically the apps are included in the 1.1.3 update, and the Software Ugrade only downloads an enabler.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Oh good, so that means I don't have to download *another* 165.5MB? Thank god, that would have killed my internet.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    The Apple Store Geniuses were unable to help with the 1.1.3 issue. The staff member I talked to didnt even manage to see the Apple keynote so wasnt very familiar with the new upgrade, but he did get some help from other staff and they all agreed the best solution was to head over to the iTunes Support page and send your problem to the Support Agents.

To do this head over to this URL, fill in the problem at the bottom of the page and you'll receive contact from Apple within 48 hours:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itun...oubleshooting/

Quote:

Thank you

Thank you for submitting your question to Apple. We respond to requests in the order they are received, and will contact you within 48 hours.

• Reply 14 of 33
    Two ways to fix this problem

1. Authorize your computer again and then try to sync with iTunes.

if that does not do the trick then

2. Set the iPod touch to auto sync (yes this will reset and erase data from the iPod so back up first!!!)

This did the trick for me so hope it works for you.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    i just received an email from apple support stating i was receiving a full refund and they'd get back to me when they had a fix. apparently its happening to alot of touch users and apple is working on it.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

i just received an email from apple support stating i was receiving a full refund and they'd get back to me when they had a fix. apparently its happening to alot of touch users and apple is working on it.

I would be happy with receiving a full refund, but I hope it will happen soon as im eager to get the new software upgrade!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    your telling me...1.1.3 did NOTHING except change the bottom menu bar which i dont even like. i think the older style looked better. and i keep hearing something about lyrics but i dont see a way to access them anywhere.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    did anyone try a hard reset of the phone? (hold both buttons). I'm probably way off here, but...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

your telling me...1.1.3 did NOTHING except change the bottom menu bar which i dont even like. i think the older style looked better. and i keep hearing something about lyrics but i dont see a way to access them anywhere.

As far as im aware you need to have purchased a song which supports lyrics from the iTunes Store, then during playback of the movie you can access an option to show the lyrics when the playback controls are visible.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Yes. The FREE 1.1.3, which is what iTunes tells you to upgrade to, does nothing except change the dock and the version number in your About page. The $20 PAID January Software Upgrade enables all of the iPhone apps plus the customizeable home screen and springboard bookmarks. Your iPod that hasn't been enabled will read Version: 1.1.3. The iPod that has the paid version installed will read Version: 1.1.3 (With Software Upgrade)

BTW: Auto-syncing worked for me with a restore to 1.1.3.