Copying mac jpg file to PC or server creates 2 files, HELP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi - I'm having an issue copying mac jpg files over to non mac systems (linux and pc). Whenever I copy or ftp the files, 2 files are created for every one file. I understand this is a mac thing so am not concerned about the why.

This causes issues for me as I need to delete these 'dummy' duplicate files in order for my web apps to read the files properly.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the best method (if any) of copying / ftp-ing jpg files from a mac without this duplication issue.

Thanks !!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _kaiser_ View Post

Hi - I'm having an issue copying mac jpg files over to non mac systems (linux and pc). Whenever I copy or ftp the files, 2 files are created for every one file. I understand this is a mac thing so am not concerned about the why.

This causes issues for me as I need to delete these 'dummy' duplicate files in order for my web apps to read the files properly.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the best method (if any) of copying / ftp-ing jpg files from a mac without this duplication issue.

Thanks !!

This should probably be under genius bar, and also can you give us some more information, what do you mean by creating 2 files? how are those dublicate files named? What program/s are you using to transfer these files?

It's not definitely a mac thing, because I don't think others get these dublicates when transfering files.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

This should probably be under genius bar, and also can you give us some more information, what do you mean by creating 2 files? how are those dublicate files named? What program/s are you using to transfer these files?

It's not definitely a mac thing, because I don't think others get these dublicates when transfering files.

Thanks guy - I'll repost. It is definitely a mac thing. It has to do with the way the files are constructed in 2 parts on the mac. Since I have show hidden files on my pc and the unix server I ftp to I can see these files that normally begin with something like ._filename.extension (i.e. ._image1.jpeg). I know there are programs for flattening files like quicktime movies but I'd like to know if there's an easier way for simple files like jpgs while ftp-ing.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks guy - I'll repost. It is definitely a mac thing. It has to do with the way the files are constructed in 2 parts on the mac. Since I have show hidden files on my pc and the unix server I ftp to I can see these files that normally begin with something like ._filename.extension (i.e. ._image1.jpeg). I know there are programs for flattening files like quicktime movies but I'd like to know if there's an easier way for simple files like jpgs while ftp-ing.

I most definitely don't have those hidden duplicate files in my pictures folder, do you use some specific program to handle your images, and what program do you use to ftp files around maybe one of them creates them for some odd reason?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

I most definitely don't have those hidden duplicate files in my pictures folder, do you use some specific program to handle your images, and what program do you use to ftp files around maybe one of them creates them for some odd reason?

These are unedited photos direct from the camera (Nikon D200 & S700) and ftp'd directly to the server or copied over (copy and paste) to a pc via a home network (i.e. copy and paste). Even editing with Aperture 1.5 or Nikon's Capture NX and then saving still produces these hidden fork files so modern OS X app or not it's still created. You may not see them because you have your views set to hide hidden files. On the mac you never see them period. They only become evident once you copy them over to another operating system.

It's a fork file system which mac operates under for file resourcing in its system. When you copy them over to a non mac OS they become evident and usually start with ".DS_", followed by the actual file name. If I view my folder via an ftp program (crushftp4 or ws_ftp, and others) on my web server (UNIX) from the service I belong to they don't show up. However if I view them via a web application that enables me to view hidden files they are there and my application which reads these file names into a database pics up these hidden files.

It's a known issue if you poke around on a search engine. Unfortunately not a whole lot of solutions to be found.

Fortunately, I was able to finally find an ftp product that gives one the choice of uploading this hidden file or not: Upload to FTP 1.5 It's an automator shareware product. Works great!!!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

These are unedited photos direct from the camera (Nikon D200 & S700) and ftp'd directly to the server or copied over (copy and paste) to a pc via a home network (i.e. copy and paste). Even editing with Aperture 1.5 or Nikon's Capture NX and then saving still produces these hidden fork files so modern OS X app or not it's still created. You may not see them because you have your views set to hide hidden files. On the mac you never see them period. They only become evident once you copy them over to another operating system.

It's a fork file system which mac operates under for file resourcing in its system. When you copy them over to a non mac OS they become evident and usually start with ".DS_", followed by the actual file name. If I view my folder via an ftp program (crushftp4 or ws_ftp, and others) on my web server (UNIX) from the service I belong to they don't show up. However if I view them via a web application that enables me to view hidden files they are there and my application which reads these file names into a database pics up these hidden files.

It's a known issue if you poke around on a search engine. Unfortunately not a whole lot of solutions to be found.

Fortunately, I was able to finally find an ftp product that gives one the choice of uploading this hidden file or not: Upload to FTP 1.5 It's an automator shareware product. Works great!!!

AFAIK you've got it wrong. under the Mac File system, the resource fork is part of the same file. they are not two separate files. If the resource fork is included in the file you transfer to your server, it can be handled in one of three ways: Encode the file into a filetype that includes the resource fork, like Mac Binary; discard the resource fork; or seaparate the (single) file into two files, one of which is the resource fork and one of which is the data fork.

Your FTP programs, on either the client side or the server side or both, are set up to separate the file into two. You can easily set them up (especially easy to do on the client side) to discard the resource fork, which is obviously what you want to do.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Here: This page says exactly what I just did, and proves that my "AFAIK" was 100% correct, even though I'm no expert on this.

http://osdir.com/ml/editors.bbedit.g.../msg00005.html
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Here: This page says exactly what I just did, and proves that my "AFAIK" was 100% correct, even though I'm no expert on this.

http://osdir.com/ml/editors.bbedit.g.../msg00005.html

Tonton - we're essentially saying the same thing so irregardless of your "AFAIK" or my erroneous statement in saying that it's two files - we're still saying the same thing (on the MAC it's one file but on other O/S's it's stripped into two files). The fact is that this resource fork is a pain in the you know what - basta!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Tonton - we're essentially saying the same thing so irregardless of your "AFAIK" or my erroneous statement in saying that it's two files - we're still saying the same thing (on the MAC it's one file but on other O/S's it's stripped into two files). The fact is that this resource fork is a pain in the you know what - basta!

I disagree. Windows is deprived of some very basic functionality in that it doesn't really support any kind of file metadata. It's a pain to always have to delete the "." files, but on the other hand the metadata is very useful on the mac.

Also, in leopard the metadata is bundled into a folder that, when transferred to a PC, just shows up as "MACOSX" or something to the tune of that. Much easier to deal with.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Are you asking how to solve he problem (which I explained) or are you trolling with a "bash Mac" post?

Let me post it here.

To solve your problem, you need to configure your FTP client to strip the resource fork for images, or use a different client that does this.

An argument over which system is better is for another thread.