High-quality photos and notes on Apple's new MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

This is the Cube 2.0. Really damn sexy, but before its time.

The cube wasn't a portable. This is.

I can see why the extra cost for miniaturization with the cube didn't fly. I don't see this as the same thing at all.

There are tons of people who travel constantly and mainly use their computers for reading and typing text, and looking at images. Saving space and weight is a huge deal.

The only complaint I have about it is that you can't get it with more than 2 gigs of ram.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

There are tons of people who travel constantly and mainly use their computers for reading and typing text, and looking at images. Saving space and weight is a huge deal.

Except the MBA has only shrunk in the Z-dimension... not in the dimensions that matter most: the X & Y. Even if it's as thin as a piece of paper, if it has a 13.3" diagonal, it still will be too big for a lot of people.

That was the problem with the Cube. It cut the wrong fat. This will be the MBA's undoing.

If 13.3" was too big before, the MBA didn't change that.

-Clive
  • Reply 83 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Except the MBA has only shrunk in the Z-dimension... not in the dimensions that matter most: the X & Y. Even if it's as thin as a piece of paper, if it has a 13.3" diagonal, it still will be too big for a lot of people.

That was the problem with the Cube. It cut the wrong fat. This will be the MBA's undoing.

Why is the X & Y the most important? What if the size issue really was mostly the Z? Or the weight? Or the ability to stuff more papers in the briefcase? X & Y won't affect the number of papers you can stuff.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Anyone been able to try the keyboard? I heard someone (who I don't think had used it) complain about the "chicklet" keyboard. That's BS, right? I wonder how it compares to the other current Apple offerings.
  • Reply 85 of 111
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

-Clive

Dear Clive, I am sorry to sound like your dad but as a daily 12" powerbook user I can only tell you that anything smaller than 13,3" is way too small to have a pleasant workflow (despite spaces). It's like wearing tight underpants all day long, it's sexy but doesn't feel like
  • Reply 86 of 111
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I finally looked at the pictures (which aren't bad BTW; quit your whining you DoF perfectionists), and I noticed that it looks like the case may be exceptionally easy to open. I've had to open my 12" PB maybe a half dozen times to diagnose and swap out a failing hard drive and it was a pain in the ass. The MBA on the other hand has 8 or 10 exposed screws around the outside of the bottom of the case. I'm hoping that means eliminating the ugly pop-off-the-keyboard steps to get inside.

More importantly, it's possible that the battery and hard drive are basically 8 or 10 screws away from access. So a year from now when cheap higher-volumes drives are available it might not cost an arm and a leg (or nerves of steel) to upgrade.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Now that the MacBook Air is released, it's the next MacBook Pro that will REALLY get me excited. Imagine what could be updated:

New, larger touchpad with gestures.

New keyboard to update with all other products.

New video card?

45nm processors?

Larger hard drives with SSD option?

Maybe even the option to ditch the optical drive for a 2nd HD? (Remote disk really proves we don't use DVD drives often anyway)

Blu-ray drives?

Argh!

Did you really have to o that?! Now I'm getting all giddy about the nest MBP, too: this would be one sweet machine, even without the SSD and second HD options.

However, the MBA is rather tempting too... a nicely beefy Mac Pro with an MBA as mobile Ersatz computer... yum!
  • Reply 88 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

(which aren't bad BTW; quit your whining you DoF perfectionists),

In that case, your anti-whining is whining too.

It's not about doing a perfect job, I'm don't think that the technique used is anything but misapplied and way overdone, as in doing DOF for its own sake rather than to good artistic effect.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why is the X & Y the most important? What if the size issue really was mostly the Z? Or the weight? Or the ability to stuff more papers in the briefcase? X & Y won't affect the number of papers you can stuff.

I second this notion.

Once a device is too big to fit into your pocket, where do you put it? Seems like the vast majority of people put it in carry-on luggage, a backpack, or a briefcase.

For these types of toating, weight and the z dimension are indeed the most critical. How may briefcases, backpacks, and carry-ons have I seen that are incapable of fitting the MBA's x and y? None that I can recall.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Why is the X & Y the most important?

Well, the ridiculously tiny fold-down trays you encounter on many planes, trains, and buses, for starters.

A pretty terrible platform to work on if your laptop's footprint is too big.

• Reply 91 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Well, the ridiculously tiny fold-down trays you encounter on many planes, trains, and buses, for starters.

A pretty terrible platform to work on if your laptop's footprint is too big.

I had flown one round trip last year, in economy class, and that wasn't a problem.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    Quote:

What kind of bag would someone have that wouldn't fit something 9 by 13 inches? I can't imagine a backpack or briefcase that would be too small for this. Do you really think people want a laptop that fits in a purse? Especially when doing that means a smaller screen? I would think that out of all possible sacrifices, giving up a decent size screen would be the wrong "fat" to cut, it's a major usability issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Anyone been able to try the keyboard? I heard someone (who I don't think had used it) complain about the "chicklet" keyboard. That's BS, right? I wonder how it compares to the other current Apple offerings.

Isn't that the exact same keyboard as the macbook?
  • Reply 93 of 111
    I might just be adding fire to the flame here, but, I've been reading a lot, and thinking a lot, and these are my two cents.

Everyone has this preconceived notion that an ultraportable is a computer that is really just as tiny as possible, 11 or even 10 inches with a small keyboard and not much visual space. For some reason, everyone fell in to the belief that this was the only way to handle a ultraportable. The way that I look at it, this is one way to look at an ultraportable, the macbook air is another. You can carry this computer around as if it were just another pad of paper. It has a full keyboard, a bright screen so you don't have to strain your eyes, or worry about making mistakes like some of us do with small fingers. Apple got rid of all the things that you don't need on the move, and sure they "replaced" them with things that you are going to have to buy through them, but there is still a legit replacement.

Apple took the idea of an ultraportable and took it in a new direction, this thing really is barebones... but it isn't barebones in the factor of convenience. Think about what this computer will be used for: taking notes, surfing the web, watching an occasional show or movie that you can keep on the harddrive, ichatting, video chatting, possible editing. You can do all of those on the move now, and if you want you can keep that and plenty of other things in your bag because of how light it is and how well it fits with everything else. The way I see it is though, is that now you can do it comfortably. Apple has started to offer some of the best keyboards around, and the fact that they are putting it in to now one of the smallest computers just shows how much they think about both form factor and convenience.

I'm not sold on this computer at all yet, I will have to see it in the store for myself and see if it is worth the purchase, but something this tiny, and it is truly tiny, is exactly what I was looking for. And seeing that it has a monitor as bright and as skinny as that gives an advantage in my eyes, being one that values screen space.

Long story short, looking at what ultraportables have done before the macbook air, Apple is not trying to compete against the market, yet pushing it in a whole new direction, and I for one like it.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    Quote:

Isn't that the exact same keyboard as the macbook?

Other than the Air has a backlit screen, MB doesn't, it does look the same.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Quote:

I had flown one round trip last year, in economy class, and that wasn't a problem.

Well, that's you. Other folks' mileage can, and does, vary.

The funny thing? I bet ya that if the MBA had a true subnotebook footprint, everyone would be going on and on about how wonderful that is, instead of insisting that the current not-so-small footprint 'isn't an issue'.

Apologists, unite!!!

The MBA is nice, and I like it, but it doesn't seem to be a true subnotebook.

• Reply 96 of 111
    Quote:

Well, that's you. Other folks' mileage can, and does, vary.

The funny thing? I bet ya that if the MBA had a true subnotebook footprint, everyone would be going on and on about how wonderful that is, instead of insisting that the current not-so-small footprint 'isn't an issue'.

But even if it is wider than the tray, how is it really a problem? The tray is flat with maybe a tiny lip on the edge, the notebook is flat, even if it extends over the sides of the tray, I don't see how it's a big deal. I can see it being a big deal if it's wider than the seat, but it's not nearly that wide. The height and depth of the MBAir is smaller than the notebook that I used too.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    Quote:

But even if it is wider than the tray, how is it really a problem? The tray is flat with maybe a tiny lip on the edge, the notebook is flat, even if it extends over the sides of the tray, I don't see how it's a big deal. I can see it being a big deal if it's wider than the seat, but it's not nearly that wide. The height and depth of the MBAir is smaller than the notebook that I used too.

Well, for one thing, if its significantly wider than the tray, then the rubber feet you find on most laptops don't get a chance to engage, so the thing slippy-slides all around while the plain/train/bus is moving and/or cornering. It also just feels less secure.

Additionally, there may not be enough room on some trays for a medium or large footprint notebook to be open with the screen set at an angle for optimum viewing (the seatback of the seat ahead of you may be too close). So you sometimes end up with the laptop in, well, your lap, as you hunch over for hours on end like a troll. Not so great for the neck and back.

Seriously Jeff, it isn't really news that some travellers prefer small-footprint notebooks. There are sound reasons for it. It really depends on what your traveling accommodations are like.

• Reply 98 of 111
    Quote:

Basically you're saying it's bad because it's not like every other True Subnotebook you've seen.

So what?

It's really small and light, which is a good thing. Would it really be that much better if it had a smaller (harder to read) screen and worse keyboard?

Here's a question I haven't seen asked anywhere so far...so how HOT does the thing run? Since it's super light, if it ran fairly cool it might be comfortable to actually have in your lap.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    i dont know about you guys over in america but in australia the MBA will definantly fit on airline table thingies. I completely agree that the footprint is by far not the most important thing when it comes to sub-notebooks. weight in my oppinion is for more of an issue. Also I bet my left nut that if this thing had a 11" display you would all be complaining that you couldnt read it.

With every product ever created there is going to be people that hate it, its just how things work. IF YOU THINK THAT ITS ONE INCH TO WIDE DONT BUY IT. IT DOSNT MEAN THAT IT IS USELESS!!
  • Reply 100 of 111
    Quote:

Basically you're saying it's bad because it's not like every other True Subnotebook you've seen.

Wow. How do you get that I'm saying it's "bad" from:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

That makes about as much sense as the following: