Apple claims 6 percent US marketshare for holiday 2007

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While few companies have yet to produce their official shipment numbers, estimates generated by the two research firms have Apple shipping between 1.04 and 1.05 million Macs in the US for the last three months of the past year, resulting in a fourth-place spot for the computer maker and growth of anywhere between 28 percent (Gartner) and 30.9 percent (IDC) over the same period in 2006.

The results should net Apple anywhere between 5.7 and 6.1 percent of the market in the region depending on whether IDC or Gartner is used to collect the data. However, both companies are clear as to the gain: in each case, Apple's share of the PC business is believed to have snapped up a full percentage point more of the entire US market between the same periods in 2006 and 2007.

The other, Windows-based computer designers produced more modest results, according to the two studies. Both agree that Dell successfully turned around its results to grow by about 15 percent and maintain a small lead over HP. The now combined Acer and Gateway jointly occupied the third-place position with about 9 percent.

Gartner fourth quarter 2007 results (courtesy of Gartner).

IDC also took the extra step of tallying year-long results in its analysis and believes that Apple climbed higher still over the year. At third place, the Cupertino, California-based company will have shipped about 5.8 percent of the market's computers for 2007, or just short of 4.1 milliion Macs.

On a worldwide basis, Apple once again did not gain enough marketshare to register in the top five, which have Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, and Toshiba occupying the leading spots.

Neither Gartner nor IDC has commented on the Mac maker's performance, though their figures reveal a strong PC market overall in which Apple had "another good quarter," according to Gartner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Way to go Dell! I would have though HP would be #1 by now.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I thought the analysts were predicting a 2 million Mac quarter ?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I have no idea how this can jibe with PiperJaffs estimates of 2.3 mil. He cant be that wrong. I checked and the stays on this article claim to include "mobiles" but I have to think these are just imac and mac pro numbers.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

I have no idea how this can jibe with PiperJaffs estimates of 2.3 mil. He cant be that wrong. I checked and the stays on this article claim to include "mobiles" but I have to think these are just imac and mac pro numbers.

The just-over-1 million estimates are for the U.S. only. The over 2 million estimates are for total world-wide shipments.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

These are North America only numbers.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    well guess North American sales explains it somewhat. I am surprised that less than half of their unit sales are from the US. The vast majority of their retail is US. Guess they must clean up with their foreign Apple.com webstores.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Thanks for specifying US vs worldwide market share. That is important to know.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    The more I read about "market share" numbers, the more confused I get: are they talking about US or non-US or both; about this quarter/this year or cumulative (if so, for how many years); laptops or desktops or both; from this company or that; and so on.

These point estimates are FUD to the point of being completely meaningless. The only comparisons that make any sense at all are those over time, using the same methodology and definitions, from the same company.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    AAPL is getting soundly bodyslammed today. Man, oh, man!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, how bout that.

I was thinking that if I had $$ it would be nice to drop some on AAPL when it got down to the 170s. A bargain at that, I thought. So at 159 I guess it is a steal!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here are the 3-day -- i.e., day before, day of, and day after -- announcement effects for AAPL (after adjusting for the movement on the S&P):

2007 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: +12.08%

2008 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: -7.67%

The market is underwhelmed. We can hope that the market is wrong, but "man, oh, man" is right.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here are the 3-day -- i.e., day before, day of, and day after -- announcement effects for AAPL (after adjusting for the movement on the S&P):

The market is underwhelmed. We can hope that the market is wrong, but "man, oh, man" is right.

You can't really make this comparison. All stocks have just been dropping and dropping like crazy.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I thought the analysts were predicting a 2 million Mac quarter ?

This is US sales. Worldwide sales will be larger. They are also likely to be conservative.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

The market is down because of far greater issues than Apple. Apple may have gone down a few points on its own, but was pulled down by the mortgage crisis, the credit crunch, and the looming recession.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Yes, SJ's expo is not the reason AAPLs stock has been jumping ship. Since last Friday, the whole stock market has been affected by more mortgage companies dumping bad credit... i.e. Meryll Lynch, Citibank, Country Wide to name the few that have affected the stock market. Sorry to say, but recession is practically looking unavoidable to financial experts. And not to mention oil prices rising.

I am really happy to see Apple's market share rising... this is good news in all of this....YEH!

Keep up the innovation Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You can't really make this comparison. All stocks have just been dropping and dropping like crazy.

Umm..... (with apologies to Wilco).... surely, you understand what I meant by "after adjusting for the movement on the S&P?"

Just in case you didn't (since I probably didn't state that well), here's the raw data for the 3-day excess return around 'Day 0', the day of SJ's speech (and, I hope you understand that SJ's speech has nothing whatsoever to do with the S&P, for heaven's sake; it is standard practice any such analysis to isolate a firm-specific -- in this case AAPL-specific - effect by subtracting from it the market movement; one can also get more complicated than this by adjusting for risk factors, but that would be unnecessary):

AAPL, 2007 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: +12.11%

S&P500, 2007 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: +0.03%

=> Net AAPL 2007 Excess return = +12.08%

AAPL, 2008 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: -10.70%

S&P500, 2008 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: -3.03%

=> Net AAPL 2008 Excess return = -7.07%

(If you'd like me to show you the same calculation with the Wilshire 5000 index instead of the S&P500, I'd be happy to: Let's just say that I'd bet a bottle of 2003 Chateau Petrus that the net announcement effect will be close to identical.)
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Umm..... (with apologies to Wilco).... surely, you understand what I meant by "after adjusting for the S&P?"

Just in case you didn't, here's the raw data:

AAPL, 2007 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: +12.11%

S&P500, 2007 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: +0.03%

=> Net AAPL 2007 Excess return = +12.08%

AAPL, 2008 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: -10.70%

S&P500, 2008 MWSF Jobs' Keynote Speech: -3.03%

=> Net AAPL 2008 Excess return = -7.07%

(If you'd like me to show you the same calculation with the Wilshire 5000 index instead of the S&P500, I'd be happy to: Let's just say that I'd bet a bottle of 2003 Chateau Petrus that the net announcement effect will be close to identical.)

You know that there's a lot of coincidence in the timing here.

There was pull to the upside for Apple's stock. But the tremendous drag of the market pulled it down. With Intel's good (great) sales and earnings report, the stock got dragged down for two reasons.

One was that they were expecting even better numbers. The recession possibilities has clouded the near future.

Apple is mostly a consumer company. Intel's drop will be reflected here as well.

Citicorp's 10 point slide because of its $10 billion loss pulled the market down with it, and Apple again followed.

With a credit crunch, and people losing their homes in large numbers, ther may not be as much to spend on secondary items such as Apple's products. Or the products of other consumer companies.

We'll see how Apple's sales and earnings look in a few days.

If they are in line with expectations, then that will be just barely ok, by todays standards.

But if they manage to beat expectations again, during a holiday season with disappointing sales, Apple's stock will do well.

I also think that the broad decline in the markets will level off in the next few days. Though what will happen afterwards is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You know that there's a lot of coincidence in the timing here. etc etc

I edited my post quite a bit between the time you read it and I read your reply, since I realized that the problem may have been the way I was wording it.

May I please suggest you re-read. I think what I mean to say is clearer now. (Sorry - I guess I should have been more careful the first time I posted).
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

I edited my post quite a bit between the time you read it and I read your reply, since I realized that the problem may have been the way I was wording it.

May I please suggest you re-read. I think what I mean to say is clearer now. (Sorry - I guess I should have been more careful the first time I posted).

I see where you're going with that. I'm not a strict "by the numbers" person. My broker is always hassling me about the "technicals".
  • Reply 20 of 34
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member