iPod touch 1.1.3 upgrade issue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Yes. The FREE 1.1.3, which is what iTunes tells you to upgrade to, does nothing except change the dock and the version number in your About page. The $20 PAID January Software Upgrade enables all of the iPhone apps plus the customizeable home screen and springboard bookmarks. Your iPod that hasn't been enabled will read Version: 1.1.3. The iPod that has the paid version installed will read Version: 1.1.3 (With Software Upgrade)

BTW: Auto-syncing worked for me with a restore to 1.1.3.

damn i guess ill be waiting till next week. im on vacation and no way im loosing everything on my ipod. that would be the worst flight home.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    FYI the enabler is installed in ~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications and is tied to your iTunes account so make sure that the Mac is authorized.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    By the way, I have tried restoring my iPod but it still doesnt know that I have purchased the upgrade. So im just waiting for Apple to get back to me now...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

FYI the enabler is installed in ~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications and is tied to your iTunes account so make sure that the Mac is authorized.

How can I make sure the folder is tied to my iTunes account?

I found the Touch App Pack file and the 165.5MB 1.1.3 file where you said. I doubled clicked each of them and they just bring me to the iPod summary page in iTunes and nothing else happens.

• Reply 25 of 33
    Update: If you DOWNGRADED your iPod (or upgraded after a downgrade, I don't remember which step actually does this), it will delete the Mobile Applications folder, thus deleting the receipt that you've purchased it.

If you have the folder, then you should restore the iPod Touch that has been already upgraded to 1.1.3. Back up that folder just in case it gets deleted once you get to this point, then restore it.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Update: If you DOWNGRADED your iPod (or upgraded after a downgrade, I don't remember which step actually does this), it will delete the Mobile Applications folder, thus deleting the receipt that you've purchased it.

If you have the folder, then you should restore the iPod Touch that has been already upgraded to 1.1.3. Back up that folder just in case it gets deleted once you get to this point, then restore it.

Sorry I dont understand what you mean. I have never downgraded. Only upgraded. Are you saying to somehow downgrade to 1.1.2, then upgrade back to 1.1.3? My Mobile Applications folder shows the Applications Pack still which is visible in my last post.
  • Reply 27 of 33

Yes, I have fixed it! Here's what you have to do:
    • Restore

• Turn off 'Manually manage music and videos'

• Make sure 'Sync only checked songs and videos' is unchecked

• Sync

The problem seemed to be having 'Manually manage songs and videos' turned on. Once you have the apps you can go back to manually managing your content. Im soo pleased!

If I havent made myself clear you can find more here:

http://www.markdrew.co.uk/blog/index...oftware-Update
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Otherwise known as "Auto-sync", which is what we've been saying.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    this cant be the only way...im headed to the genius bar manana to see whats up. ill let you guys know what i find out.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I guess I'm one of the few people that encountered no problems with upgrading, basically the instant I accepted the license agreement for the software my iPod moved to the homescreen and displayed the new apps.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I had problems with the installation of the new apps as well, and, once again, Apple Japan was no help. I ordered the software at 4:30 am, not long after the keynote finished. Nothing got installed and so I was up a creek until 9:00 when the Call Center opened. I called them at 10:30 and they didn't even know anything had been released. I repeated that Steve Jobs released new apps for the iPod Touch at MWSF, which led the rep to ask, "Were the apps you tried to install an Apple product?" . I really, really, really don't know why I keep buying Apple products.

The Call Center, after 5 minutes of internal discussion, asked me to Restore the Touch but while waiting I decided to try turning off manual syning based based on feedback to Apple's boards.

One solution (which people above have been saying) but with a twist:

No need to restore!

Turning off manual sync did the trick for me; as I mainly use my pod to view photos and videos, this was no headache.

The next sync got everything up and running perfectly.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post

I guess I'm one of the few people that encountered no problems with upgrading, basically the instant I accepted the license agreement for the software my iPod moved to the homescreen and displayed the new apps.

You seem to be in the minority; this one has given plenty of people headaches. Apple really needs to test these things out before they release them to the average user, who will get rather upset.

Lots of people are complaining about the upgrade cost but I think they're nuts. These are new apps, not simple improvements on the existing ones. People should complain about the installation headache.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tollerton View Post

The Apple Store Geniuses were unable to help with the 1.1.3 issue. The staff member I talked to didnt even manage to see the Apple keynote so wasnt very familiar with the new upgrade, but he did get some help from other staff and they all agreed the best solution was to head over to the iTunes Support page and send your problem to the Support Agents.

To do this head over to this URL, fill in the problem at the bottom of the page and you'll receive contact from Apple within 48 hours:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/itun...oubleshooting/

This is the response I got from the 'Support Agents' today:

Quote:

Dear Shaun,

I'm sorry to hear that your update did not download. I have posted the

missing item to your account. Please follow these steps to download it:

1) Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes. It can be

downloaded free of charge from the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

Note: Installing the latest version of iTunes will not affect your

library or any items in your account that you haven't downloaded.

2) From the pull-down Store menu at the top, select Check for Purchases

(if you're unable to upgrade and are using iTunes 6 or earlier, you'll

find this option in the Advanced menu). If you can't find this option,

you can also click this link to Check for Purchases:

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...ckForPurchases

3) Enter your account name and password, then click the Check button.

The missing item should begin downloading and appear in your Purchased

playlist. If you receive an error message while downloading, try again

after turning off any firewall or web-accelerator software that you may

have installed. If the download process is interrupted for any reason,

it should resume once you reopen iTunes.

This article provides information about resuming interrupted downloads:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n93015

If you don't see the item in your iTunes Library, please include this

information in your response to this email:

- The name of your Internet service provider (ISP)

- The type of Internet connection (such as dial-up, cable modem, or

DSL)

- Any troubleshooting steps you may have taken

- Any error messages you may have received

I hope this helps. Thank you for using the iTunes Store.

Sincerely

Greg

iTunes Store Customer Support

I work Thur-Mon 7-4pm (Texas)

I havent followed these instructions as my iPod touch is now working anyway.