The Best FTP Client

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Transmit is fantastic. You can edit the html directly within transmit. I have never had a single problem with it.
  • Reply 102 of 135
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimini View Post

don't link the spam]

spam...just like your other two spam posts
  • Reply 103 of 135
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Try FireFTP it's a free extension to the FireFox web brower. I'm a freelance designer and often I'm working somewhere where I need to connect to an FTP. But the location does not have Fetch on the computer i'm working on. FireFTP gets me out of that mess every time. It may not be the prettiest but it works great and is easy to set up. Of course the best pate is that it's FREE! Of course making a donation to the developer is also an excelent idea.

FireFTP
  • Reply 104 of 135
    Transmit, one of the best FTP clients for Mac that I've seen. My second choice would be Captain FTP.
  • Reply 105 of 135
    I have 0 experiences with ftp's, but i'm looking for a program that i can send large files 700M to over 1Gig, can i do that with ftp? I'm working on a movie that i made when we were on holiday and i wanted to share it with my family who lives abroad. The movie is not yet ready, as i will be adding also lots of pictures and other stuff too, but i'm sure it will get closer to 2 Gigs, maybe even more.

I'm working on this movie with my brother who lives abroad, and sending a DVD back and forth cannot be the best solution? We're doing it together and changing/adding stuff all the time etc and then send it to the other to check it out and do some changes. Would i be able to do this with ftp?

If anybody has done something similar, please share your experiences.

Thanks!!
  • Reply 106 of 135
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    I have used Transmit for a long time. Before that it was Anarchie. But the latter became bloatware.
  • Reply 107 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

I have 0 experiences with ftp's, but i'm looking for a program that i can send large files 700M to over 1Gig, can i do that with ftp? I'm working on a movie that i made when we were on holiday and i wanted to share it with my family who lives abroad. The movie is not yet ready, as i will be adding also lots of pictures and other stuff too, but i'm sure it will get closer to 2 Gigs, maybe even more.

I'm working on this movie with my brother who lives abroad, and sending a DVD back and forth cannot be the best solution? We're doing it together and changing/adding stuff all the time etc and then send it to the other to check it out and do some changes. Would i be able to do this with ftp?

If anybody has done something similar, please share your experiences.

Thanks!!

FTP is not the right protocol for your purpose. You have to consider a couple things. 1. The end user must download it also so you need know if their connection speed is adequate. 2. FTP does not have a continue feature so if you accidently get disconnected at 99.99% done, you'll have to start all over with your transfer.

You may want to consider serving the movie over the internet so that it can be viewed in a browser, either QT of Flash would seem like likely candidates for delivering a movie. If you send your family a DVD by mail, they will probably get it sooner than you uploading by FTP and them downloading a gig of data, with questionable success at burning the DVD before watching it.

Just my 2 cents (US)
  • Reply 108 of 135
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I tell my students that the only stupid question is the one they DON'T ask. That being said, I must admit that my question might seem stupid to the members on this thread as you seem to know all about FTP. I have read the Wiki- definition about FTP, but I still don't understand when it would be used. How does it's usage differ from an email's usage?

The wiki- definition: FTP or File Transfer Protocol is used to transfer data from one computer to another over the Internet, or through a network
  • Reply 109 of 135
    Different from Email, FTP can send much larger files (e.g., > 4GB) and much more files in a reliable way. It is similar to samba (network neighbors).

I prefer CrossFTP client at google it Its size is small and supports a number of FTP/SFTP protocols as well as the synchronization. It also has free FTP server to start with.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    Why is this thread still stickied? Shouldn't FAQs be stickied? Important notices? I'm sure this question has been asked plenty of times, which would make it great for an FAQ.
  • Reply 111 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

2. FTP does not have a continue feature so if you accidently get disconnected at 99.99% done, you'll have to start all over with your transfer.

I use Cyberduck everyday and it lets me continue an interrupted transfer whether I am uploading or downloading.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Has anyone tried a MacFUSE SFTP solution? How is the speed and compatibility? I would just prefer Finder access anyway to SFTP instead of using a separate app.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Cyberduck works fine for me.
  • Reply 114 of 135
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Cyberduck if you want free. Transmit if you want to pay.
  • Reply 115 of 135
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Transmit is too clunky for me. I prefer the power and flexibility of Captain FPT. It uploads my files and web pages much faster and with fewer errors. I can directly copy data from one FTP to another without any problems. It's the best hands down.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    Another vote for CyberDuck, I use it daily for SFTP and it has never not worked.
  • Reply 117 of 135
    Fetch for myself, but I am always looking to broaden my skillz.
  • Reply 118 of 135
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angel203 View Post

Fetch for myself, but I am always looking to broaden my skillz.

Skillz, with a 'z'. Now that was skillful
  • Reply 119 of 135
    Transmit is my vote too but this app is worth checking out - especially for looks (of course it has the functionality as well), I think this is real cool.

www.extendmac.com - Flow
  • Reply 120 of 135
    Cool write up that many people will find useful!