MacBook Air Rev B?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, I realize this may be a bit premature, but I figure with all the back-and-forth I've been seeing throughout the day, why not start thinking about the next version of the MacBook Air.

What do you want to see?

What do you think we will see?

When do you think we'll see it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mynamehere View Post

So, I realize this may be a bit premature, but I figure with all the back-and-forth I've been seeing throughout the day, why not start thinking about the next version of the MacBook Air.

What do you want to see?

What do you think we will see?

When do you think we'll see it?

To be perfectly honest with you I don't want to see another Air in this price range. The whole concept is crap in my mind. To little included for the price and zip in the way of innovation.

If apple wants to redeem themselves they need to get a good tablet out on the market that is less than $500. That would be a device that has the functions of an iPod Touch, a larger screen, WiMax and a few other features. The funny thing is that the limited I/O supplied in the Air would have been suitable for this class of tablet. Bluetooth and one USB port would have been excellent.

Frankly I'm wondering if Apple has has some sort of collective mental breakdown with the release of the Air.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 52
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    after years of waiting for a true SUBnote, apple needed to make this thing with a smaller footprint. it boggles my mind that all the people who loved the 12 inch powerbook still cant get a decent replacement. the footprint of the air is exactly the same as the macbook. still too big to throw in a small purse or side bag.

what a waste
  • Reply 3 of 52
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Better hope it sells well, or there may not even be a Rev B
  • Reply 4 of 52
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    rev b needs to have

ethernet, firewire, small speakers, and the black lining around the screen like the imac.

then i'd be buying it.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Since MBA hardware itself wont cut it for MB users, its truly design for ultraportable (UPT) users. Problem is, UPT users want 12" instead of 13". Apple should just listen to what the people want cause from the way I see it, MBA is not a replacement or a better version of MB, its just design for certain people who need lightweight factor without the extra hardwares (Which make me think it doesnt need 13").

Anyway if the MBA is 12" then it will fit perfectly in Apple notebook line:

MBA - 12"

MB - 13"

MBP - 15"
  • Reply 6 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    sigh

This thread is a magnet for boo birds.

Newsflash

people that need something "really" small with be going to phones (iPhone anyone?)

Those that need more computing power than what a phone can offer generally want a decent screen size but weight is an issue.

How popular the MBA is depends on each individuals experience with Wifi in their daily travels. If you consistently stay in hotels with good Wifi then the wifi only connection isn't bad. If you have experience flakiness you better get a USB to Ethernet connection and pray.

As much as I respect the opinions both negative and positive I don't see they naysayers coming up with a lot of solid reasoning about why the MBA will be a failure. lightweight notebooks will always be a niche because they cost a premium.

But in all fairness my thoughts on Rev B would be

Removable battery just for peace of mind.

Dock connector (Dock adds the "missing" features like GigE, FW etc)
  • Reply 7 of 52
    - Firewire (400)

- Removable battery (although probably not going to happen)

- option for larger hard drive. Jobs said these were the same hard drives they had in the iPod Classics. If the iPod Classis goes up to 160GB, why isn't that possible in the MBA?

- Better price (~$200 lower)

- Smaller footprint, even if that comes at the price of a little extra thickness. I think the footprint on this must actually be larger than the MacBook, since it has the same size screen, but the MBA has that huge bezel.

The lack of an ethernet port doesn't bother me much, since it's rare that I need to plug in, but I do find it strange that they didn't release Gigabit Ethernet adapter, given that every single(?) other computer they make has Gig E.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

- Firewire (400)

I'd love it, but FW lost the peripherals war to USB2. It's a pro feature now.

Quote:

- Removable battery (although probably not going to happen)

Nope. The battery isn't a block, it's thin and stretched all the way across the bottom of the machine.

Quote:

- option for larger hard drive. Jobs said these were the same hard drives they had in the iPod Classics. If the iPod Classis goes up to 160GB, why isn't that possible in the MBA?

Shoo-in.

Quote:

- Better price (~$200 lower)

Or more features to justify the same price.

Quote:

- Smaller footprint, even if that comes at the price of a little extra thickness. I think the footprint on this must actually be larger than the MacBook, since it has the same size screen, but the MBA has that huge bezel.

I doubt they'll trade thickness for footprint, but I'm sure their hardware gnomes will keep looking for smaller and leaner ways to keep the computer, and especially the screen, rigid.

Quote:

The lack of an ethernet port doesn't bother me much, since it's rare that I need to plug in, but I do find it strange that they didn't release Gigabit Ethernet adapter, given that every single(?) other computer they make has Gig E.

USB2 doesn't have the bandwidth to handle Gig E.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm actually a fan of the Macbook Air. It's a neat machine and though I won't replace my current Macbook with one, I can see the appeal it has.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Rev B? There should have never been an A. It would have been nice if Apple had introduced a real subnotebook rather than a crippled MacBook in an expensive case. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until apple realizes what a big mistake the Air is.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maddan View Post

Rev B? There should have never been an A. It would have been nice if Apple had introduced a real subnotebook rather than a crippled MacBook in an expensive case. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until apple realizes what a big mistake the Air is.

An Apple-ized Eee PC would have been pretty cool IMO. As it is, I may have to pick up one when the larger screen versions (8.9") are available.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The whole concept is crap in my mind.

It's one of the best ultra-portables on the market. Your comparing it to standard notebooks is like comparing Angelina Jolie to Judge Judy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maddan

It would have been nice if Apple had introduced a real subnotebook rather than a crippled MacBook

First, it's NOT a sub-notebook, so why compare it to one? Secondly, you need to see what other ultra-portables offer and THEN compare it to the MB Air. They don't even come close. The only problem with the MB Air is that it doesn't have a user-replaceable battery and no expresscard slot so that we can add other things like Firewire, Ethernet. etc. But I'm sure version 2.0 will have it. The MB Air is another OPTION in the MB arsenal. I am very glad that they came out with it but I won't be getting one until they add those ports and a user-replaceable battery. I've heard you can add Tiger to the Asus Eee so that might be the best way to go for us for the time being
  • Reply 13 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

It's one of the best ultra-portables on the market. Your comparing it to standard notebooks is like comparing Angelina Jolie to Judge Judy

It isn't even close to the best ultra on the market. it is so limited with respect to the older ultras on the market that one has to wonder why Apple even bothered.

Quote:

First, it's NOT a sub-notebook, so why compare it to one?

Simple really because many sub noteboooks have more features than the Vacuum at a lower cost.

Quote:

Secondly, you need to see what other ultra-portables offer and THEN compare it to the MB Air. They don't even come close.

This is beginning to sound like a broken record. There are few computers of any type that are as limited as the Vacuum.

Quote:

The only problem with the MB Air is that it doesn't have a user-replaceable battery and no expresscard slot so that we can add other things like Firewire, Ethernet. etc. But I'm sure version 2.0 will have it.

So you are already planning for rev B. Might that be because the Vacuum simply isn't the best ultra going. In fact it is the ultimate example of the worst that the concept offers up. In one sentence you manage to destroy the whole concept you where trying to get across, that is that the Vacuum is the ultimate ultra. You may not realize it but you have demonstrated completely why the product is nothing but BS. There is no substance to the Vacuum other than the processor and memory.

Quote:

The MB Air is another OPTION in the MB arsenal. I am very glad that they came out with it but I won't be getting one until they add those ports and a user-replaceable battery.

Funny twice you said the Vacuum is: "It's one of the best ultra-portables on the market". If that is remotely true (it isn't by the way) then why are you waiting on a newer rev? Either the Vacuum is a viable product or it isn't. Straight out it isn't.

Quote:

I've heard you can add Tiger to the Asus Eee so that might be the best way to go for us for the time being

No Linux is fine on the Eee PC. Putting a heavy weight OS on the machine just kills it.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

It isn't even close to the best ultra on the market. it is so limited with respect to the older ultras on the market that one has to wonder why Apple even bothered.

Simple really because many sub noteboooks have more features than the Vacuum at a lower cost.

This is beginning to sound like a broken record. There are few computers of any type that are as limited as the Vacuum.

So you are already planning for rev B. Might that be because the Vacuum simply isn't the best ultra going. In fact it is the ultimate example of the worst that the concept offers up. In one sentence you manage to destroy the whole concept you where trying to get across, that is that the Vacuum is the ultimate ultra. You may not realize it but you have demonstrated completely why the product is nothing but BS. There is no substance to the Vacuum other than the processor and memory.

Funny twice you said the Vacuum is: "It's one of the best ultra-portables on the market". If that is remotely true (it isn't by the way) then why are you waiting on a newer rev? Either the Vacuum is a viable product or it isn't. Straight out it isn't.

No Linux is fine on the Eee PC. Putting a heavy weight OS on the machine just kills it.

Dave

All of your insistent whining is rendered moot by the mere fact that you can't even bring yourself to name the computer correctly in each of your posts.

It's as juvenile as those who use 'Micro$oft Winblows'. Clever, only in their own mind.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Your response convinces me that this is why there should be mandatory drug testing on the Internet. Here is a comparision chart of some ultra notebooks. Open your eyes and see for yourself just how really good the MB Air stacks up. It blows the competition away, and they don't even offer features like a back lit keyboard.

Quote:

Simple really because many sub noteboooks have more features than the Vacuum at a lower cost

Now what in your mind makes you think that's a good answer? They are two DIFFERENT products geared toward two DIFFERENT markets. I suppose you also compare Corvettes to F150 pick-up trucks with sport wheels

Quote:

why are you waiting on a newer rev?

Easy. Because I'd want the MB Air to include Firewire. Other than that I think it's the right direction for ALL laptops to be taking. The days of lugging around a boat anchor are numbered. Deal with it

The research that went into the MB Air WILL eventually trickle down into the other MB models. They didn't go through all of this trouble and expense just for one model. Until then it offers people another OPTION in the entire notebook lineup.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Im sure if Apple would juz release the MBA as 12" a lot of complaints will be gone cause people are comparing hardware specs thru screen sizes. Anyway aint a 12" display will make it as light as Sony TZ?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

I'd love it, but FW lost the peripherals war to USB2. It's a pro feature now.

I'm not so sure. First of all, it's on the MacBook, Mac Mini, iMac etc., none of which are pro machines. Second, I think it's still an important feature, notably for video editing (which is what I would use it for). Admittedly, it's not a feature I need too often, since most of my video comes on a hard drive from our reporters, but it's still a dealbreaker.

Quote:

Nope. The battery isn't a block, it's thin and stretched all the way across the bottom of the machine.

The shape shouldn't matter too much. I had a PIII IBM ThinkPad which had a long thin battery, and which was removable. As a machine designed for people on the go, it seems to be a "duh" feature, especially considering the crap battery that came with my MacBook Pro.

Quote:

USB2 doesn't have the bandwidth to handle Gig E.

That's what I figured. Luckily, this one wouldn't bother me too much, especially since it has wireless N, and unless I'm transferring large files over the Network, I'm not even using 100Mb in bandwidth.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

Your response convinces me that this is why there should be mandatory drug testing on the Internet. Here is a comparision chart of some ultra notebooks. Open your eyes and see for yourself just how really good the MB Air stacks up. It blows the competition away, and they don't even offer features like a back lit keyboard.

Loot at "Dimensions" column -> Air loses by default. It's a lighter Macbook with cosmetics (*cough* backlit keyboard) that will be in all the other product lines by the end of the year, but most crucially, it has HUEG STATUS. Both points of comparison are a lot smaller, slightly lighter and are not anywhere near as stripped down in features. They even have the best possible ULV CPU, while Apple uses a run-of-the-mill part. It's left as an exercise for the reader who is serious about mobility here.
    Quote:

Now what in your mind makes you think that's a good answer? They are two DIFFERENT products geared toward two DIFFERENT markets. I suppose you also compare Corvettes to F150 pick-up trucks with sport wheels

So what exactly can you do with the Air hardware you can not do with the Vaio's or the Portege's?
    Quote:

The research that went into the MB Air WILL eventually trickle down into the other MB models. They didn't go through all of this trouble and expense just for one model. Until then it offers people another OPTION in the entire notebook lineup.

You say option, I say a roadblock for an Apple business ultraportable as well as a smaller Macbook Pro, both of which would have found many buyers.

Rev B or Air will be called "Hot Air" and it will cost more because that means more HUEG STATUS. It'll also have a 15" screen because that is MOAR than 13". A quadcore if they can fit it. 3 hour battery life on integrated battery will be fine, because market research will shortly reveal that the average Air owner will only want to show off their computamajig at Starbucks or a meeting for two hours in one sitting. Also, it'll be 0.01" thinner so the current Air owners standing in line micrometers in hand will have plenty of reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I don't need another air. What I'd like to see is an Intel version of the 12" PowerBook G4, maybe with a removable optical drive and an alternative module that incorporates a Express slot and a card reader. Now that would be a killer product.

Oh, and dedicated graphics please, 8600M GS for example.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Montevina platform
    • Penryn processors - more energy efficient, faster FSB, SSE4.1

• GMA X4500 - better integrated graphics

• DDR3 RAM - faster and more energy efficient

• WiMAX - 802.16 wireless