Letdown?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

There's a big difference between being able to read and comprehend. If you think the first part is beyond me, the second escapes you.

Bush is the primary p.r. ambassador for your country. As such he has huge influence over the state of your economy which is, currently, fucked. No question.

For the record, at 39 I'm an exec within a multi-million pound media conglomerate and work 4 months of the year making money while I sleep the other 8.

The Air? It'll look good on my receptionists' desks but I can't see anybody here using it for work.

Huh? Show me how the economy is fucked. I bet you thought it was outstanding under Clinton and Jimmy Carter, but sucked under Reagan and Bush right? You think liberals make the economy better or something? And a pr man doesn't mean shit from shinalo about controlling the economy.

So what I hear is that you blame Bush for the war, therefore the economy in the US is fucked because you hate Bush? This is all I hear from people who think they know how the system works all day and all night. It's really quite humerous, especially from people from other countries. Thanks for showing me facts and leading me in the right direction. Jest keep on hating Bush for unknown reasons, and therefore thinking the economy is fucked just because you hate Bush.
  • Reply 182 of 212
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

It is a happy experience. You can up it to 2gb ram. I can run Halo on mine.

I'm sure that Oni runs just fine on an Air, too.

But if you're running Halo, you're not trying to use Windows in such a cramped environment. At least the Eee's default OS was actually designed to match the hardware.
  • Reply 183 of 212
    Oh, and Bush is on the Dow Jones right now, personally controlling the DJIA going from up 85 to down 10 and then back up and then down again. He can do that to the NASDAQ and the S&P500. Him personally. He has that magic button in the White House.
  • Reply 184 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

I'm sure that Oni runs just fine on an Air, too.

But if you're running Halo, you're not trying to use Windows in such a cramped environment. At least the Eee's default OS was actually designed to match the hardware.

I stopped using xp. I love the version of linux it has, in full mode.
  • Reply 185 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

You obviously can't read. I wasn't defending Bush. I'm just telling you that any sitting President can't, and doesn't, control what everyone is blaming Bush for. Reread it and then come back in to the conversation. And how is it exaclty that I'm fucked, because of Bush? I still have a job, in fact I'm retiring from it in 6 months at the age of 38. How bout you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Huh? Show me how the economy is fucked. I bet you thought it was outstanding under Clinton and Jimmy Carter, but sucked under Reagan and Bush right? You think liberals make the economy better or something? And a pr man doesn't mean shit from shinalo about controlling the economy.

So what I hear is that you blame Bush for the war, therefore the economy in the US is fucked because you hate Bush? This is all I hear from people who think they know how the system works all day and all night. It's really quite humerous, especially from people from other countries. Thanks for showing me facts and leading me in the right direction. Jest keep on hating Bush for unknown reasons, and therefore thinking the economy is fucked just because you hate Bush.

I'd love to know how you think Bush handled the hurricane Katrina disaster, let alone the assorted wars he's involved himself in (not that Blair was much better). The rest of the planet despises your president and US foreign policy and you think this doesn't affect your economy? dream on.

i'm glad you still have a job. look around you and see what happens to americans who don't
  • Reply 186 of 212
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

All of which it desperately needs, because its built-in storage is laughable. Well, it's fine for text files and light browsing.

Laughable yes in the sense of a full grown laptop, but lets be honest it does a lot better than the other small form factor internet appliances on the market. Compared to the nokia Tablets the Eee PC is a power house.

Quote:

On one bus, so no substantial improvement over a hub.

Sure beats carrying a hub around with you. This for many will become a necessity on with the Vacuum. Well those silly enough to buy the machine.

Quote:

Legacy, when Jiffy Lubes have wireless access.

WiFi simply isn't available 100% of the time, that is reason enough to have an alternative.

Quote:

802.11g only. S-l-o-w.

Upgradeable though.

Quote:

What is of concern is that you can't see the value in removing things that are not often needed, nor of building in enough that you don't need expansion. With a bare minimum of ports, the Air is durable, looks sleek, and could be shrunk down as small as it was because the motherboard doesn't have to extend to cover port locations all over the machine.

There is such a thing as going to far and the Vacuum is the perfect example here. Its problems revolve around the lack of ports and the non swappable battery.

With the ports I'm flexible and would love to see a reasonable complement of USB port as they could easily cover multiple needs. Having a reasonable number of ports would not of impacted the design significantly. One port though is stupid especially when the machine lacks a dedicated Ethernet port.

As to Sound ports the thing that strikes me here is they have a perfectly good standard in the iPhone for a port to handle both audio in and out on a compact machine. Instead the Vacuum becomes a challenged device when tasked with VoIP. One of course could use an USB adapter but there is only one port there. So you are limited to either the built in mic or Bluetooth in most cases.

Quote:

I like the Eee. It's a spiffy little machine that takes care of the needs of a lot of people. But it's not a full-fledged personal computer.

Neither is the Vacuum. The limitations are different for sure but by the same logic make it far less than a full fledged computer. The reason I chose to compare against the Eee PC is not that the Eee is a full fledged computer but rather that it got the I/O right at a far lower price point than the Vacuum.

So by the same token the Vacuum is less than a personal computer but frankly is not in a position to meet as many needs as the Eee PC.

Quote:

The OS and applications are take it or leave it (you can install Windows, but it's not a happy experience). The screen, while usable, is tiny and dim. You can't touch type on the keyboard, which is a deal-breaker for me.

All valid complaints, but fairly easy to deal with on an open system. The issue with the keyboard on the Eee for example is valid but no where near as critical as the limitations on the Vacuum. There is no way to provide for what is missing from the Vacuum, which is pretty sad considering its price.

Quote:

The Air is at least a fully capable Mac.

It is no more a fully capable mac than a Eee PC is a fully capable Linux laptop. The limitations are different for sure but you simply can't say that the Vacuum is fully equipped.

Quote:

And while there's something to having a machine like my 17" PB that has every possible contingency accounted for, and is sized and weighted appropriately, there's also something to be said for a machine that only has what you need 80% or 90% of the time, and leans on peripherals for the rest. Obviously, if you spend 80% or 90% of your time with your ports full and your drive whirring, the Air is not your machine. But how many people just use their laptops, without peripherals and without an optical disk, almost all of the time? That's the potential market for the Air.

I'd say that market is very small.

It is unfortunate too as It would have only taken a bit of thought and engineering to make the current rendition of Air much more acceptable. Instead i looks like Apple was more concerned about looks than function.

Quote:

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the Air looks gorgeous while the Eee looks like cheap. Maybe Asus could clean up the design by getting rid of a lot of those ports.

Actually I have ideas for the next rev of the Eee PC too. It would be improving a machine that already works of course. The port allocation would be rebalanced a bit but I wouldn't get rid of all of them. Might even add one of two.

The thing with the good ole Vacuum is that it wouldn't take a lot to make the machine much more attractive. It would still be to high priced but at least practicable for people with money.

Dave
  • Reply 187 of 212
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think the MacBook Air is the new CUBE. Another failed product. Funny thing is the price is the same as the cube. I think it's a POS.

I think you called it.

I was drooling right up to the 80 GB HD. That cripples this machine for me. I have 150 GB in my MBP and keep running out of space that I have to dump on an external I have. I could never go back to 80GB and 64GB is out of the question. And carrying around an external voids the whole point of the Air. Which is a lame name by the way...

I was hoping for a smaller unit too. The thinness is cool but I would have rather seen a real nano unit.

Apple's quest for smallness cost them another sale from me for the same reason. I would own an iPod Touch, but it doesn't have enough storage space.
  • Reply 188 of 212
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    we were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Its bad timing that this MacBook Air had to release yesterday.
  • Reply 189 of 212
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In either case way to much money for what you get. Mac Book Vacuum is going to suck no matter how you cut it. You just get to little for the money you invest. Way to little.

Frankly a lot of people have been saying they are going to buy one, they have the right to do so, but I suspect that these purchases won't be long term once they realize just how limited the Vacuum is. Expect to see used Vacuums going for a song.

Dave

I had considered responding to you but I don't try to reason with folks that make up juvenille names for things they don't like. It's not clever.

But hey, you managed to sucker Mr. H into responding. Troll 1, Mr. H. 0.

Baaaad Mr. H. Don't feed trolls. Baaad Amorph too.
  • Reply 190 of 212
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

to that person who said "Just wait a few weeks for a MacBook Pro Update".. dude you don't know the feeling, you don't know what its like.. Lots of people have been waiting for months now... and few more weeks.. I need one like really soon and there's no way i'm buying the current one right now.

I got mine for $84 through NuiTech, and I had to wait 3 months.
  • Reply 191 of 212
    Well, the good news is, buy some AAPL.
  • Reply 192 of 212
    Quote:

I'd love to know how you think Bush handled the hurricane Katrina disaster, let alone the assorted wars he's involved himself in (not that Blair was much better). The rest of the planet despises your president and US foreign policy and you think this doesn't affect your economy? dream on.

i'm glad you still have a job. look around you and see what happens to americans who don't

stfu!
  • Reply 193 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicvalentine View Post

stfu!

I'll stfu when American fools stfu.
  • Reply 194 of 212
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    I see the crybabies are still going on, give them about another couple of weeks.
  • Reply 195 of 212
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

I would own an iPod Touch, but it doesn't have enough storage space.

Wait about a year. Considering that production of normal 1.8" hard drives is coming to a close, I expect SSD prices to plummet.
  • Reply 196 of 212
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

stfu!

Take the high road and don't even give them your time.
  • Reply 197 of 212
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

stop with the apple nut-hugging. Apple fucked up the good ol' fashion way. They can take their $20 upgrade and shove it up their ASS! Like I said, There is something in the air, and it smells like SHIT!

Educate yourself.

Quote:

Well, here's a weird one. It's no secret that Sarbanes-Oxley is a law with lots of problems. It's become a huge pain for businesses, forcing all sorts of useless, but expensive, procedures to be put in place that have little (if anything) to do with protecting investors from being taken in by unscrupulous companies. It's been a huge net loss to the economy, and has scared away plenty of companies from the public markets. While that may have held some "bubble euphoria" in check by keeping investment opportunities away from the public, the net result is bad for the overall economy. Last week, there was lots of talk about Jim Clark's decision to quit Shutterfly while blaming Sarbanes-Oxley for limiting what he could do at the company. Now comes the latest odd SOX complaint. Apparently Apple is forcing Mac owners to pay an extra $5 to unlock next generation features of WiFi that were bundled with recent machines. In order to unlock the pre-standard 802.11n features, you have to pay $5, with Apple saying that they cannot be seen as "giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures." The thinking, basically is that they would be unfairly recognizing the revenue early, since they hadn't completely delivered the product. The alternative would be to not recognize all the revenue ahead of time, but that presents other problems, and could even be more costly. Thus, consumers get the fun of having to pay extra to upgrade. Yet another fun unexpected consequence from excessive meddling from politicians.

Now, why they charged $20, and not $5 (or $.01), I can't say. \
  • Reply 198 of 212
    Quote:

Ever heard of FEMA? I guess not. Bush isn't in charge of FEMA. Duh. It's not the President's job to do EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY. When will people learn this.
  • Reply 199 of 212
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    There is Political Outsider for those who are interested in such debate.
  • Reply 200 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serrano View Post

Educate yourself.

Now, why they charged $20, and not $5 (or $.01), I can't say. \

I see you're very educated with Steve's Hairy Ball Sack!

Thou shalt not hug thy Nuts.