Apple Entering The Television Market?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ive heard rumors that Apple might be entering the LCD TV market as early as this summer. With Apple long overdue for an overhaul of all of their monitors, it makes sense that Apple might have something up their sleeve in regards to full LCD televisions.

Obviously their angle would be to include AppleTV in their televisions, as one integrated unit since "no one likes set top boxes."

Has anyone heard anything regarding this rumor? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    It's not going to happen - Apple TV take 2 was it. No new hardware because it's movies and content that matter.

If Apple built an actual TV, it wouldn't sell well at all unless they started out with next generation technology with some exclusivity over it. Laser TV for example. If they were the first and bundled the Apple TV device then they'd have a chance but I reckon it would be short lived.

I don't know how other Mac users feel but I actually don't want an Apple everything. I want an Apple computer and that's about it. I want a good quality display, a good router, a good TV, a good phone and a good PVR but I don't want an Apple brand on them all.

I don't think that Apple have anything to offer in the display market that would make them competitive. If Apple TV is supposed to be the icing on the cake that sells the overpriced display then they need to make sure it sells well on its own first and they have failed in that respect as Jobs said on stage. Until they get it right, I hope they stay very much out of the TV market.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It seems quite obvious, as it was at the time with phones (to me anyway) that an Apple branded television is only a matter of time. It's coming for certain, just when though that's the question. I don't think these TV's will have "any" relation the new Cinema Displays though.

Apple's awaiting to have LED backlit panels in quantity for all of it's new computer displays before they refresh them. These new displays will have iSight cameras built-in, and be much thinner and lighter etc. They may also have black frames around the front of them too.

You don't have to look very far to see that Apple likes Plasma TV's, they have the new Apple TV's hooked up to a bunch of Pioneer ones. The reason being, right now plasma TV displays have far superior black levels and picture quality than LCD ones. I know, I've had personal experience with this. Plasmas, well good ones, make for a very nice Show and Movie watching experience.

I think Apple's TV will be plasma only, and will be available in two or three sizes. I'd say there's a high probability they will have a fully black outer structure too.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I wouldnt tend to agree with you Ireland about the plasma situation. Plasmas used to be the top dog, hands down, especially when it came to the 5-figure Pioneer Kuros. Now, the highest end LCD's have finally caught up, or perhaps surpassed the Plasmas. Checkout the Samsung 8100 series, who use LED backlighting to produce the whitest whites, and can even turn off the individual LED's to create blacks that you cant differentiate from the black border of the television. They get up to 500,000:1 contrast ratios with 120hz 1080p pics. I have one., so im slightly partial, but I only selected it after researching the top plasmas and the top LCD's. Its unbelievable.

The Plasma technology has improved over the years, but its rate of improvement has been slow compared to the giant leaps taken by the LCD markets recently. LCD technology also provides a better picture in many cases for PC signals, and knowing how Apple would only create a TV if they could control all of its content would make me lean towards them adopting LCD technology.

Ideally, if Apple were to get into the TV business, they would do so with a 'WOW' product that wasnt in some niche, but something brand new. Something like a laser television, or a combination of multiple technologies. Apple sticking with Plasmas would be too cliche I think.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Does it really make sense for Apple to get into a market that is thoroughly saturated to begin with? What would Apple really add to the TV market? Why would an Apple TV be a better buy than a Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung...etc?It also tends to move more quickly than Apple's traditional market cycles. I think they're best served by staying out of it.

I'm honestly curious.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Does it really make sense for Apple to get into a market that is thoroughly saturated to begin with? What would Apple really add to the TV market? Why would an Apple TV be a better buy than a Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung...etc?It also tends to move more quickly than Apple's traditional market cycles. I think they're best served by staying out of it.

I'm honestly curious.

I'm not saying I think this is a good idea, but...

The only way it would make any sense at all would be for Apple to combine a high-end LED-backlit LCD TV with an vastly improved AppleTV, say sporting 500GB HD and a Blu-Ray DVD player built-in--side slot like on an iMac.

Possibly even including a full Dolby sound system and speakers for the AIO home entertainment system. Kind of like the iMac for the living room.

Then you rent your movies, buy your music and watch/listen to it all on the iTV, complete with an iPod dock and wirelessly networked to your other Macs for sharing resources.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Thats exactly what I was alluding to DonebyLee. Alot of the tech companies have a vision that the 'Holy Grail' of technology in the next 10 years will be a centralized system in your house. One system that will act as your TV, Computer, sound system, interface with all your devices, even including home appliances and electronic lighting, etc. One 'brain' of the house, where the consumer will throw all of their money at one item, one brand name, one product.

I would agree that if Apple were to venture down this path, it would only be on an all-inclusive, 'next-big-thing' kind of step.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I guess.

I'm not seeing much to get juice up about though.

I'm sceptical about Apple going head-to-head with the existing manufacturers in that particular market. They may well be biting off more than they can chew if this "rumor" has any creedence at all.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    let's just agree, NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    That's my gut feeling.

Sometimes it just seems like people go overboard with the Apple love and want to see all sorts of things done in an "Apple" way.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Not happening.

This is just one more of Ireland's wet dreams.

Like Bancho said it is a saturate market with low profit margins and very high competition.

You want an amazing display, don't wait, the Pioneer's Kuro are just out of this world. Go buy it or wait for their 9G displays that will be even better.

Apple is much better of developing even further their AppleTV into full 1080p among other things and bring more and more content to iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

I guess.

I'm not seeing much to get juice up about though.

I'm sceptical about Apple going head-to-head with the existing manufacturers in that particular market. They may well be biting off more than they can chew if this "rumor" has any creedence at all.

I tend to agree, but I think Apple would partner with a big manufacturer instead of reinventing the TV themselves. Probably Sony as they already seem to have a relationship, at least that's what they use in the Apple Stores.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

let's just agree, NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I won't go so far as to say it will not happen, but I really think that Apple would have to have something extremely compelling to get people to choose a much more expensive Apple TV over the competition.

Also this will not happen before a strong distribution partnership is forged with a major retailer like Best Buy. I think once Apple products are established in that channel then, depending on the marketplace, Apple would make the leap into the TV business.

But I honestly hope they don't for this reason: TVs are appliances and I don't want to see Apple get into the appliance business.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't know how other Mac users feel but I actually don't want an Apple everything. I want an Apple computer and that's about it. I want a good quality display, a good router, a good TV, a good phone and a good PVR but I don't want an Apple brand on them all.

I agree, I want Apple to focus on the computers and software primarily. The iPhone and iPod are cool, but if Apple start developing too many things, they will lose focus on what is important.

Many of these products are already amazing. HDTV's, printers, digital cameras, camcorders, etc. Just leave them alone. I rather have Apple creating solutions to integrate them than actually creating them.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    With this particular rumor, I am thinking of an Apple LCD television...with what we know as the Apple TV appliance built-into it...much like we see now with Time Capsule. Does this make sense?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Not happening.

This is just one more of Ireland's wet dreams.

You're wrong dude. Very wrong.

Even setting up a TV these days is a pain in the ass. They are no longer Apple Computer. They want the living room. You may need to open your eyes and except the changes that are coming. Televisions are right in line with where Apple wants to go, and Apple could not only make a very sexy one, they would make it simple to setup, and very device friendly.

You don't have to look very far to see how saturated the phone market was when Apple entered it. An Apple Television is coming, that much is certain.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Even setting up a TV these days is a pain in the ass. They are no longer Apple Computer. They want the living room. You may need to open your eyes and except the changes that are coming. Televisions are right in line with where Apple wants to go, and Apple could not only make a very sexy one, they would make it simple to setup, and very device friendly.

You don't have to look very far to see how saturated the phone market was when Apple entered it. An Apple Television is coming, that much is certain.

Ok, I am wrong. sure you know it all

Cell phone market : Billions of consumers

HDTV market: how many? 10 million? 100 million?

Profit margins for HDTV: Low. Look at the state of Pioneer. They make the most amazing plasma sets and the company is having a hard time because of the competition and the low profit margins.

Apple jumped to revolutionize the the cell phone market because the experience was poor, specially for the smarphones.

What's wrong with the HDTV market? amazing sets out there by Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, etc. What do you want Apple to do in order to revolutionize? Just add AppleTV on it? is that enough? What about the the hi-end HDTV market? why would you want a hardware(appletv) that probably needs update every two years on a hi-end set that people keeps for much longer?

Why set up a HDTV a pain like you say? What Apple could do to make it much easier? Man, read the manual.

AppleTV is doing it now the right way. They are offering content in order to make profit and sell more units of AppleTV. Apple wants to have control in the media distribution, not really on the set you are watching it. (remember the Apple hi-fi speakers, it bombed)

If HDTV sets had a large profit margins like the iPhone and iPods I would agree with you and expect a TV but that's not the case. I bought 4 ipods since Apple introduce it. I still have the same TV set that I purchase much prior than that. I'll buy a HDTV this year and I am planning to keep it for long time.

Dude my eyes are open, yours are shut and you are sleeping and having a wet dream. Sorry.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Even setting up a TV these days is a pain in the ass.

?

Are you kidding?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Ok, I am wrong. sure you know it all

Cell phone market : Billions of consumers

HDTV market: how many? 10 million? 100 million?

Profit margins for HDTV: Low. Look at the state of Pioneer. They make the most amazing plasma sets and the company is having a hard time because of the competition and the low profit margins.

Apple jumped to revolutionize the the cell phone market because the experience was poor, specially for the smarphones.

What's wrong with the HDTV market? amazing sets out there by Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, etc. What do you want Apple to do in order to revolutionize? Just add AppleTV on it? is that enough? What about the the hi-end HDTV market? why would you want a hardware(appletv) that probably needs update every two years on a hi-end set that people keeps for much longer?

Why set up a HDTV a pain like you say? What Apple could do to make it much easier? Man, read the manual.

AppleTV is doing it now the right way. They are offering content in order to make profit and sell more units of AppleTV. Apple wants to have control in the media distribution, not really on the set you are watching it. (remember the Apple hi-fi speakers, it bombed)

If HDTV sets had a large profit margins like the iPhone and iPods I would agree with you and expect a TV but that's not the case. I bought 4 ipods since Apple introduce it. I still have the same TV set that I purchase much prior than that. I'll buy a HDTV this year and I am planning to keep it for long time.

Dude my eyes are open, yours are shut and you are sleeping and having a wet dream. Sorry.

We'll see.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    sounds good!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I'm able to set up a TV fine.

There's no mount of crap you can attach to a TV to make it more appealing to me. I want my TV's to be system agnostic, offer plenty of conection options and have a great quality picture.

My prediction is:

If Apple enters the TV market they'll get mauled.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I've said this before, I think the iMac will morph into a media center device.

I think Apple is working on developing a user interface appropriate for such a device. I think Apple are working on a UI (gestures?) that will make a mouse unnecessary. The wireless keyboard is already available.

I don't think it will just be a Mac with a port for a cable connection.