MacBook (non-pro) Refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I looked for opinions on when the MacBook (non-pro) is going to be refreshed. The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm going to college this coming year and my parents have promised me a laptop as a graduation present and are willing to give it to me early, for my birthday. I know the new chipset is coming around with the revised penryns around May, but what does this mean in terms of Apple?

Do you think they will only upgrade the Pro, wait a few months, and then update the non-pro? The reason why I'm asking this is because I would like to buy now, but I'd rather wait if the MacBook (non-pro) is going to be updated by June or earlier.

I've also noticed that the first-generation products tend to not have the quality that the later generations do have. Ex - the earlier first-gen MacBooks had a lot of problems with logic boards, odd processor fan noises, etc. Will this be true for the refresh as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    We already have a thread on the Pros, and most think that it will be updated before the MacBook. The MacBook was last updated on November 1st, whereas the last MacBook Pro was on June 5 ? 2.6GHz option excluded.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Well, the November 1st update was significant.

Quote:

As rumored, Apple has quietly updated the MacBook tonight to the Santa Rosa architecture with mild speed bumps and the GMA X3100 integrated video.

White 13.3"

$1099.00 2.0GHz/1GB RAM/80GB/Combo/GMA X3100

$1299.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/120GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Black 13.3"

$1499.00 2.2GHz/1GB RAM/160GB/SD-DL/GMA X3100

Despite comparable clock speeds (2.0 -> 2.0GHz, 2.16 -> 2.2GHz) to the old models, the new MacBooks use the Santa Rosa chipset which boasts a faster 800MHz front side bus over the previous MacBook models. The introduction of the GMA X3100 video card also provides significant benefits over the previous models.

• Reply 3 of 48
    Well, if I am going to get a Macbook, I am going to wait until Apple goes green with it...not for any hippy reasons, I just like the look better! :-P
  • Reply 4 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Well, if I am going to get a Macbook, I am going to wait until Apple goes green with it...not for any hippy reasons, I just like the look better! :-P

How do you know what the "green" Macbook will look like?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    It will be in Aluminium (99%), the design is questionable, Apple could just take it easy by using the current design or they can do something like the Air design.

What I fear if Apple were to use the Air design is they will get the stupid and idiotic idea like the integrated battery and 1 USB port.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The Macbook in plastic is a really rugged machine. It's extremely simple to add RAM and switch out the HDD (this is an excellent feature and I can't stress it enough). The current form factor is better in many respects than the Air (which I do like but don't think I'll own).

Mine is plenty quick (1st gen 2.0 CoreDuo) but I'm sure with the advancements in the cpu's and chipsets the new ones would smoke mine fairly handily.

They are really good values right now. You can always wait for the next great thing though...
  • Reply 7 of 48
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I am in the market for a Macbook to replace a Rev A MBP... I am hoping they don't go Alu! The plastic is so much more durable and rugged!

I am just hoping for a decent gpu, and a backlit keyboard... now I have said it, I bet we'll get the total opposite :P
  • Reply 8 of 48
    well for me the must have in future MB is multitouch touchpad, it makes zooming and rotating pics sooo much easier.

And why you dont want alu? Alu makes the MB price looks good (as in people wont start saying its expansive compared to other laptop that has better hardware at the same price). A dedicated GPU option in the line is a must. Backlit keyboard is okay.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I didn't realize the macbook consumer had santa rosa. I guess it went over my head. I'd like to buy a macbook, but am waiting on:

? aluminum shell

? LED display

So you're telling me the plastic shell aint that bad, rugged infact? I heard and suspect since the case is shiny, it will be scratched really easily.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

case is shiny

Hmm maybe, I dont realise it on my sis black macbook yet though. Maybe at the bottom. Hmm.

Oh yeah, is it cause of the LED Display the MBA display screen is thinner?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I hate the Alu on my MBP, so fragile, and way, way too hot.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    How about a mixture? An aluminum upper shell and a plastic base so not to burn your lap?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I think they gonna hold off on the refresh of both until they can add multi-touch like on the air. Now that i think about it. but who really knows. i am know i am holding out for the "greener" macbook. It would be great if came out before 2nd quarter start.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    So nobody really has any legitmate guesses? \

I was considering buying tomorrow or so. I thought for sure that the next update wasn't going to be until after June, but I'm still not really sure.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyler S View Post

So nobody really has any legitmate guesses? \

I was considering buying tomorrow or so. I thought for sure that the next update wasn't going to be until after June, but I'm still not really sure.

You'd probably be right. Order now.- still has 120 days to go until the product cycle ends

(http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook)
  • Reply 16 of 48
    I think the multi-touch is more to software and not hardware. Its possible to have m-touch gestures in current MB or MBP with a software update (thats if apple would want to).

Hmm, yeah. You are correct bout Alu being hotter then Plastic, maybe a mixture is good . But Alu dissipate internal heat better.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I didn't realize the macbook consumer had santa rosa. I guess it went over my head. I'd like to buy a macbook, but am waiting on:

• aluminum shell

• LED display

Then I am afraid that your waiting will be long. Sorry to break the bad news, but the current Macbook design has not even been two years out there (about one year and eight months actually). The previous iBook design lasted ... (guess what) ... five years. This of course tells not much about what and when is coming, but it makes you (me certainly) think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

So you're telling me the plastic shell aint that bad, rugged infact? I heard and suspect since the case is shiny, it will be scratched really easily.

I don't know, but people say that it is more resistant to bumps. It will probably scratch more easily than the aluminum case but, from what I gather after reading user reports, it will not deform or break as easily as the aluminum one.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Perhaps Apple will unveil both at the same time, new CPU, cases and all?
  • Reply 19 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Then I am afraid that your waiting will be long. Sorry to break the bad news, but the current Macbook design has not even been two years out there (about one year and eight months actually). The previous iBook design lasted ... (guess what) ... five years. This of course tells not much about what and when is coming, but it makes you (me certainly) think.

I don't know, but people say that it is more resistant to bumps. It will probably scratch more easily than the aluminum case but, from what I gather after reading user reports, it will not deform or break as easily as the aluminum one.

While I can't speak to the virtues of the white one as I haven't dropped one yet, I can safely say that the black doesn't scratch easily at all.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    Hmm aint a properly design aluminium will be stronger then plastic?