IBM's Lotus software coming to Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    We have Lotus notes here at work. And god does it suck. Makes me feel like I'm working on a program developed for windows 3.1

On the up side it does work very well.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Lotus 8 was a BIG step forward, but only because lotus 6.5 was %^$*.

I think Lotus 8 was nice, but still a lot of work to do and improve on.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inewbie View Post

I don't understand why you would speculate on this when you admit you have no facts regarding the number of installed Notes users. Clearly you don't understand what Notes is, otherwise you would know that it's not a program that is going to run a McDonalds Cash Register.

And proprietary? Jeez... what do you want? Support for POP, SMTP, IMAP, LDAP? XML, DXL, HTTP? MIME, SMOM, x.509? Web services? Oh yeah.... it supports all that and probably more that I don't even know of....

I don't pay attention to the press releases... so I don't really know what the 135 million number is, but most likely it's ACTIVE licenses..

I'm really not trying to pick.... but it just came off to me as a really negative comment when you admit that you have no facts...

The fact they you personally hasn't run into any of these people is not statistically relevant...

Best Regards!

Just curious. How many posts will you have to make before you regard yourself as no longer being a "newbie", and have to change your screen name, and start over?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Since the iPhone doesn't have Java, and Notes 8 is Eclipse-based, I'm 99.9% sure that this will not be an actual Notes client in the traditional sense, but will instead rely on Domino Web Services to be enabled on the server end.

Which will suck for me, because my company refuses to turn them on.

Jeez! That's no excuse! You know how to do it. Just slip in during the night...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

We have Lotus notes here at work. And god does it suck. Makes me feel like I'm working on a program developed for windows 3.1

On the up side it does work very well.

Does it suck, or does it work very well?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Jeez! That's no excuse! You know how to do it. Just slip in during the night...

You know where I work, right?

Don't get me started on Lotus products.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    IBM have been making changes in the Mac side for a few years altering the program from 6.5, 6.5.5, 7 and now 8

It has steadily become more Mac like since the switch to 7 and more so in 8. 7 introduced the app as a complete package etc.

This is not as bad as it sounds. Notes is a strong product.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Just curious. How many posts will you have to make before you regard yourself as no longer being a "newbie", and have to change your screen name, and start over?

We'll I'm a fairly recent switcher.... so it'll probably take awhile...