?tv - Unfair UK Pricing?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay so the US now have the tv at $229. Doing a quick conversion and adding tax, the UK equivalent should now be at £139. But it's still at £199. Why is this?

tv in the US now has movie rentals, but these are coming soon to the UK as a free upgrade. I'm guessing they'll drop the price then. So if you're in the know, there is literally no incentive to buy a UK-based tv at all.

Isn't that a little short-sighted of Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's got to do with the fact that movie rentals won't be here until later in the year. It's not just for the UK, it's pricier everywhere outside the US right now. My guess is when its comes to the UK Apple will have a small event here in Europe (in London) to tout it and they'll reduce costs then.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Yes I'm sure you're absolutely right. I just think to myself... If you have half a brain and have been following anything Apple, buying a UK model now would be a total waste of money. If I were Apple I'd feel bad about allowing people to buy one at the moment!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It's still at the higher rate in Japan. Guess we gotta let our American brothers enjoy the subsidy the big movie companies have given Apple...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I wonder how much money their announcement will lose them on other countries not buying for now. I guess it'll still be worth their while.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I wonder how much money their announcement will lose them on other countries not buying for now. I guess it'll still be worth their while.

Sales of the AppleTV weren't anything to be worried about.- Apparently they were enough to keep it alive, but not so high as to worry about any loss/delay of sales.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I guess the extra revenue they'll get from rentals will justify a price drop. No rentals means no price drop anywhere except the US. Apple apparently said they hope for a UK update by the end of the year.

Well I guess that means Apple TV is going to flop big time - who saw that coming? Let's hope Netflix can get their Mac support together soon and we can kick Apple out of the media content delivery service once and for all. Amazon for music and DVDs, Netflix for video on demand.

Even if Apple does eventually manage to treat international customers equally, it will be too little, too late.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Cost of production has to have gone down in the course of a year. I'd think that would be more reason to drop teh price than anything else. I'm sure Apple is still making decent margins even on the lower price now.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It's still at the higher rate in Japan. Guess we gotta let our American brothers enjoy the subsidy the big movie companies have given Apple...

You think that is great - wait until you see our fuel prices - $3/gallon = 50p per litre. The US is the land of low prices, and the UK is the land of rip offs, I don't know why the OP is surprised.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I guess the extra revenue they'll get from rentals will justify a price drop. No rentals means no price drop anywhere except the US. Apple apparently said they hope for a UK update by the end of the year.

Well I guess that means Apple TV is going to flop big time - who saw that coming? Let's hope Netflix can get their Mac support together soon and we can kick Apple out of the media content delivery service once and for all. Amazon for music and DVDs, Netflix for video on demand.

Even if Apple does eventually manage to treat international customers equally, it will be too little, too late.

Um, why? Apple is a great music and video distributor. Any problems you may have are with the labels and the studios, not Apple (Price, DRM, privileges all relate to them)Besides which, neither of the two companies you just listed have the same presence outside the US at all. No UK Unbox, definitely no French NetFlix.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You think that is great - wait until you see our fuel prices - $3/gallon = 50p per litre. The US is the land of low prices, and the UK is the land of rip offs, I don't know why the OP is surprised.

Please let me at your fuel prices! I just paid 3.55/gal in the US. The US isn't a magical land of low prices.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Japan is 5.85 US a gallon... you guys got it easy!

• Reply 12 of 12
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Please let me at your fuel prices! I just paid 3.55/gal in the US. The US isn't a magical land of low prices.

That must have been for 93 octane (98 European octane I think). We pay $3 for 87 and $3.30 for 93 in North Carolina - and we have the highest gas taxes in the southeast.

Ob back on topic - the british have to pay a bunch for shipping also, which needs to get factored into the price. For some reason shipping to England is very expensive - maybe unions or something. I ordered a pair of custom wound audio transformers from England once, and the shipping was twice as expensive as getting the same weight from Hong Kong (which is further away).