show your setup 2008

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking at new desks/chairs for use with many books and a laptop and stuff after I get my tax refund and/or the George W. Bush Pitty Check ($800 to "restart the economy") so I want some ideas...post away if you wish...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    For me, an absolute requirement for desk chairs is that they lean back. I am quite specific here, too. The back must lean, and the seat must tilt up with it. This isn't at all an uncommon feature, but to me it's a great one.

Desks are far less crucial. If you're kind of sloppy, just get a big table. If you're not, get one with drawers.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    but drawrs hide the slop when I hve female company! lol
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

but drawrs hide the slop when I hve female company! lol

It takes a rather extreme amount of dishevelment to turn-off a first date or chance encounter. If she ends up dating you, maybe you can convince her to tidy it up.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Desks are far less crucial. If you're kind of sloppy, just get a big table.

Heard!

Just cleaned this 64 inch plastic piece of wonder.

-Matching lamps. Very lovely.

-MacBook Pro. Pros work on plastic desks too, ya know.

-Starbucks coffee. Indistinguishable from half-as-expensive Folgers cause my coffee-maker blows.

-Maxtor HD. TimeMachine's saved my ass twice, believe it or not.

-Staples "Executive Chair." I roll like that.

-Shitastic HP printer. Gonna smash the crap out of it soon for sucking so much.

-Quarter. Can never have enough quarters.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Heard!

Just cleaned this 64 inch plastic piece of wonder.

I just laughed, because in the corner of the photo it appears that the "cleaning" may have been a transfer of desk-laden materials to the adjacent ironing board. Don't worry. My desk tidying process involves sorting through the papers, scanning the ones I think might be worth something, and then throwing everything into a box. Next time I get around to cleaning my desk, I empty the box into the trash and repeat. This happens about once a quarter.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    The desk is one of the mysteries of life.

I try to clean it at the weekend, and every time it looks lovely, I dont notice how, but after a week, im sat at it, look around, and its a disgraceful mess again. Coffee mug & stain, pens, junk mail, receipts, pot of curry sauce and half bag of fries, computer game, cigarrettes, books, a cloth and can of Mr Sheen, burn out candles, pay slips, and dirt

God damn second law of thermodynamics.!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    haha! I just realized I can't capture my setup in any one picture. My system is weaved throughout shelving, a bed, boxes, OVER a desk, and spilling into my closet.

Yea. I live in a dorm.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I just laughed, because in the corner of the photo it appears that the "cleaning" may have been a transfer of desk-laden materials to the adjacent ironing board. Don't worry. My desk tidying process involves sorting through the papers, scanning the ones I think might be worth something, and then throwing everything into a box. Next time I get around to cleaning my desk, I empty the box into the trash and repeat. This happens about once a quarter.

You should see my closets.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I had a nice setup recently with 2 new 24" iMacs
  • Reply 10 of 11
    i'll post a pic of my set-up when i move into my new place in a few weeks.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Office setup. I bought the desk from Office Depot. I like very simple wood desks that allow me to move my feet around.

Sorry for the mess. Its tax season and my wife is a CPA.

Bottom picture is one of our guest bedrooms.