Community college teacher told students to not buy Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My roommates attend a computer class at Glendale Community college. Their class is for beginners. The teacher told students, if you are planning to buy a computer, not buy a mac because Mac is not good and their stock is going down soon. Is that true? I don't think all his students buy a mac because they are all new to computer and do what teacher says.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    At this stage, I think Apple's market cap is higher than any of the major PC makers. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about the damage a community college instructor could have on the stock or the revenue.

Additionally, if this is a visual studio class or similar, then I can see why he doesn't like macs. With that said, a lot of CS professors use macs, but CS professors don't tend to use visual studio.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    That has got to be the worst reason ever given to not buy a Mac.

In 1997, when it looked like they were about to die, I could understand something similar. But now? They've got $12 billion in the bank, no debts, massive gross margins and huge revenues. When it comes to choosing what computer to buy, Apple's share price is not a useful factor to consider.

If the Mac suits your needs best (and for most consumers, it does), that's what you should buy. End of story.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

At this stage, I think Apple's market cap is higher than any of the major PC makers. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry too much about the damage a community college instructor could have on the stock or the revenue.

Additionally, if this is a visual studio class or similar, then I can see why he doesn't like macs. With that said, a lot of CS professors use macs, but CS professors don't tend to use visual studio.

Heh...I'm a .net dev and my primary dev box is a Mac Pro and my primary demo box is a MacBook Pro. Studio and everything else works just great in bootcamp.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    And that's why he's teaching at a community college instead of a real one.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singwith View Post

. Their class is for beginners. The teacher told students, if you are planning to buy a computer, not buy a mac because Mac...

He just doesn't want them to buy a Mac because if they do it'll take them about 10 minutes to realize that they don't need his class.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

He just doesn't want them to buy a Mac because if they do it'll take them about 10 minutes to realize that they don't need his class.

I think you're right.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singwith View Post

My roommates attend a computer class at Glendale Community college. Their class is for beginners. The teacher told students, if you are planning to buy a computer, not buy a mac because Mac is not good and their stock is going down soon. Is that true? I don't think all his students buy a mac because they are all new to computer and do what teacher says.

I am now attending a major university, after attending and graduating from a community college here in Indiana:

The profs at the major university are people who are great at what they do, like a high level CPA who is adjuncting as an accounting prof...because he enjoys it!

The community college was staffed with, for the most part, dunces who couldnt cut it in the private sector, I once had a COMPUTER TEACHER tell me things like "you can not copy from excel to word" "Macs cant print to HP laser jet printers" and more...

sheesh...sooooo different, community colleges are pretty much BS in my experience.

Those who cant do become managers, those who cant manage, teach at community college
  • Reply 8 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Community Colleges are fine. You should not try to generalize the whole experience because a professor here and there. I went to one myself and I can attest it prepared me well for my transfer to a four year institution.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yeah, although i've never been to a community college, only a regular college which i am currently attending, i would assume that the teachers are equivalent or possibly worse than that of a high school teacher. Of course, this can depend on the teacher.