Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 721 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    what fUDD??? i've proven over and over again the bluray is not needed for games right now, no to mention its not financially viable to do so. hell, i even posted an article from a developer that explained what was being put on the disk, and sales numbers.

all i get from people in here is PR spin, not even your own spin, theirs! maybe you have your hands over your eyes buddy. go ahead, go to sony's website and copy paste another one of their bogus claims and come in here passing it off like you proved something.

you guys probably thought the ps3 still had all those ports and functionalities sony claimed it would have pre-launch huh?
  • Reply 722 of 2639
    Haha You just can't let it go, can you?
  • Reply 723 of 2639
    I'd like to point out a few things. I knew in advance which studios were switching and posted them. I work in the "system" so to call it.

Universal is switching to blu-ray by summer, and completely dropping hd-dvd

I'm so tired of hearing about hd-dvd. Nobody gives a crap about the cost. You have $600 blu-ray players outselling hd-dvd players WITH 10 freaking movies for $150. What more do you need to see? Geeze already enough.
  • Reply 724 of 2639
    You're a bit late, mister "in the know". We already know this.
  • Reply 725 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

I'm so tired of hearing about hd-dvd. Nobody gives a crap about the cost.

I give a crap about the cost. That's why I still don't have a Blu-ray player even though I decided to go format neutral a long time ago.
  • Reply 726 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Everyone gives crap about the cost! This is exact reason why Blu-Ray marketing model, keeping the extra high price for hardware and software, would only lead the HDM market to remain among niche enthusiasts. Once we miss the window of opportunity to establish the market prior to the online streaming services become popular, which is already happening, no one will care about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD other than group of enthusiasts. The only technology to bring the HDM to the mass consumer is HD-DVD, if you are not a PS3 gamer. And the mass consumers don't want a over priced game console to watch movies.

The new Toshiba strategy to lower hardware prices even further after the Warner announcement seems to be working according the Amazon sales ranking. It has also stimulated second hand market on ebay as all HD-DVD releases are available at a discount price of $8 to $15 for a HDM title.

It's entertaining to watch this thread as all the blu-ray fanboys gloat, but all the damage that was done by Warner's news is to the HDM market as a whole. The HDM market growth has halted and may lead to shrinkage. For someone like me, an AV/HDM hobbyist, will keep making discrete purchases on the new releases but less frequently. Not because I'm resisting to purchase a Blu-Ray player, but because I can't find a fully featured combo/blu-ray player for under $500 or combo pc drive for $100.
  • Reply 727 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

I'd like to point out a few things. I knew in advance which studios were switching and posted them. I work in the "system" so to call it.

Universal is switching to blu-ray by summer, and completely dropping hd-dvd

I'm so tired of hearing about hd-dvd. Nobody gives a crap about the cost. You have $600 blu-ray players outselling hd-dvd players WITH 10 freaking movies for $150. What more do you need to see? Geeze already enough.

OK, inkhead, we'll take your post at face value. You didn't mention Paramount. Any timeframe on that studio.

One thing you'll find about this thread is that people are for the most part very passionate on their choice of HDM and/or game systems.
  • Reply 728 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Everyone gives crap about the cost! This is exact reason why Blu-Ray marketing model, keeping the extra high price for hardware and software, would only lead the HDM market to remain among niche enthusiasts. Once we miss the window of opportunity to establish the market prior to the online streaming services become popular, which is already happening, no one will care about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD other than group of enthusiasts. The only technology to bring the HDM to the mass consumer is HD-DVD, if you are not a PS3 gamer. And the mass consumers don't want a over priced game console to watch movies.

Not to the extent at which you claim. The price discrepancy you speak of is merely ~$100. This will hardly damn the HDM to "remain among niche enthusiasts." If anything, your whole paragraph flies in the face of logic, as a CLEAR winner in this format war in Blu-ray will allow the currently niche status of the HDM to explode, as consumers won't have fear or the confusion in buying a player and will no longer remain on the sidelines.

It doesn't suprise me that you and others here are continuing to repeat the "cost" mantra in weak support of your beloved HD DVD but you've been continually wrong about that over the years in these threads, just as you were wrong over the past holiday quarter...

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6517192.html

Quote:

"One of the things you see in the NPD data for this fourth quarter was that even with a $100 premium, BD set-tops outsold HD set-tops in December," said Sanders.

...and just as you are wrong about it now. I tend to lend credence to Kevin Tsujihara's statement...

Quote:

?A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high-definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,? said Kevin Tsujihara, president of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group. ?Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience.

...and certainly lend no credence to your statements whatsoever, as they are chalk full of misinformation, sour grapes, and the refusal of reality.

Moreover, the mass adoption of streaming media is far, far from overtaking the traditional optical storage medium for movies IMO. A HUGE number of folks don't even have broadband, let alone the technical prowress nor patience for waiting for a movie to download into a volatile medium that is a hard drive. Will downloads become the norm in the future? Possibly, but there is certainly no guarantee, nor is there credence in thinking that Blu-ray has missed any type of "window of opportunity" as downloads have a looooooooong way to go. If anything, it is more likely that the HDM is now saved due to Warner's very sound decision in going Blu...you know...based off of what the actual consumer wanted rather that selling out to Microsoft and Toshiba.

Quote:

The new Toshiba strategy to lower hardware prices even further after the Warner announcement seems to be working according the Amazon sales ranking. It has also stimulated second hand market on ebay as all HD-DVD releases are available at a discount price of $8 to $15 for a HDM title.

Oh boy, here we go again with the "Amazon Sales Ranking" . Have you've not been disproven enough on the fallacy that is the Amazon data? Obviously not I take it.

Furthermore, all your howling in regards to eBay is true, but not for the reasons you cite. No, indeed the eBay news is MORE bad news for HD DVD in that HD DVD owners are selling off their hardware to those poor suckers who don't know any better.

Quote:

It's entertaining to watch this thread as all the blu-ray fanboys gloat, but all the damage that was done by Warner's news is to the HDM market as a whole. The HDM market growth has halted and may lead to shrinkage. For someone like me, an AV/HDM hobbyist, will keep making discrete purchases on the new releases but less frequently. Not because I'm resisting to purchase a Blu-Ray player, but because I can't find a fully featured combo/blu-ray player for under $500 or combo pc drive for $100.

The Warner news has caused inevitable unity in one format--Blu-ray. The only damage it has caused is to the apparent HD DVD proponents pocketbooks, and they only have to look as far as themselves for being mislead and ignoring the data for all of 2007.

And good luck on finding that "fully featured combo/Blu-ray player" for under $500 as it appears even Samsung has this to say...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...-blu-ray.phtml

Quote:

Samsung has further added to Toshiba's woes at CES in Las Vegas by confirming to Pocket-lint its plans for HD DVD.

Anthony Marbella, Chief Marketing Officer for Samsung has told us that Samsung "Will support all formats, but with the news from Warner Bros we will put an emphasis on Blu-ray. We will make what consumers want".

The news could mean the end of the line for the company's Duo player that allows users to watch both HD DVD and Blu-ray movies from the same unit.

When asked whether consumers wanted the Blu-ray over HD DVD, Marbella simply responded:

"Yes, especially with the shift in content to come."

But hey, maybe you can get this one--the BD-U5500--as solace when it reaches your price point in about a year or so...or simply buy a cheaper Blu-ray player with more content available to you, and possibly take advantage of the potential HD DVD to Blu-ray crossover promotions Bill Hunt elluded too.
  • Reply 729 of 2639
    HD DVD is dead (BD/HD DVD sales comparison part deux)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XQP1RQSyo
  • Reply 730 of 2639
    Bill Hunt's Rumor Mill...

Quote:

Things are not looking good for HD-DVD, folks. Based on the reports we're getting from sources at the studios and in the retail industry, this format war is all but over. Frankly, we'd be surprised if HD-DVD still a viable commercial home video format much past the end of the year.

Word is that Best Buy has already decided not only to heavily favor Blu-ray in their stores, but they're actually planning the phase out of HD-DVD by the end of the 2nd quarter of 2008, so they can focus entirely on selling Blu-ray to their customers in the 2008 holiday season with a clear message. These sales you're seeing on HD-DVD hardware are - from the retailer's perspective - about clearing them off the shelves. Don't look for them to restocked. The exact timing of this will depend on sales, and HD-DVD software may be stocked for a while longer to service those customers who have already purchased players. But despite the retailer's public statements, which help Toshiba save face, privately they know which way the wind is blowing.

So too do Universal and Paramount. Paramount is expected to announce a return to Blu-ray Disc by mid-year, if not sooner. They reportedly want to give Toshiba some time to sell out current inventory, and to make their own preparations. Paramount at least has done all the ramp-up work needed to release on Blu-ray, as they've already done so as recently as last year.

Universal's position is a little more perilous, on the other hand, as they're more than two years behind all the other major studios in terms of Blu-ray development. Word is their HD-DVD video encodes can't simply be ported over to Blu-ray, as most of them "aren't good enough." So the digital film masters all have to be re-encoded, which is a lot of work. Sources are telling us that one of the things Universal is hoping to negotiate with the BDA is help doing just that. Nevertheless, expect Universal to have at least announced a decision to support Blu-ray going forward by the end of the year, if not sooner.

As for Toshiba's statements that they haven't yet lost the format war, again this is all about saving face. Yes, Toshiba hasn't officially waved the white flag... but it seems as if the rest of the industry is waving it for them. So while the fat lady may not quite be singing yet, let's put it this way: She's already standing out there on stage, all gussied up nice, with the band warming up, the spotlights lit and the curtains about to rise.

Frankly, Toshiba is going to have to create their own branded Blu-ray Disc player/recorder for the Japanese market or risk being left completely in the dust in its home territory, which is now 90% dominated by Blu-ray (and recorders are the preferred device in that market). So Toshiba's smartest move, at least in our opinion, would not only be to quickly embrace Blu-ray... but to move fast to create the best and most affordable Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo player to sell here in the States. Right now, the available Combo players tend to be buggy and cost over $700. If Toshiba were to make a truly reliable one available for less than $500 in time for the holidays... they MIGHT actually move some units to early adopters and enthusiasts that have already purchased a lot of HD-DVD titles, but who will be looking to get into Blu-ray later this year. Guess we'll see.

Stay tuned...

• Reply 731 of 2639
    Removed, missed vinea's post.
  • Reply 732 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Not to get you started all over again Elixir, but this one's for you...

Inside Source Reveal the Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" Failures

You have been slow lately. You are a page late and a buck short on that one. But, can you imagine if MS didn't rush the 360 to market? It was smart, they would be toast right now otherwise.
  • Reply 733 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    They did pretty much get that first year of sales to themselves with only the Gamecube and PS2 to contend with. You really can't fault them for that. I'm not defending their sales of a flaky/unreliable console but if they had to contend with the Wii and PS3 at launch, the numbers would probably be a lot different now.

Then again, had Sony pulled BR from the PS3 spec sheet, they might have been able to sell consoles cheaper and gone head-to-head with MS probably steamrolling them in the console wars. In that reality though, BR probably would *not* have gained as much traction as it did and we'd be looking at HD DVD as the HD format of choice.
  • Reply 734 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

You have been slow lately. You are a page late and a buck short on that one. But, can you imagine if MS didn't rush the 360 to market? It was smart, they would be toast right now otherwise.

Can't catch everything...
  • Reply 735 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Not to the extent at which you claim. The price discrepancy you speak of is merely ~$100. This will hardly damn the HDM to "remain among niche enthusiasts." If anything, your whole paragraph flies in the face of logic, as a CLEAR winner in this format war in Blu-ray will allow the currently niche status of the HDM to explode, as consumers won't have fear or the confusion in buying a player and will no longer remain on the sidelines.

Really.... the HDM market size is booming and started to take sales off DVD? This would be a good news, if true.. Is there a sign/press that indicates the mass consumers on the sideline started grabbing Blu-Ray players off the shelf? As you have much faith in the Blu-Ray format, what's still keeping you on the sideline? You're probably most informed Blu-Ray supporting sideliner for last three years(?). Obviously, you still have reservation about the future of Blu-Ray as HDM optical disc format? Or is it because of the mere ~$100 extra cost on the Blu-Ray player..... which the Blu-Ray player price is supposed to be $200?

Once again, wake me up if Bill Hunt predicts when the HDM market is about to explode. I want to take shot of this "big bang" event with my new SLR. I do like good fireworks.
  • Reply 736 of 2639
    During the Giants/GB game I noticed commericals for Blu Ray. No specific player or company was mentioned, it was just a commercial touting "The Future is Blu" or somesuch. Have these commercials been airing all along or is this very recent?
  • Reply 737 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

They did pretty much get that first year of sales to themselves with only the Gamecube and PS2 to contend with. You really can't fault them for that. I'm not defending their sales of a flaky/unreliable console but if they had to contend with the Wii and PS3 at launch, the numbers would probably be a lot different now.

Then again, had Sony pulled BR from the PS3 spec sheet, they might have been able to sell consoles cheaper and gone head-to-head with MS probably steamrolling them in the console wars. In that reality though, BR probably would *not* have gained as much traction as it did and we'd be looking at HD DVD as the HD format of choice.

you do everythign in your power to put the ps3 at some kind of superior position with "ifs" and "buts" and all this mumbo jumbo. the 1 fault the 360 has is its reliability issues. in all other realms it is the superior gaming machine (content, live play, market place, arcade)

the dreamcast was a great gaming machine back when it was released. it had a great line up of launch titles. it launched before the ps2 and sold quick. yet, with all of sony's lavish promises of its "emotion" engine and all those die hard fanboys that believe every hype PR spin given by the company that when the ps2 finally came out the dreamcast died.

how come this isn't happening now? the ps2 had ZERO games for the first year compared to the dreamcast but it still smoked everyone. without the japanese market the ps3 would be getting worked hardcore, way more than what they are now.

coincidently the one thing that hurt them at launch is keeping them alive now- bluray.

and microsoft knows this.
  • Reply 738 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

you do everythign in your power to put the ps3 at some kind of superior position with "ifs" and "buts" and all this mumbo jumbo. the 1 fault the 360 has is its reliability issues. in all other realms it is the superior gaming machine (content, live play, market place, arcade)

the dreamcast was a great gaming machine back when it was released. it had a great line up of launch titles. it launched before the ps2 and sold quick. yet, with all of sony's lavish promises of its "emotion" engine and all those die hard fanboys that believe every hype PR spin given by the company that when the ps2 finally came out the dreamcast died.

how come this isn't happening now? the ps2 had ZERO games for the first year compared to the dreamcast but it still smoked everyone. without the japanese market the ps3 would be getting worked hardcore, way more than what they are now.

coincidently the one thing that hurt them at launch is keeping them alive now- bluray.

and microsoft knows this.

I wasn't looking for a fight here. The 360 at release was garbage. The RROD failures and lack of replacements for machines that failed during that holiday season are well documented. They've improved greatly although failures are still a reality (much less now, but still there).

My point was, what if Sony had concentrated on just getting the PS3 out in time to go head to head with the 360? They'd have most certainly had to make some sacrifices with regard to BR inclusion but it would have been interesting to see them go head to head. Had that happened, BR in the US at least, may have lost out solidly to HD DVD.

I'm not touting Sony propaganda or waving the flag for either console. I'm not the one in the screamfest over who's got the best games or highest framerates. My post was strictly meant to make the point about the BR vs. DVD issue and how the PS3 helped push the format.

Save the "fanboy" comments. I play some games but I use my PS3 mostly for movie viewing.

I'm not the droid you're looking for <insert wave of hand and Jedi mind trick thingy here>.
  • Reply 739 of 2639
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    There're rumors floating around that the 40GB PS3 could drop to $299 very soon!
  • Reply 740 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

There're rumors floating around that the 40GB PS3 could drop to $299 very soon!

Link??