Apple needs a 14-15 inch Macbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think its ridiculous that Apple doesn't have a consumer priced notebook with a screen larger than 13 inches.

I would like a laptop I can also use as my desktop, like I currently do with my 14 inch ibook. 14 inches is the smallest I feel comfortable with using daily.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see a larger Macbook. I think it would sell extremely well and is the one glaring ommission in Apple's laptop line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    with a better video card $1500 on board video NO WAY!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    15 inch, same resolution screen as 13, exactly the same internals, same price.

That's what they need to attract simple, not so tech savvy folk that wnat a laptop to browse the internets and their mails from the couch.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Yup, the same internals would be fine with me, I just want a bigger screen.

At the very least the $200 more expensive black model should have a 14 inch screen.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    No. What they need is a 13.3'' MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    No. What they need is a series of Apple slate tablets, with multi-touch & stylus capabilities…

8.x", 13.3", 15.4" & 17" models (S, M, L & XL)…

I'll take one S & one XL, thanks…!

;^p
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

No. What they need is a series of Apple slate tablets, with multi-touch & stylus capabilities?

8.x", 13.3", 15.4" & 17" models (S, M, L & XL)?

I'll take one S & one XL, thanks?!

;^p

Enough with the tablet requests. I've only seen one tablet used in a real life situation. By a doctor. Who else would you need one?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

Enough with the tablet requests. I've only seen one tablet used in a real life situation. By a doctor. Who else would you need one?

Artists, one of Apple's largest markets. I mean, it is one of the few fields where Macs are the standard. Some places wont even hire graphic designers or other artists if they don't have experience using OSX. My brother, an electrical engineer, uses one. I have seen them used by clients at the planning and civil engineering firm I work for and my bosses have expressed desires for one but the price needs to come down first. Some of the contractors we work with use tablets and love them. So that is a little bit more than just medical professionals.

Just because you don't see a need for it doesn't mean there is no demand for it. I know a lot of artists I went to college with who would love a tablet Mac. I mean, sometimes we want to work on things on the go without having to bring a laptop AND a wacom device. I know I would love it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    If anything, I think Apple needs a 12" Air or MacBook Pro much more than they need a second 15" or 17" laptop. If the MacBook Air were 12" I would sell a kidney to get one.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    There are tons of inexpensive 14-15 inch Windows Laptops available. I still think it is a glaring ommission from Apples lineup.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Man, the poll question is loaded. With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

Apple's tried the 12" iBook and 14" iBook before. They felt comfortable leaving those who absolutely needed the small size or big size behind and went with the mass of customers in between at 13.3". The only way they'll go back is if they see they can make a profit all around (ie, not cannibalize higher end models, increase marketshare etc).
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

There are tons of inexpensive 14-15 inch Windows Laptops available. I still think it is a glaring ommission from Apples lineup.

There are tons of huge, clunky, heavy, poorly built inexpensive 14-15 inch Windows laptops out there, none of which are anywhere near as good as the 13.3" MacBook.

Don't you remember the 14" iBook? It was a total and utter flop. Apple DOES NOT want to make that mistake again.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

15 inch, same resolution screen as 13, exactly the same internals, same price.

'same price' that's where it gets difficult. A bigger LCD will be more expensive (especially if it has a higher resolution than the 13" one).

And I don't see Apple cutting their margin to keep the price the same.

But once it is more expensive, people might already go for a basic specs 15" MacBook Pro...

And that's exactly the point! Apple does not want a lineup which covers all bases. It wants a lineup which 'upsells' people to higher models - which will Apple earn more money.

People are deliberately made to consider a 15" MacBook Pro if the 13" screen doesn't cut it for them. From Apple's earnings point of view there is no reason for having a 15" MacBook model. They want you to go for a MacBook Pro.

Think about it:

If only a few people bite the bullet and reach deeper into their pockets for a 15" MacBook Pro Apple already earns a lot more than the few measly bucks they could make extra on a 15" MacBook model. They'd have to sell a lot of 15" MacBooks to make up for the lost earnings from those few who previously spent more going for the 15" MacBook Pro.

Apple probably did the maths and found out that they would earn more not offering a 15" MacBook and having a few reach deeper into their pockets instead.

Harsh to say, but from Apple's point of view it would be a mistake to introduce a 15" MacBook.

Their lineup is complete as it currently is.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Man, the poll question is loaded. With the gigantic variation in user wants and needs out there, Apple needs to have a 3" iPhone, 3" iPod touch, 3.8" iPod touch, 3.8" iPhone, 5" iPhone, 6" iPod touch, 7" OS X tablet, 8" OS X tablet, 9" MacBook halfbook, 10" OS X tablet, 10" MacBook halfbook, 11" MacBook air, 12" MacBook, 12" MacBook Pro, 13.3" MacBook, 13.3" MacBook air, 14.1" MacBook, 15" MacBook, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 17" MacBook Pro, and 19" MacBook HD, and 21" MacBook Enormous (with 2560x1600 pixels!).

Apple's tried the 12" iBook and 14" iBook before. They felt comfortable leaving those who absolutely needed the small size or big size behind and went with the mass of customers in between at 13.3". The only way they'll go back is if they see they can make a profit all around (ie, not cannibalize higher end models, increase marketshare etc).

Well the truth of the matter is you can't please all the people all the time. It would be great if they could completely custom tailor computers for everyone that is exactly the size, power, input, etc they need. It just wouldn't be smart though, because it would push costs through the roof.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

No. What they need is a 13.3'' MacBook Pro.

I agree, I think they'd sell more 13" MBPs at the MBA price than 15" Macbooks.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Students. Typing class notes stink. I would love just to write them out.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Well the truth of the matter is you can't please all the people all the time. It would be great if they could completely custom tailor computers for everyone that is exactly the size, power, input, etc they need. It just wouldn't be smart though, because it would push costs through the roof.

In a way, I wasn't being completely sarcastic. Apple, who is amazingly the number 3 or 4 computer maker in terms of units, has a niche lineup. They have an incomplete low-end computer (Mac mini), an all-in-one in the mid-range, and a server platform as desktop in the high end for the desktops. For the laptops, they have a mid-range MacBook, a high-end MBP, and now have an ultra-portable sandwiched in between. The don't have a low-end laptop! That's it. If Apple were Gateway, Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP, whomever, they'd have 10 different desktop models and 10 different laptop models to cater to as many people as possible. It speaks to their marketing and product to have sold so many.

Still, in the end, if they want higher and higher marketshare (10%, 20%, ...), they have no choice but to diversify product lines. They should have multiple variants of the MBA, MB, and MBP that span the entire market segment spectrum. So, a 21 inch MBP could be possible as well as a 10" MB.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

In a way, I wasn't being completely sarcastic. Apple, who is amazingly the number 3 or 4 computer maker in terms of units, has a niche lineup. They have an incomplete low-end computer (Mac mini), an all-in-one in the mid-range, and a server platform as desktop in the high end for the desktops. For the laptops, they have a mid-range MacBook, a high-end MBP, and now have an ultra-portable sandwiched in between. The don't have a low-end laptop! That's it. If Apple were Gateway, Sony, Toshiba, Dell, HP, whomever, they'd have 10 different desktop models and 10 different laptop models to cater to as many people as possible. It speaks to their marketing and product to have sold so many.

Still, in the end, if they want higher and higher marketshare (10%, 20%, ...), they have no choice but to diversify product lines. They should have multiple variants of the MBA, MB, and MBP that span the entire market segment spectrum. So, a 21 inch MBP could be possible as well as a 10" MB.

Well, Apple's "mid-range" (and I agree with that assessment) MacBook is priced cheaper than any other comparable "Mid Range" machine out there, and appeals to many people who might otherwise go "low-end". All in all, it's a good business position. Throwing in a "cheapbook" would seriously affect sales of the MacBook, and make Apple seem more like a company that releases low-end products.