Will Safari be available for PC's?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Not that I want that...but rather curious whether it's Apple's intention to compete against other browsers universally or if just in it's own platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er... well, the rendering system (KHTML) is open source, so someone could theoretically take that and slap a GUI on it for Windows.

But no, Safari is a Cocoa app. Cocoa isn't on Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Unless Apple charge a fee for Safari, it makes no sense for them to develop one for Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Safari, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Keynote will be available for PCs the day Mac OS X is available for PCs. Which is probably never.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 7
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Just a thought.. half of iLife is Cocoa. If Apple felt it necessary or feasible for them to sell iLife to PC users (the way they sold iPods to PC users), it would be possible for them to do it, since there is (or was) a Cocoa runtime for Windows. It wouldn't be too hard, I would think, to port the remaining Carbon apps..

Not that I would advocate such a thing, but it does remain a possibility, if not a far out one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    The main point of these apps is to encourage people to use them in OSX. They are glorified marketing tools for Macs and the Operating System, which is why they'd never be available for OS9 or Windows. Their thinking is, if people want thesse cool apps, they're going to have to do it on a Mac running OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Without Quartz, wouldn't some of these apps lose a lot of their appeal?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    In that they wouldn't work ... yes.