Apple Notebooks too expensive?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know that there are many opinions on this subject. I am a long term apple user but just recently bought a HP 15 inch laptop for my wife as it was $1000 cheaper than a similarly configured laptop from Apple. Apple needs to cut the prices of all their notebooks by $300-500. Apple notebooks should all come with 2 GB RAM standard. I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for the Apple Leopard OS but Apple needs to drop prices or dramatically upgrade their notebooks for the same price. Now that Apple sales numbers are up, the prices should fall by economies of scale (are you listening Steve)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Let's see the numbers.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhsurg View Post

I know that there are many opinions on this subject. I am a long term apple user but just recently bought a HP 15 inch laptop for my wife as it was $1000 cheaper than a similarly configured laptop from Apple. Apple needs to cut the prices of all their notebooks by $300-500. Apple notebooks should all come with 2 GB RAM standard. I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for the Apple Leopard OS but Apple needs to drop prices or dramatically upgrade their notebooks for the same price. Now that Apple sales numbers are up, the prices should fall by economies of scale (are you listening Steve)?

Almost any computer that Apple produces is usually more expensive than what you will find in the PC world. A $1000 difference between laptop seems rather high, but I have seen some really great deals offered by other companies from time to time.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    The problem is not so much the prices of the current machines (excepting the fact that the $1099 MacBook still has only a combo optical drive - that is just a joke), it is the severe lack of flexibility in the line-up.

I bet that the HP laptop you just bought is the equivalent of what a 15" MacBook would be if it existed.

Apple should:

Employ lower-end Core 2 Duo and Celeron CPUs to enable a lowering of the entry-level price of the MacBook (i.e., maintain all current configs at current price (except bump the combo drive to superdrive), but add additional cheaper configs with slower CPUs).

Introduce 15" and 17" options for the MacBook for all configs, allowing mix and match of CPU, RAM, HDD capacity and screen size.

Introduce a 13" option for the MacBook Pro, and again allow mix and match of CPU, RAM, HDD capacity and screen size (unlike what they do now where they tie max screen size to max CPU).