Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 198
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Like really. I think people are getting a bit touchy.

You've been here long enough, I'm sure, to have noticed that people really do say absurdly stupid things (the whole xMac business, being disappointed every Macworld because the announcements are underwhelming, and many more). It gets tiresome, does it not?

And as I said, I think I'm in a petty mood today.
  • Reply 22 of 198
    When are the Macbooks getting refreshed with new processor speeds, LCD screen, and new multi-touch trackpad?
  • Reply 23 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If you want semantics, a perfectly acceptable usage of "multi" is to indicate "more than one." Do you understand what "semantic" means?

I'm well aware of the definitions of multiple and semantic. If one refers to the MB, MBP and MBA as all being multi-touch it may be confusing to many people. Hence the reason I choose dual-touch as an alternative term to help differentiate between the simple multi-touch gesturing of the MB and MBP and the advanced multi-touch gesturing of the MBA. I apologize if I wasn't clear.
  • Reply 24 of 198
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You should also note that the "multi-touch" trackpads have been in Apple laptops since the PowerBook G4 1.67ghz series. Two-finger scrolling is ubiquitous on Apple these days.

I wonder if Apple will include it on previous laptop generations, or if it will charge a $20 upgrade fee.

Hardware wise Is it the same trackpad is the question. Maybe it doesn't work in those older ones, maybe it will.. Who knows?
  • Reply 25 of 198
    Any idea on price? Same as before or a tad higher?
  • Reply 26 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Personally, I would be more surprized if Apple DIDN'T release multi-touch trackpads in the MBP...

Me too. When Apple makes a change like this, it usually spreads to related products on the next revision.

Quote:

Pun intended?

Not intended, but I can pretend that I did.
  • Reply 27 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

i was wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 28 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

If I recall correctly the Penryn CPUs that are proposed to replace the current Meroms are the exact same pricepoint from Intel in batches of 1000. Typically Apple doesn't raise the price unless the chips cost more or there are other things added, like with the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 198
    So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

I would appreciate some advice

Thanks!
  • Reply 30 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

So Im thinking about buying a Macbook in the next few days, because to me the difference between a midrange Macbook and a 15" Pro is 2 inches of screen space and a better graphics card for an extra 1000 dollars. Since i dont work on/play with video games or produce 3D stuff, paying all that extra money doesnt seem worth it for my personal needs (graphic design, audio, some video stuff). But, with this rumor circulating should I wait to see if the current Pros get a price drop?

Thanks!

When a machine I am currently considering hasn't been updated in over 6 months, I usually wait for the next release so that I can make a decision between the most recent versions. Apple rarely lets models float for that long without some sort of bump. That being said, I doubt the price point of the new MacBook Pros will be much below the current ones, even if you strip them down.

I have both the MBP 15" and the MB Black (don't ask) - they are both great machines, but I absolutely love the LCD on the MBP, and you can tell when the MB is struggling without a dedicated GPU. That being said, you should consider size issues as well. I suggest you go the local retail store and really spend some time with each before you make a decision. They are pretty different in terms of screen real estate and carrying size. I would say for most people who aren't doing production work that requires a GPU, or doing science that requires the faster procs, the MB is a better all around machine for the price. Just make sure to put enough (2GB or more) RAM in it...
  • Reply 31 of 198
    Let's hope they fix the biggest problem with the MBP, the screen resolution
  • Reply 32 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

i hope no one bought a new MBP today or within the past several days/weeks.

=]

I just bought one this saturday. Guess I'm going to return it in 14 days and take a 10% hit.
  • Reply 33 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

Thanks!

I ordered a refurbished 2.0GHz core 2 duo macbook for $850, spent $100 on memory, and $200 for the fast 2.5" seagate HD. I use logic 8 for recording live performances and it never misses a beat. It boots tiger in 15 seconds! If you don't need the screen real estate or the video card, the macbook is a very capable machine!

This is a biased opinion because I only have the macbook and not the MBP.
  • Reply 34 of 198
    i'm glad to read this article. i was waiting for the Expo to swap my Dell for a MBP, hoping Jobs was going to announce a new update. i was disappointed when he did not and am now waiting for a refreshed MBP.

side question - does anyone have any advice about going with a matte or glossy screen? I'll be doing some minor work with final cut (probably express) for my church. it won't be anything super demanding as far as production quality is concerned.

thanks for your help.
  • Reply 35 of 198
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    My expectation for the next MBP release is:

- Processor bump

- Touchpad upgrade

- Maybe upgrade the GPU to something new that people will complain about but will beat the holy shot out of my GMA 950 in my Macbook even harder

- Maybe an SSD option, but until some sort of economy of scale can develop to help lower prices it'll be a seldom-selected option for some time to come. I saw another machine released with a 64 GB SSD offered (a Fujitsu I think) and the upgrade cost ~$900 so Apple's not really gouging on that particular technology

The MBP's case design/form factor may be a bit old but it doesn't look dated (not to me at least) and it works well enough.
  • Reply 36 of 198
    I think this article is great news. If Apple has allowed details of tjhe refresh to be leaked, then it means they've heard us all griping about the lack of MBPs at Macworld. Thank you Apple.

I am sure these machines are going to be great. i can hardly wait:
    • Generous 15" LED screen

• Gesture touchpad

• New keyboard

• Plenty of ports

• A bit thinner

• A bit lighter

• Blue Ray DVD player option

• SSD Flash memory otion

• Longer battery life

It's gonna sell like hot cakes. Way to go Apple. And thanks for listening.

As someone else said: MBP + improved industrial design + new touchpad = purchase.
  • Reply 37 of 198
    the NEW multi-touch trackpad is awesome; but is it possible to replace my existing touch pad in MBP with the new one
  • Reply 38 of 198
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I might just be getting one of these Apple

I hope you deliver
  • Reply 39 of 198
    hmm... im in quite a predicament right now.. i bought a macbook pro about 9 days ago because i needed it for school and i had sold my old macbook before i got my macbook pro. i am still within the 14 day return period and was wondering if i should return my macbook pro and wait computerless until they come out with the new one? i had opened the dvi-vga adaptor from the packaged seal and everything, would they even take macbook pro back even if i opened the packaged stuff it came with(dvi/vga adaptor, front row remote)?
  • Reply 40 of 198
    a 15" LED MBP with a 2.6GHz Penryn, Multi-Touch Pad, Blu-Ray drive & GeForce 8700 would make me giddy