Nearly 100 fixes planned for Apple's second Leopard update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. is in the latter development stages of what could possibly be its most significant 'dot release' of Mac OS X ever.

Due out next month as Mac OS X 10.5.2, the update will deliver to users of the company's Leopard operating system nearly 100 code corrections and enhancements, people familiar with the software say.

Among them are twenty new fixes that turned up as part of Mac OS X 10.5.2 build 9C16, which was released privately to developers during last week's Macworld Expo. Some of the more prominent fixes in that build target problems with resuming Time Machine backups and previewing PDF, image and mail attachments.

Since seeding the first pre-release copies of the Leopard update in mid-December, Apple has asked that its developer community test the release quite broadly. The latest build arrived without exception, maintaining a list of thirty seven core focus areas that swapped out an emphasis on 802.11 wireless testing for that of Active Directory.

Mac OS X 10.5.2, which in its current incarnation includes just two known issues, will also deliver support for Apple's just-announced Time Capsule backup appliance and include a revised version of the company's "Stacks" desktop feature.

Apple is also simultaneously testing a similar update for users of Leopard Server, which currently carries a list of nineteen core focus areas and includes over 30 specific code corrections.

Delta -- or bare bones -- versions of both Mac OS X 10.5.2 client and server are some of the heftiest yet out of Apple for a "dot release," weighing in at 450.8MB and 454.5MB, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    This is good news except I was expecting this for January but February is right around the corner. The main thing is that they get this right rather than having to immediately release a patch for 10.5.2. I can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Delta -- or bare bones -- versions of both Mac OS X 10.5.2 client and server are some of the heftiest yet out of Apple for a "dot release," weighing in at 450.8MB and 454.5MB, respectively.

Mac OS X, version 10.5 was a premature release, just like Windows Vista. When will they stop passing off beta software for the real deal?

• Reply 3 of 103
    Hopefully they'll finally fix the Macbook wireless problems
  • Reply 4 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Mac OS X, version 10.5 was a premature release, just like Windows Vista. When will they stop passing off beta software for the real deal?

When marketing works more closely with Engineering and can have better timeline projections that also keep the interest in Wall Street at an optimum level.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    Hopefully it will fix the crashing of iPhoto and iTunes. My iPhone is messed up because iTunes crashed on my iMac G5 in the middle of updating the iPhone. So it crashes every time I go to restore the iPhone. I will have to wait until my powerbook is back from repair to fix it. GRRR.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

When marketing works more closely with Engineering and can have better timeline projections that also keep the interest in Wall Street at an optimum level.

So that's never then. \
  • Reply 7 of 103
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I hope they fix crashing in all programs

and Disk Utility It doesn't work at all!

• Reply 8 of 103
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Generalization. Leopard seems pretty darn solid to me. Your experience may be different, but don't include me in your conclusion of Leopard. It's a very high-quality product. Not beta.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Hopefully it will fix the crashing of iPhoto and iTunes. My iPhone is messed up because iTunes crashed on my iMac G5 in the middle of updating the iPhone. So it crashes every time I go to restore the iPhone. I will have to wait until my powerbook is back from repair to fix it. GRRR.

Have you tried re-applying the 10.5.1 combo update, iTunes update, etc.?
  • Reply 10 of 103
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I hope they fix crashing in all programs

and Disk Utility It doesn't work at all!

I've never had a program crash on me. Seems to me like you need to look closer at your particular setup.
  • Reply 11 of 103
    I just started using Time Machine this weekend, and since I have, the Mac won't stay asleep when I put it to sleep... even if the Time Machine drive is off. I hope that's a fixed issue in this one. Very little point in having a sleep feature if the machine's got insomnia.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    Yeah, great, support for Time Capsule, Apple's stab-me-in-the-back-for-buying-an-Airport-to-use-with-NAS. Wonderful. Can't wait.

Where my general NAS support with Time Machine!?
  • Reply 13 of 103
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgarlock View Post

Hopefully they'll finally fix the Macbook wireless problems

Yeah, I hope they will too. I don't lose connectivity often but when I do it is bothersome.

When 10.5.2 comes out I'll not rush to update though. When I do I'll finally take a look at setting up Time Machine. Sounds like they're working-out some major bugs and I'd rather wait until then to start using it.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I've never had a program crash on me. Seems to me like you need to look closer at your particular setup.

It does seem to be dependent on setup. Though Disk Utility doesn't work on either the iMac or Powerbook. But, the crashing apps is only on the iMac. My Powerbook never had iTunes crash or anything. It was pretty stable. But, the Logic Board had decided to go all screwy and I was forced to send it in.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    With geekbench 2, both of my machines performed about 150pts SLOWER after the Leopard upgrade. Can I feel any real world difference? No. Just curious if this is consistent with other AI readers.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

It does seem to be dependent on setup. Though Disk Utility doesn't work on either the iMac or Powerbook. But, the crashing apps is only on the iMac. My Powerbook never had iTunes crash or anything. It was pretty stable. But, the Logic Board had decided to go all screwy and I was forced to send it in.

The most annoying bug is when I try to use a table in iWork, it always crashes.

And when I try to run Disk Utility to fix the problems, it just sits there and says 1 minute and never finishes, or starts for that matter...

• Reply 17 of 103
    Quote:

I agree with 'coolfactor' that your statements are generalizations. I've been using Leopard for day-to-day work and have found it very usable and stable. Any comparison with Vista is unwarranted unless you're prepared to list out all your issues with Leopard, which is the only way you can give your statements any credibility.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

So, never. Crap.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I feel bad for you people and all your problems.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    I agree that for the most part, Leopard works really well for me on a number of machines, including Powerbook G4's, Mac Mini G4's, iMac G5's, MacBooks, and my MacBook Pro. However, there are definitely a number of things that need to be fixed. Specifically the AEBS firmware issues that cause AirDisk not to work when a computer sleeps; Finder Issues with umounting AFP volumes; etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Time Machine backups to AirDisks once the firmware is fixed. Oh, and the stacks fix will be welcome.

I'm just glad Apple is being pretty responsive to fix these issues. Each point release is better and better.