Nearly 100 fixes planned for Apple's second Leopard update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I hope they fix crashing in all programs

and Disk Utility It doesn't work at all!

Sound like there may be something wrong your end, disk utility works fine on 5 Macs I run ranging from iBook G4 through a Dual G5 to a Intel MacBook. No crashes either. I do get the occasional refusal to quit.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sound like there may be something wrong your end, disk utility works fine on 5 Macs I run ranging from iBook G4 through a Dual G5 to a Intel MacBook. No crashes either. I do get the occasional refusal to quit.

It doesn't crash, it just doesn't work. I've heard a few other complaints of this and its the same on my iBook and my Powerbook.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    ****Please consider fixing this, too****

This long-standing bug persists from inception in 10.4.10 into 10.5.1. Often characterized as a bug only on Intel Macs, I can assure all that my dual 867 MHz MDD is afflicted, too. Major symptoms: When attempting to read a compact flash card in either of two different card readers, the system will mount the card as a drive and allow navigation to the folder that contains images (Raw or JPG - does not matter). System shows several thumbnail images, but then freezes. Cannot restart finder or do anything except a hard system shut-down.

Attempts to open folder from Photoshop file dialog fails similarly.

Hope post here is more effective than post on Apple forums.

Steve
  • Reply 24 of 103
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Apple will stop marketing / releasing software sooner then they should , when we stop asking them to!

We want the latest and greatest, and we want it NOW! Well, sometimes, now is to soon, but, well, we want it now, so here it is.

They should do a better job of keeping things secret, and then they won't have us excited over something, until it's time to be excited. A bit of a jump is fine, just not months.

With ALL of the different software applications out there and the different combinations of each of the these - it's no wonder, there are issues to some degree.

I use this software, along with this application, and with these printers ?

You use these applications, and this other printer, and 4 different applications, and someone else uses, well you get the idea.

Being a beta tester for several companies, and seeing that often I have no problems with a new up-date or version of software, but other beta testers do, makes it very clear the difficulty that software manufactures face.

Which by the way, is whay I ALMOST always, wait until the software has been around for 6 months to a year, before I install it. It's pretty rare that a software up-date comes out, that I MUST install.

Skip
  • Reply 25 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgarlock View Post

Hopefully they'll finally fix the Macbook wireless problems

I have no problems ... what are yours?
  • Reply 26 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

Yeah, great, support for Time Capsule, Apple's stab-me-in-the-back-for-buying-an-Airport-to-use-with-NAS. Wonderful. Can't wait.

Where my general NAS support with Time Machine!?

You want NAS support? We'll GIVE you NAS support!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83434
  • Reply 27 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Mac OS X, version 10.5 was a premature release, just like Windows Vista. When will they stop passing off beta software for the real deal?

Pretty odd conclusion - considering that > 80% of Leopard users are 'very happy' with their product vs something like 20% for Vista.

No OS is perfect, but Leopard seems to have a lot more positive feedback than any other.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Hopefully it will fix the crashing of iPhoto and iTunes. My iPhone is messed up because iTunes crashed on my iMac G5 in the middle of updating the iPhone. So it crashes every time I go to restore the iPhone. I will have to wait until my powerbook is back from repair to fix it. GRRR.

i hear they are fixing memory leaks with Rosatta (required by G5's) so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Issues with Leapard.

1.No hierarical collapsing folders in the dock, I have had that feature since 8.6 or something (with the folder under the Apple menue)

2.The Document icon is less distinct than in 10.4

3. The Program folder Icon is less distinct than in 10.4

4. The program folder incon is now "Adobe Acrobat" since installing Acrobat

5. Firewall settings are now more hidden,

6. Scanners....

7. The brilliant feature of TimeMacine to run backups on any >800 MHz G4 but then require core animation capable graphic card if you want to actually recover anyhing. That is so sweet on the G4 towers and the G4 powerbooks and iMacs.

I have had all X sine public beta and they all have been big strides forward up to and including 10.4, all eagerly awaited and full with usefull new features. 10.5 sure have added pretty things and I am sure many under the hood things for multi core CPUs etc. But as far as a usefull GUI it feels on par with 10.2 or 10.1, not way ahead of 10.4
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Mac OS X, version 10.5 was a premature release, just like Windows Vista. When will they stop passing off beta software for the real deal?

Both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 are solid! very impressive in my experience.

However apple should call their new "Smart Folders" Dumb Folders because they only can display "name" "Kind" and "Last Opened" ....

Last Opened??? who cares?
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

i hear they are fixing memory leaks with Rosatta (required by G5's) so I wouldn't be surprised.

Rosetta is the PowerPC emulation software for Intel Macs which makes PPC apps able to run on Intel Macs. So I don't see how that would cause iTunes to crash on the iMac using the PowerPC G5.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Rosetta is the PowerPC emulation software for Intel Macs which makes PPC apps able to run on Intel Macs. So I don't see how that would cause iTunes to crash on the iMac using the PowerPC G5.

true. i got ahead of myself.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    I don't know why, but over the 15 years I've owned Macs, several of them have have problems with sleeping properly or at all. Wish Apple would address these issues....
  • Reply 34 of 103
    64 bit vista for everyone (instead of just Pro users) on bootcamp?
  • Reply 35 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

It doesn't crash, it just doesn't work. I've heard a few other complaints of this and its the same on my iBook and my Powerbook.

I strongly recommend anyone with strange problems to run Font Book and validate all fonts in both user and main Libraries. Remove all that show up with yellow and red flags. Leopard seems to be way more picky about fonts and doing this stopped numerous problems I had with applications from both Adobe and also iLife and iWorks.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I don't know why, but over the 15 years I've owned Macs, several of them have have problems with sleeping properly or at all. Wish Apple would address these issues....

Well. I put it down to good old insomnia
  • Reply 37 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post

Issues with Leapard.

1.No hierarical collapsing folders in the dock, I have had that feature since 8.6 or something (with the folder under the Apple menue)

2.The Document icon is less distinct than in 10.4

3. The Program folder Icon is less distinct than in 10.4

4. The program folder incon is now "Adobe Acrobat" since installing Acrobat

5. Firewall settings are now more hidden,

6. Scanners....

7. The brilliant feature of TimeMacine to run backups on any >800 MHz G4 but then require core animation capable graphic card if you want to actually recover anyhing. That is so sweet on the G4 towers and the G4 powerbooks and iMacs.

I have had all X sine public beta and they all have been big strides forward up to and including 10.4, all eagerly awaited and full with usefull new features. 10.5 sure have added pretty things and I am sure many under the hood things for multi core CPUs etc. But as far as a usefull GUI it feels on par with 10.2 or 10.1, not way ahead of 10.4

Leaked screen shots indicate Apple has added this back as a Stacks option, thank the good Lord almighty.

You can browse and spotlight search the back-up folders on a TimeMachine target drive without the eye candy. They're tagged by date and type, so it should be pretty easy to summon up a given version of a given even without traveling into interstellar space.

I have no idea what is going on with the low contrast folder icons. Just one of those Apple things that you go "hmmmmmm......"
  • Reply 38 of 103
    And the update's yours for only $20 dollars... oh wait that was the iPod touch
  • Reply 39 of 103
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

I just started using Time Machine this weekend, and since I have, the Mac won't stay asleep when I put it to sleep... even if the Time Machine drive is off. I hope that's a fixed issue in this one. Very little point in having a sleep feature if the machine's got insomnia.

I have this problem in Tiger too (10.4.11). Both with my MBP and my wife's PPC Mac Mini (moreso with the Mini). The computer only goes to sleep about 1 out of every 3 times you actually tell it to do so.

So I don't think this bug is anything new with Leopard. I believe it's a longstanding problem.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I feel bad for you people and all your problems.

I'm still not updated. Running 10.4.11... looks like I made the right decision.