So is the Mini dead then?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Don't google those. Don't. You'll regret it.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

When you're done with that try "goatse". It makes for a great encore...

You're TERRIBLE.

• Reply 23 of 31
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You're TERRIBLE.

Aw c;mon, I know the first time you see those images you die a little inside. The thing is though, that's the weak parts dying. You come out of it stronger.

• Reply 24 of 31
    lol Fortunately I, unlike others, decided not to see. I have peoples descriptions, and that is plenty for me. No sense in googling something that I know will make me puke!

lol
  • Reply 25 of 31
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

lol Fortunately I, unlike others, decided not to see. I have peoples descriptions, and that is plenty for me. No sense in googling something that I know will make me puke!

lol

You're a prime candidate for being stealthed with a legit looking link.

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

It will scar your cortex...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Every single Mac model is on Santa Rosa with X3100 graphics capability, the Mini isn't. It's always pushed as far down the spec as Apple can make it go without people thinking it's second hand hardware.

A slight CPU bump is not a proper update - it wasn't for the Mac Pro and it wasn't for the Mini.

The Mac Pro has been updated properly (prices, processors, graphics), the iMac got a new design and spec, the MBP has had great updates, the Macbook has been upgraded to Santa Rosa with faster processors. The Mini lies in the corner crying, rejected.

It's getting pretty tiresome really but Apple seems to have made themselves pretty clear they don't want people buying the Mini or anything that doesn't fit into their narrow-minded view of the computer industry. They will probably win in the end but they're going to lose a lot of respect from a lot of fans. Given that their main interest seems to be money, I doubt that will have much of an impact.

That's Apple, get over it. The Mac Pro went over a year beforfe a "Proper" update last year. It was released in the fall of '06, recieved a new high end model in '07 and updated early January of '08. The Mini hasn't been anywhere near that long between updates. Apple has set a pattern of updates aproximatly every 8 to 16 months in recient years and I don't see those times shortening any time soon. As such the Mini will continue to lag behind the MacBook by an upgrade cycle in specs (which lags behind the iMac and Mac Book Pro by about 4-6 months). I dont think that this will change. If this doesn't fit your expectations then buy something else.

Meanwhile the Mini looks like it is selling well, when a model comes up on Apple's refirb page they rarely last through the day and are probably a much better deal than you will find them on eBay for.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I'm sure the Mini will receive a speed boost sometime in the next few months. If they were really embarrassed by it they would have got rid of it by now. It's just not shiny exciting or newsworthy that's all.

If they made the silly move of discontinuing it, I'd expect to see a huge market open up for them on eBay.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    you know, that demise of the Mini has been rumored for about a year now, including Mr. Insider's authoritative prediction last fall. well, it's still on sale today.

in other words, this is all vapor. can we think clearly here?

Apple will always have a product like the Mini. it can not afford to abandon this market segment that needs a relatively low priced 'headless' computer. that would be giving up all hope for a future expanded enterprise market where those are the norm. it would reduce the number of home users trying Macs for the first time that find it the least expensive way to switch from Windows. it's the only Mac that works as an HTPC at all. it helps sell Cinema Displays. now why would Apple throw all this away, getting nothing in exchange whatsoever? i've never read a coherent rationale for that. just a lot of supposed insider chit chat.

and Apple makes good margins on the Mini now since all the production start up costs are fully amortized and the components keep getting cheaper as production runs are extended. it surely makes much more profit per unit sold than AppleTV - whose price Apple just had to chop almost 25% to compete better with other alternatives.

with Mac sales going up a lot overall, i'm sure the Mini is doing ok. it's not like they spend a lot advertising it.

now, Apple may well replace the Mini with a much revised model with a new name even, just like today's 2007 iMacs are a whole lot different than the 2005 version (and the even bigger changes that happened between iMac 2003 and iMac 2005). but the market segment for iMacs has always been the same - the all in one form and upper middle price range. and likewise, the market segment for a Mini type Mac will always be there too -headless form and lower middle price range.

that major makeover could even happen as soon as this year. but more likely is another spec bump, perhaps as soon as the spring. we all have a list of what needs to be upgraded ...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it surely makes much more profit per unit sold than AppleTV - whose price Apple just had to chop almost 25% to compete better with other alternatives.

I'm inclined to disagree. I believe the tv was cut in price because they know they will make extra money from selling more of them, in the same way phones and set top boxes are given away cheap or free. The more they sell, the more chance people will pay for rentals for which they will take a slice.

Who knows, if the rental service is really successful, we may even be looking at $100 a box or free with a rental subscription.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I think the Mini will be quietly dropped in the Autumn to be replaced by the xMac at MWSF 09
  • Reply 31 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I think the Mini will be quietly dropped in the Autumn to be replaced by the xMac at MWSF 09

Nah I don't see it happening now. MW 08 was the only chance they had. By 09, it won't be necessary as they'll have quad core iMacs, Macbooks and MBPs, possibly even with cheaper SSD as options. I actually don't think the Mini will die out, it will just get dragged along at the back.

The only reason that it mattered now was because they could use the 2.4 GHz Core 2 quad and give old G4 tower owners an easy upgrade path.

Graphics cards, Ram, HD speeds and capacity along with quad core 2 GHz+ mobile chips will be more than enough for people that an xMac simply won't offer any advantages other than possibly PCI slots. For the amount of people who use those, it's not worth another product when used Mac Pros will be under £1000 by 2009.

I'll probably get a refurb entry level Macbook Pro near 2009 which will have faster than an 8600M GT GPU and 4 processors with 2GB Ram minimum for around £1000. I'm still not happy because it means I'm still not going to get to buy another Mac for about a year whereas I would have easily put out £1000 on an xMac after MW 08. I have it sitting in the bank waiting to be spent. It isn't going on a stupid iMac or Macbook that's for sure.

I would get a MBP now but I just don't feel right about spending that much on a dual processor given that I already have a dual processor. I'd really be paying for a GPU and portability I don't need. I could get a PC quad core but I don't really want to migrate to Windows. Sigh, more waiting.