Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

When?

This is my only question.

Sorry but I don't want to be the person who buys a MBP and watches as exactly 15 days later the new and improved MBP is released.

Do. Not. Want.

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?
  • Reply 82 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    There are reports that mobile Penryn chips are facing delays due to a faulty flux capacitor or tardis or something.
  • Reply 83 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

News of an update to Penryn within the next 'few weeks' [/ducks to avoid the pedants], is welcome though long-awaited.

The main question will be around the form-factor- same or unchanged?

I know us 'pro-users' are supposed to be above such frivolities but, hey, we are seduced by new shiny things as much as the next person!

Also someone mentioned that Penryn fits on same logic boards as SR but the upcoming Woodcrest (is that right?) processors will NEED a redesign so that could be the time to do it. I reckon same form-factor till then.

Also: Do we think the Air mean no 12" PB 'do-all' replacement? Me thinks yes, lamentably.

Penyrn does fit into the current boards.

Woodcrest is the soon to be discontinued part. You mean Wolfdale. Those are also Penyrns.

Penyrn refers to all of the new chips on the 45nm process. That includes mobile, desktop, and server/workstation.
  • Reply 84 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have read one complaint that the MBA's 1280x800 resolution 13" was too low to be useable.

Too low for what?
  • Reply 85 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I don't want a MBA as my *only* computer, I just want a very portable Mac for recording sessions to go along with my cool-as-heck and oh-so-portable Duet.

wow man... ive heard those duet interfaces are really nice, but suuper expensive. ive been lookin to update my audio interface, but dont have the money as of now.
  • Reply 86 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Too low for what?

Too low to be useable is what stated. That the resolution wasn't high enough on a 13" screen to yield "acceptable" viewing results.

Complete FUD, but I find it interesting what people can find to complain about.
  • Reply 87 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Too low to be useable is what stated. That the resolution wasn't high enough on a 13" screen to yield "acceptable" viewing results.

Complete FUD, but I find it interesting what people can find to complain about.

I meant, too low to be usable for what?

The machine isn't intended for working high rez photo's, though we did that for years with 1024 x 768 displays that cost, along with the graphics board, $24,000. That was ages ago, it would cost much more today.

You do what you gotta do.
  • Reply 88 of 198
    Quote:

I meant, too low to be usable for what?

As with most whiners, he didn't go into any detail as to his reasoning.
  • Reply 89 of 198
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You should also note that the "multi-touch" trackpads have been in Apple laptops since the PowerBook G4 1.67ghz series. Two-finger scrolling is ubiquitous on Apple these days.

I wonder if Apple will include it on previous laptop generations, or if it will charge a $20 upgrade fee.

oh noes, a whole $20 for new functionality that i hadn't ever expected when i originally bought my laptop
  • Reply 90 of 198
    Wow.. the only way I can think of to respond to this article is...

DUH

What an incredible "rumor" AppleInsider!
  • Reply 91 of 198
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The new MBPs better be under 1 inch thick and weigh less than 3 pounds or I am going to be very angry!!!

Why doesn't Apple listen to their customers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post

He's being sarcastic!

Yes.

Thank you. jwdawso, for putting out that fire before it got out of hand!

I was referring to the bevy of complaints about the MBA centering around the fact that it didn't have the features of a MB or MBP. I figured that I would get in early on the complaints that the new MBP doesn't have the features of the MBA (size and weight).

But I had family issues, had to leave the computer, and was unable to reel in what the bait hooked...
  • Reply 92 of 198
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Unless you have no choice, I'd wait a bit. The month is more than half over. Good chance we'll see something by then. no promises though, just seems likely.

I've waited 6 months, I'm just going to sit it out until the things are announced and then probably sit it out another short while just to make sure the local mac store doesn't ship me an old one.

2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks .. hardly matters now, waited so long I'll just keep waiting.
  • Reply 93 of 198
    wouldn't it be brilliant if in selected applications you could actually use the track pad as a tablet?

now that would be evolutionary.
  • Reply 94 of 198
    I have been thinking of upgrading to a Macbook Pro from my 12 in. iBook. It has been a nice little laptop for my everyday uses, but I am about to go off to college and I want to install windows on it to for some of the software, and I really like the Macbook Pro, even if it is a little pricey. I may get a new one for my birthday in April, so I am hoping they update it before then, because as a guy said earlier, they haven't updated it in like 6 months, and I don't like buying an Apple product after that long because they are probably about ready to release an upgrade (even if it is just an updated, faster processor and a multi-touch pad)

Thanks.
  • Reply 95 of 198
    ah crap, i ordered a new MPB with 7200RPM when steve did not make any MBP announcements. Should I return my MBP to the apple store? Crap... crap... crap!!! i still have my 12" iBook to keep until then..
  • Reply 96 of 198
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Well, there is something called Research and Devolpment....

It was already "researched and developed"... the same applications were always in the iPhone. Don't try to justify sodomy on behalf of Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

oh noes, a whole $20 for new functionality that i hadn't ever expected when i originally bought my laptop

$5 for the "permission" to use 802.11n too on macbooks... $20 for the permission to use the same applications that are already on the iPhone, and which already work on jailbroken iPod touches.

What next, $100 to get permission to play blu-ray discs on already-installed blu-ray drives? That is preposterous.

The apologies of fanbois are fantastically ridiculous these days.
  • Reply 97 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beatmix01 View Post

ah crap, i ordered a new MPB with 7200RPM when steve did not make any MBP announcements. Should I return my MBP to the apple store? Crap... crap... crap!!! i still have my 12" iBook to keep until then..

Ordered or received?

If received do you mind the 10% restocking fee?

Do you need it now or can you wait until the next revision, no matter how long that may be?
  • Reply 98 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beatmix01 View Post

id say just keep yours because the update is probably not going to be anything huge, just a few spec upgrades
  • Reply 99 of 198
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

$5 for the "permission" to use 802.11n too on macbooks...

there are legal reasons why they had to charge for that, just in case you weren't aware.

Quote:

What next, $100 to get permission to play blu-ray discs on already-installed blu-ray drives? That is preposterous.

yes, that is preposterous, and a completely different scenario (and a ridiculous analogy, if i might add)

Quote:

$20 for the permission to use the same applications that are already on the iPhone, and which already work on jailbroken iPod touches.

as i said, for new functionality that the trackpad hadn't been designed for, i don't see a problem at all with $20. get a grip.

Quote:

The apologies of fanbois is fantastically ridiculous these days.

rofl. not a fanboi, sorry to burst your bubble, h8r... sorry, whiner.
  • Reply 100 of 198
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    LISTEN! I AM SORRY FOR BEING AN ASS EARLIER BY SAYING "6 WEEKS IS NOT SERVERAL WEEKS, ITS MONTHS" or whatever the hell I said. Let me just clear it up with you guys, your all good people and I didn't mean to piss anyone off. So yes to that other guy, you are right, several can be considered as 6 weeks. You were right, I was wrong. I was just confused and pissed that the new MacBook Pros has not shipped yet. Thanks and SORRY GUYS!