Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 198
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well something is indeed coming soon...below is a snapshot taken tonight from the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. You'll see that the 17" MacBook Pro ship time has snuck up to 2-3 weeks.

• Reply 102 of 198
    Ooohh... everybody ready???!!
  • Reply 103 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Well something is indeed coming soon...below is a snapshot taken tonight from the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. You'll see that the 17" MacBook Pro ship time has snuck up to 2-3 weeks.

Well, that would be nice, but I get a different result as of 6:54 PST on the regular site:

All this "you are an idiot" stuff is idiotic given the fact that this thread is entirely speculative. We can only speak of probabilities and can't reasonably call anyone an idiot based on their guess. Some may be more likely than others and that is as much as one can say.

Now as to what I think is more likely, I'd say that 1-3 weeks is likely. If Apple can announce new MBPs tomorrow then they could have announced them during Macworld. More likely they'll get a bit of a breather, then announce a special press event on a Tuesday around the end of the month. But, of course, I'm guessing just like everyone else. But there is a history for this. Around 4 years ago they announced new computers a few weeks after macworld.

BTW, 6 is probably more than several:

several |ˈsev(ə)rəl|

adjective & pronoun

more than two but not many :

(actually, people often use "several" for as few as two, so I'd say even that definition is a bit lacking)
  • Reply 104 of 198
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

there are legal reasons why they had to charge for that, just in case you weren't aware.

yes, that is preposterous, and a completely different scenario (and a ridiculous analogy, if i might add)

as i said, for new functionality that the trackpad hadn't been designed for, i don't see a problem at all with $20. get a grip.

rofl. not a fanboi, sorry to burst your bubble, h8r... sorry, whiner.

The legal reasons where a ploy to see how many people would cough up the money to be able to use something that they already paid for. Sorry, but that's cold money-grabbing on the part of Apple. Sarbanes-Oxley does not require Apple to charge additional fees for installing something on their products. Plain and simple.

The blu-ray analogy is perfectly suited for this discussion because it parallels perfectly what Apple did with the 802.11n capability. Perfectly. You bought function with the computer, but Apple disabled it. In order to use the function, you need to pay for it again. Perfectly suitable analogy.

You don't see a problem with $20 because you see Apple with rose-colored glasses. You would say something completely different if it were Microsoft who was charging $20 to unlock some hidden feature in the mice they sell, such as being allowed to use the fourth button on the intellimouse. You would complain in that instance, and you are right to do so. Just make sure you're not a hypocrite at the same time.
  • Reply 105 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The blu-ray analogy is perfectly suited for this discussion because it parallels perfectly what Apple did with the 802.11n capability. Perfectly. You bought function with the computer, but Apple disabled it. In order to use the function, you need to pay for it again. Perfectly suitable analogy.

...and one mustn't forget how iDVD originally would only work with **new** Apple computers with factory installed SuperDrives, just to force people to buy new computers to get this functionality. Even if you bought iLife from Apple at full retail the app was deliberately designed not to work with any computer, new or not, that didn't have an Apple-installed SuperDrive. This crippling of iDVD was entirely greed-based and had nothing to do with compatibility.

Apple has a history of not updating software-enableable functionality when new hardware is introduced. The iPods provide an example of this. The 3G iPods, for example, lacked gapless playback and lost their bookmarks if you didn't switch to another track before the iPod went into "Deep Sleep"--all software fixable issues. Apple fixed these issues in newer iPods but left those criipples in the 3G--you couldn't even pay Apple for a software fix.
  • Reply 106 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I see a lot of new guys here with their first post.

I hope it won't remain at one for long.

So, I just want to welcome you all to AI, and to have you join our (usually) friendly squabbles, and informational bloodletting.
  • Reply 107 of 198
    something is INDEED COMING... If it says 2-3 weeks, I bet you its gonna be the new mbp's TOMORROW! I am seeing 2-3 weeks as well. Don't know where your seeing 24 hours, you probably haven't refreshed the page or something.

And actually, he says Educational. So you probably have to login with a student # or something.
  • Reply 108 of 198
    seems like this thread could potentially be a long one..
  • Reply 109 of 198
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    I think I am going to try to stay out of this thread, its getting a little edgy

• Reply 110 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

something is INDEED COMING... If it says 2-3 weeks, I bet you its gonna be the new mbp's TOMORROW! I am seeing 2-3 weeks as well. Don't know where your seeing 24 hours, you probably haven't refreshed the page or something.

And actually, he says Educational. So you probably have to login with a student # or something.

I'm seeing 24 hours for all MBPs in the American Apple Store for both regular and education stores. Refreshed several times.
  • Reply 111 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm seeing 24 hours for all MBPs in the American Apple Store for both regular and education stores.

me too.
  • Reply 112 of 198
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The new MBPs better be under 1 inch thick and weigh less than 3 pounds or I am going to be very angry!!!

Why doesn't Apple listen to their customers?

• Reply 113 of 198
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The legal reasons where a ploy to see how many people would cough up the money to be able to use something that they already paid for. Sorry, but that's cold money-grabbing on the part of Apple. Sarbanes-Oxley does not require Apple to charge additional fees for installing something on their products. Plain and simple.

You don't see a problem with $20 because you see Apple with rose-colored glasses. You would say something completely different if it were Microsoft who was charging $20 to unlock some hidden feature in the mice they sell, such as being allowed to use the fourth button on the intellimouse. You would complain in that instance, and you are right to do so. Just make sure you're not a hypocrite at the same time.

you are free to have your interpretation, of course... i don't know the specifics of the precedent, however iirc, the discussion here around the added 802.11n capability was, after initial whining, generally positive as apple were early adopters of 802.11n, that a token charge was required, and that you were getting an additional benefit - for said token, yet required, charge. even if you are correct, for goodness sake it is $5 - and apple - like microsoft - is a money making venture within a capitalist society!

the blu-ray analogy does not fit as the macbooks still had wireless capability before and after the option was offered and customers were under no obligation to pay the $5. again, ridiculous scenario - even for apple which has a history of offering optical drives with lower burn speeds, or graphics cards with reduced capability (eg. iBook g4).

rose colored glasses? where here have you seen me gush over apple? just because i would be more than happy to pay $20 to improve an existing product, add extra functionality that previously it didn't have. it is better than having to buy a brand new MBP!

re: the quoted text in bold - so when apple was making trackpads for the powerbook 1.67ghz and onwards, they knew that one day they would be able to screw buyers over for another $20?? simply lollable.

oh, and btw, don't take it all so seriously!
  • Reply 114 of 198
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

oh, and btw, don't take it all so seriously!

How dare you! That's heresy.

Ten lashes.

And no pudding tomorrow.
  • Reply 115 of 198
    Quote:

you are free to have your interpretation, of course... i don't know the specifics of the precedent, however iirc, the discussion here around the added 802.11n capability was, after initial whining, generally positive as apple were early adopters of 802.11n, that a token charge was required, and that you were getting an additional benefit - for said token, yet required, charge. even if you are correct, for goodness sake it is $5 - and apple - like microsoft - is a money making venture within a capitalist society!

Actually he's wrong. I'm not sure if it's an accident or an intentional FUDing but the cost was a whopping $1.99. As for the exact reason for the charge, I can't say. I always thought it was SOx but i can't find anything that would force a company to charge for any software or how they are to go about the pricing.
  • Reply 116 of 198
    $1799 FOR THE LOW END MACBOOK PRO!? U LUCKY AMERICANS. It COSTS $2100 CAD!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 117 of 198
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How dare you! That's heresy.

Ten lashes.

And no pudding tomorrow.

that and i am unable to have children due to liking the MBair (roasted gonads)!!
  • Reply 118 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?

I bought my first 17" IMac because the salesman said that "macs' dont go on sale! Two weeks later they came out with the new Imac with a 20" screen, bigger hard drive, faster chip, etc. So much for the school of hard knocks!!!

Sad part about it is I still LOVE MACS!!! I want a MBP, BUT I WILL NOT BUY ONE UNTIL THEY UPDATE IT!!!!!!!

Once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me.
  • Reply 119 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesgirls View Post

I bought my first 17" IMac because the salesman said that "macs' dont go on sale! Two weeks later they came out with the new Imac with a 20" screen, bigger hard drive, faster chip, etc. So much for the school of hard knocks!!!

Sad part about it is I still LOVE MACS!!! I want a MBP, BUT I WILL NOT BUY ONE UNTIL THEY UPDATE IT!!!!!!!

Once burned shame on you, twice burned shame on me.

Technically speaking, new Macs don't go on sale. They just update, and sometimes if the updates don't warrant the price they drop that too. Now, there is always refurbished Macs but I don't know if I'd consider that the same as "a sale".

Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 120 of 198
    I was discussing getting a MBP with a friend and Mac user today. (And gritting my teeth waiting for this very announcement to happen, because I wants me some multi-touch trackpad action.)

He wondered if the old multi-touch trackpads might be limited, compared to the new ones.

Specifically, that while it knows that more than one finger is touching the pad, maybe the old pad can't calculate the specific positions of each finger. Instead, it just gets a general, averaged pointer position (like on other pads), plus a "finger count."

I'd love it if complex multi-touch gestures were just a friendly software update away, but if they aren't, this might explain why.